Newbie from South Africa

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from South Africa

Postby bgordon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:15 am

Hi All,

Well, I thought it was high time that I get out of my lurking hole. I have joined this forum in April this year, and have somewhat become addicted to it. Man, it’s great to read about what you all are doing.

I would have loved to be at Minden, but this was only a dream, since I am living in South Africa.

It’s great to read about all of you – Miriam C being the hen that welcomes the newbies (b.t.w, I hope your health’s holding up!), Steve Wolverton building the Puffin in record time, Mike (S) with his great designs (I think the Optimized WW/Escape Hatch is the best design ever!), and Steve Frederick’s superb woodies.

Anyway, here I am. I have been designing my RV for more than a year now, and have gone through many design changes. I have still not made up my mind about the final design, but I’m getting there! As soon as I have anything worthwhile to share, I’ll get the pictures going to keep everyone informed.

Thanks again for the great forum.

Barrie
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:42 am

I see you have decided to come out to play Barrie! 8) Would love to see some pictures of SA. :thumbsup:

As you know by now we do love to tease a bit so jump right in. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bgordon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:59 am

Hi Miriam,

I suspected you might be the first to post. Guess I was right. Thanks! :lol:

I'll post a few pics from my other computer within the next day or so. I know you love the pics -something about the oil level?? :bounce:
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:11 am

SOUTH AFRICA!? HOLY CRAP!!! GET OUT THE METRIC CONVERTER!!!

Welcome, Barrie. I work with a girl from Durban.

Man, you people talk FUNNY.

As opposed to us former Brooklynites, who speak the REAL King's English.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:04 am

Ira wrote:As opposed to us former Brooklynites, who speak the REAL King's English.

That's what that is??? I just thought it was something akin to talking with a mouth full of marbles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome aboard bgordon, it can be entertaining around here!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby bgordon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:15 am

Ira: Thanks for the welcome. And yes, I work everything back to metric (grew up with it). These inches and feet thingies are crazy, :? , (although my dad wouldn't agree - he loved his imperial system).

Nitetimes: Thanks, I couldn't have said it better - especially from someone (me) who's SECOND language is English! :thinking:
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:59 am

Barrie, welcome aboard...you have the important things figured(pics) already...they don't havvta be of the trailer/build...they can be of you, the better half, the kids/yard/house/car/neighbor and since very few of us will ever visit your lovely country, how about a few landscape shots of the veldt and such.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:01 am

Nitetimes wrote:That's what that is??? I just thought it was something akin to talking with a mouth full of marbles.

With my accent, that would be an IMPROVEMENT.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi bgordon. Welcome to the club. :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:53 pm

Hey, Barrie, you're the representative here of a whole continent, as I don't think we've got anyone from any other African country!

But we have had a look at a few Zuid Afrikan fold-out trailers - some interesting designs there.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Hey Barrie,

Welcome to the forum. So you like the optimized Winter Warrior. Good choice! :lol: 8) :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mike C. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Hi Barrie,

Welcome to the forum. I see you have met my wife Miriam above. Beware the curse of the bubble oil. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Re: Newbie from South Africa

Postby Joanne » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:47 pm

Barrie,

Welcome to the madhouse! Escape is impossible so you might as well enjoy your stay.

What city do you live in. When I was 14 my dad and I traveled in Africa. Two of our stops were in Johannesburg and Cape Town. I loved my time there. Cape Town was one of the most beautiful cities that I have ever seen.

So, do you have to build your tear with lion-proof walls? :lol:

Joanne

bgordon wrote:Hi All,

Well, I thought it was high time that I get out of my lurking hole. I have joined this forum in April this year, and have somewhat become addicted to it. Man, it’s great to read about what you all are doing.

I would have loved to be at Minden, but this was only a dream, since I am living in South Africa.

It’s great to read about all of you – Miriam C being the hen that welcomes the newbies (b.t.w, I hope your health’s holding up!), Steve Wolverton building the Puffin in record time, Mike (S) with his great designs (I think the Optimized WW/Escape Hatch is the best design ever!), and Steve Frederick’s superb woodies.

Anyway, here I am. I have been designing my RV for more than a year now, and have gone through many design changes. I have still not made up my mind about the final design, but I’m getting there! As soon as I have anything worthwhile to share, I’ll get the pictures going to keep everyone informed.

Thanks again for the great forum.

Barrie
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby bgordon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:50 am

Steve Wolverton: Thanks for the welcome.

Andrew: Yep, it seems that the rest of the world is not really represented in this forum. :cry:

Mikeschn: I think the WW/Escape hatch is one of the best designs here. When I saw it for the first time, I didn't take much notice. But then when I really looked at it, I knew this could be the right concept for me! (I personally think you do the design a disservice by calling it a Winter Warrior. This RV is great for ALL occasions, summer, winter, weekend camping, bugout, etc...)

Mike C: Thanks for the welcome. The bubble oil will be level soon - just look at the pics below. :)

Joanne: I live in Johannesburg. Yes, Cape town is beautiful, but is ugly compared to some places. If you ever get the opportunity to come to South Africa again, do yourself a favour and travel the Garden Route. It's not called the garden route for nothing, you know! But yes, as cities go, Cape town is beautiful.

Well, I suppose the tear will have to be lion proof when camping in the Nature reserves!! :D Luckilly the camps are all fenced in. The tear will have to be baboon proof though. They are a real nuisance!

Let's see if I can get a few pictures going in the next post.....

Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Some pics

Postby bgordon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:55 am

Hi All,

Let's see if I can get the picture thingie right. :worship:

Here's my oldest daughter with the car that her granddad gave her. In the back you can see my current caravan (that's what we call them here in SA.)

Here's a pic taken earlier this year on the banks of the Vaal river (one of SA's largest rivers.) By the way, South Africa is generally a dry country, and not so tropical as it might seem. (Only in the rest of Africa is it really tropical).

Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves