Newbies from Carolina

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbies from Carolina

Postby Jon&Sue » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:57 pm

Hello All,
We are Jon & Sue from North Carolina. We are pleased to be a part of your great online community. After much contemplation we are about to embark on our first TD build. We have enjoyed looking at all of your photos and hope to add some of our own very soon.
Last edited by Jon&Sue on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not impress me with what you start, you impress me with what you finish.
Jon&Sue
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:10 pm

Hey Jon and Sue,

Welcome to the forum... Building a teardrop eh? That sounds like lots of fun. Be sure to take lots of pictures and share the fun with us! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mike C. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi Jon and Sue,

Welcome to the forum. Building can be great fun, but if you have questions, just ask, cause that's why we're here. Also be sure and post pictures as you go, so we can keep up with your progress.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi Jon and Sue, welcome to the forum. Many of us have been where you are today, planning on building a teardrop trailer. As you go through the various steps to accomplish this exhilerating effort, keep in mind that we all are looking forward to seeing the progress pictures, which we are sure you will be taking.

Now, only a few minor desisions must be made. How long, how wide, profile, galley layout, exterior covering, one or two doors, type of mattress and interior storage, to name a few. We make it real easy for you to decide. Just click onto the Hall of Fame and the other TD builders info sections and you will get all kinds of ideas. By all means, be sure to ask any questions you need answers to and remember, we're here to help. It's easy, even kids have done it. Good luck on your build.........post those pics.
Roly....remembering the wonderful lighthouses in your state....... :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Jon&Sue » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome! I will be sure to take lots of photos of the build.
I have uploaded a small pic of my proposed shape.
Here are the ideas so far...
It will be built on a custom 5x9 trailer with a torsion axle, and 13" aluminum wheels. I am thinking 2x2 16ga steel for the frame and 2x3 11 ga steel for the A-frame tongue. I am planning to tie the tongue back through the second rig and into the sides of the frame.
I am still undecided about the exterior. I am leaning towards epoxied plywood and epoxy paint. Does this method result in a smooth finish? My other option is aluminum skin. I am very open to opinions on this part of the build. We like the idea of double doors, and a storage box on the tongue. I like the plywood & foam for the top and sides. My days playing with rc planes, tell me that this is a great construction method.
The galley details are still undecided. Sue is in charge of that area. I just have to comply with her wishes, and make it happen!
I want to go AC & DC/solar on the power.
That is the plan so far. Please feel free to critique it at will. I am open to any and all ideas.
Looking forward to sharing,
Jon & Sue
You do not impress me with what you start, you impress me with what you finish.
Jon&Sue
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:20 pm

Jon&Sue wrote:I have uploaded a small pic of my proposed shape.
Here are the ideas so far...

Looks like a good start! Welcome to the party!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Image to the playground Jon and Sue. Looks you have a start. Good plan and profile. :thumbsup:

Now just keep the bubble oil level with lots of :pictures: :question: :designing: :hammer:

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves