First camp-out!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

First camp-out!

Postby darhymes » Sat May 31, 2008 11:42 am

We completed the big work on our Lil' Bear just in time to get out of town for a night and give the teardrop a trial run. What a great little camper! Our Honda CR-V towed very well, even up to the 4300' elevation of Palomar Mountain. We found a tent site that looked better than the RV sites (more scenic and secluded) and parked the teadrop and the Honda. After we disconnected the teardrop and "popped" it open, I started a campfire. We kinda looked stood there for a minute looking around figuring there must be more to do (we are used to putting out the tarp, setting up the tent, putting the stuff in the tent, getting out the campstove and cooking stuff, etc...) and that's where we both got the idea of teardrop camping. Everything is pretty much ready to go once you get the teardrop opened!
:thumbsup:
The night got pretty cold (low 30's), but we stayed warm and dry in the cabin with a down comforter and an extra throw blanket. Frank (our Pug) liked the warmth inside the camper and come morning we were amazed at how comfortable we were-even with the ceiling vent open and the side windows cracked open for ventilation. We made up a list of things to outfit the teardrop and are really looking forward to the next campout! :thumbsup:

The first campout! Enjoying a delicious cup of french press coffee.
Our tow rig
Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

— Captain Rex Kramer, in the movie 'Airplane.'
darhymes
Donating Member

Postby del » Sat May 31, 2008 12:13 pm

Hey there are ways to complicate set up. I have seen rooms made of tarps made in the kitchen area. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you like. I personally like the simplicity, and as of yet have never unhooked the trailer to camp. Enjoy your tear, and the simplicity of it.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Mike C. » Sat May 31, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi darhymes,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you all had a great camping trip. Nice looking trailer and TV. Hope you get in and fun with the rest of the inmates.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby emiller » Sat May 31, 2008 10:54 pm

Nice looking trailer and it sits real nice.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Sat May 31, 2008 11:01 pm

Congrats!!! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Teardrop Dance Time!!!

:M :dancing :M :wakka wakka: :M :running man: :M :wakka wakka: :M :dancing :M

Mk :D
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby looped » Sat May 31, 2008 11:58 pm

looks like you guys are having a great time there.. i have one question though. does the tires rub the fenders at all? to my untrained eye it doesnt look like there is alot of room there.
"face it man. It's just not possible to fry an egg with a bicycle powered hairdryer!"
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Tires rubbing?

Postby darhymes » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:49 am

Yeah, we were concerned about that when we bought it. The previous owner assured us that the tires will not rub. After driving it on this trip (we actually drove some dirt roads and went over a few bumps) we found no signs of rubbing at all. I think we owe this to the torsion axle and the small rise inside the wheel well which the tire fits nicely inside.
Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

darhymes
Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:47 pm

I agree, that's a neat little campground with nice views. Claremont, huh. Shucks you came within 3 miles of my place here in Wildomar, just south of Corona on I-15, and you didn't even stop by to say hello. Oh well, perhaps next time, the coffee is always on. Welcome to the non-tenter's group, now you know thatsetting up a teardrop is reallly a snap.
Roly, So Cal woody guy....... ;)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:27 pm

Very sweet setup! Is there enough leg room in there for you?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Sleeping room

Postby darhymes » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:09 pm

It's just a bit short for me...If I stretch out in it from head to toe, there is about 1" to spare, but I found if I sleep a little sideways, there is plenty of room. That being said, TD#2 will have some more legroom. I seem to have an affinity for things that I barely fit in...have you seen my airplane? :?

darhymes
Donating Member

Postby TheBizMan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:21 pm

Nice plane, but I would rather stay on the ground in the TD. :)
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves