Hello from Minnesota

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Minnesota

Postby bobber19 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 am

I've been a registered member for awhile now. I haven't really had much to say. I've been reading everything about building my own teardrop and I'm happy to say that I believe I am picking up my trailer this weekend and that will force me to get off my hind end and at least start building even though I haven't totally decided what to build.

Many awesome trailers are shown on this site. I hope to do as well.

I am building my tear on a 5x8 trailer purchased from Northern. I plan to extend it to about 10 feet, by over hanging the back and front. I will need to install a longer tongue on the trailer, but the trailer is on sale for $239, and at that price I couldnt build one, and Im also no welder!

I look forward to the build and to get to know some of you awesome builders.
-bob
bobber19
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MrBuzz » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:41 am

Welcome!
Good to see another builder in the area.
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:44 am

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome from a fellow Minnesotan! I hope to have mine done in time for a small get together on July 20th and 21st. Check out the "Suggest a Gathering" section. Maybe you can come out and join us!
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:51 am

Image to the playground/funny farm Bob. Would love to see a url of where to get that trailer :twisted:

Would also love to see on going :pictures: :pictures: or your build. Gotta keep the madones happy and the bubble oil level.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Northern tool trailer

Postby bobber19 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:17 am

Miriam,

That trailer doesnt appear to be in their online catalog. It seems its only available at the stores. Its called the "5x8 no floor". Its on sale from the stores here in Minnesota. You can go to www.northerntool.com, click on the locations, go to a Minnesota store ( I used Minnetonka ), and then click on vue ad. its on the front page in the lower left corner.

I plan on fully documenting my build. It might be ugly at first but I want to do a good job with the pics and uploading them, I have seen a few photo series that when you click on them the dont open up full screen size and I hope to be able to do that.
-bob
bobber19
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Northern tool trailer

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:05 pm

bobber19 wrote:Miriam,

That trailer doesnt appear to be in their online catalog. It seems its only available at the stores. Its called the "5x8 no floor". Its on sale from the stores here in Minnesota. You can go to www.northerntool.com, click on the locations, go to a Minnesota store ( I used Minnetonka ), and then click on vue ad. its on the front page in the lower left corner.

I plan on fully documenting my build. It might be ugly at first but I want to do a good job with the pics and uploading them, I have seen a few photo series that when you click on them the dont open up full screen size and I hope to be able to do that.
-bob

Bob, I used the same trailer frame for my build. If I were you I'd be careful about overhanging the front of the trailer. It has a very short tongue and you might not have a lot of clearance between the trailer and your tow vehicle.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

hi tim

Postby bobber19 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Tim,
I have already decided to lengthen the tongue and add two diagonal braces going back under 2 cross members and attaching to the side rails. I am also going to go to 14 inch tires. Ill take any advice any of you "experts" care to offer.
-bob

BTW we are practically neighbors, Im near Waconia.
bobber19
Teardrop Inspector

Re: hi tim

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:11 pm

bobber19 wrote:Tim,
I have already decided to lengthen the tongue and add two diagonal braces going back under 2 cross members and attaching to the side rails. I am also going to go to 14 inch tires. Ill take any advice any of you "experts" care to offer.
-bob

BTW we are practically neighbors, Im near Waconia.

Sounds like you got the frame figured out! I'm putting 13" tires on mine. I wanted to make it look better with nicer rims and a softer ride than the 12 inchers offered.

Waconia is only 28 miles from me! I've driven through there many times!
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

my build

Postby bobber19 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:13 am

Tim,
I may go with the 13" tires as well, at least to start with. I can leave the fenders in place and upgrade in the future. Did you trade the 12's for the 13's at the time of purchase? Im hoping to do some horsetrading on saturday when I make the purchase and upgrade a bit.
-bob
bobber19
Teardrop Inspector

Re: my build

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:10 am

bobber19 wrote:Tim,
I may go with the 13" tires as well, at least to start with. I can leave the fenders in place and upgrade in the future. Did you trade the 12's for the 13's at the time of purchase? Im hoping to do some horsetrading on saturday when I make the purchase and upgrade a bit.
-bob

Northern tool has some nice aluminum rims in 13" but they are pricey. I found a much better deal on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/13-ALUMINUM-TRAILER-PAIR-OF-WHEELS-MOTOR-CYCLE-SKI-2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43954QQihZ025QQitemZ380033303745QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If I could do it again I would probably get something like these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=USW%2D52%2D4710&N=700+4294923107+4294923106+1004+215+115&autoview=sku
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

thanks Tim

Postby bobber19 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:16 pm

Those are nice wheels, the ebay ones.

Perhaps I could get the tour of your tear before I start mine?
Im so undecided as to the profile. I need all the length I can get, I have a 53 pound Goldendoodle that goes everywhere with us and I want room for her to sleep at my feet. I also am sort of addicted to coleman campstoves and they occassionally flare up during start-up, so I am wondering if the open overhead hatch might be an issue.
Right now I am considering a modified Benroy profile, stretched to about 9 feet long, 5 foot wide. I like the look of "scooters road camper" and its rear drop down door, and the short hatch cover. Im sketching out something like that, but playing with a vertical back and a fold down counter -eliminating the issue of fire with a flare up. The drawback to that is the square back that isnt that lovely rounded teardrop form...still pondering that detail
-bob
bobber19
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike C. » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your build, so keep the photos coming. Glad you decided to join and hope you enjoy yourself.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves