Howdy from Texas

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Howdy from Texas

Postby jss06 » Mon May 12, 2008 8:19 pm

been lurking for a while. I am not building a teardrop per se but I am going use some of the techniques to build a small camper on the front of my Jeep trailer. below is an idea of what I would like to accomplish.

jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 pm

Welcome Jss06!

Looks good! :thumbsup:
adding a camper to the Gooseneck Trailer. It might help with the gas mileage a little if you round or slope the frontal surfaces to make your frontal footpring smaller and maybe add something to the tow also like the commercial trucks use on Dry Vans and Tractors ( Tractor/trailers ). :thinking:

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodyperk6 » Tue May 13, 2008 6:14 am

Wecome & good luck with your build. What part of Texas are you from?
Woody & Tammy

One day closer.
Woodyperk6
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Tue May 13, 2008 7:34 am

I am in Carrollton almost Lewisville Just off 35E (Denton, CO.).

At the height in that picture the top of the trailer is only slightly above the top of the cab of the truck. The Cap section over the tounge will follow the Frame rails and taper toward the Hitch. This should help with aerodynamics. It will also house the electrical and any mechanical things I may add to the design leaving more room in the shell itself.
jss06

Postby angib » Tue May 13, 2008 8:26 am

Looks good.

Presumably if you drive the Jeep on forwards so its engine's at the front, you've left yourself enough open deck length to get the weight distribution right? (Yeah, probably a dumb question - but worth asking, just in case.....)

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby jss06 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 am

Yes with the weight of the camper on the front there will be enough tongue weight to keep the load steady. Also goosenecks are not affected as bad by the effects of light tongue loading as a bumper pull. The deck is 20ft. long and the front 6 feet will be occupied by the camper. The Jeep is approximately 11 Feet long. So I will have a little room to adjust the load for best towing. The deck is 83" wide which will give ample space for a bed.

The trailer is going to be completely rebuilt. I am removing the wood deck and rebuilding it using steel. The frame of the shell for the camper will be 2" square tube. This in in an effort to strengthen the trailer and make it more ridig. If you have ever seen a pipe rail gooseneck on the hightway you will understand this. I have not decided what to use for the sheeting yet.
jss06

Postby jss06 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:55 am

angib wrote:

Presumably if you drive the Jeep on forwards so its engine's at the front, you've left yourself enough open deck length to get the weight distribution right? (

The jeep is a 51/49 split oddly enough (didnt plan it that way it just happened) So it does not matter if I back it on or drive it on.
jss06

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves