Campster 12: Hi From Flushing Michigan

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Campster 12: Hi From Flushing Michigan

Postby jerryf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi Folks

I've been spending a lot of time at this and other forums and TD and TTT sites the last few days and finally jumped in and joined. I've looked at so much I can't remember where I found some jewels that I wanted to return to.

I really admire Roly's woody 1/2 Nelson and many more.

I helped my Dad and others build a Gloucester Dory a few years ago and I've recently been doing some small wood projects but a TD would be my biggest project yet, besides gutting my house and rebuilding it.

I have camped in many things over the years, tents, pickup camper, 5th wheel trailer but I like the idea of something medium size. Maybe a variation of the Campster 12.

I could use some help re-finding a posting I saw where Grant Whipp showed how he constructed sides by cutting out 3/4 plywood and filled in the voids with insulating foam. Grant do you remember that post or can you help me understand that construction technique?

Well enough for now. Looking forward to learning, building, and camping.

Jerry Fields
jerryf
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:13 pm

Welcome to the forum Jerry.

I'm sure Grant will be along, but meanwhile, take a look at my Generic ET photos... similar but different!

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... highlight=

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mike C. » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you are looking forward to you build and that you have an idea of what you want to build. Just to keep everyone's bubble oil level, be sure and post lots of pictures when you begin your build, so we can keep up with your progress.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:48 pm

Image to the playground Jerry. Haven't seen Grant's foam so it must be hidden very well. You can almost always find a post of his and get an email or PM and I am real sure he will respond.

There is also this thread with one of his on it.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=22952

That should give you a good start. The ET is awesome too. :thumbsup:

Oh and the bubble oil thing---mine gets a bit off if there aren't enough pictures. 8) :shock: :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Thanks

Postby jerryf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:33 pm

Thanks for the welcomes Mike, Uncle Mike and Aunti M. And thanks for the pointers of things to look at. Been looking at Mike's site and Rich's list etc etc.

I've read quite a bunch of all of your posts in the last few days. This is going to be fun.

Jerry
jerryf
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:51 am

Hi Jerry, welcome to the best TD site on the web. Now how can I not respond after you laid those cudos on my little teardrop. There are a bunch of tears that have been built by members of this forum, and many are truely works of art. Some are so immaculate that if I owned them, I would haul them to a gathering in an enclosed trailer. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the time to devote to spend the endless hours on teardrop building. I sure could not have done so, had I not been retired and looking for a woodworking project.

If you have built a wooden boat, gutted and remodeled your house, building a nice teardrop should be a cinch. Continue to check out the various info sites on the board, there is a wealth of information there. If you want to contact Grant, click on this website: http://www.forum.teardrops.net/simpleforum_pro.cgi

Post a message there for him and you should hear from him by "return mail". There are a number of teardroppers in Michigan, perhaps you will hear from them when they read your post. By all means, take lots of pics and post em, you can't go back and take pics later. Good luck on your build, ask more questions when they come up. We're here to help.

Roly.......li'l ol' So Cal woody guy ;)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves