New teardrop builder from So Cal

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New teardrop builder from So Cal

Postby darhymes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:44 pm

After much deliberation and a couple weeks of research I have decided to build a teardop. I love tent camping, but my wife would like a few more amenities so I think this is going to be a very happy medium. As you can probably already tell, I have been bitten by the teardrop bug...I have no choice but to go forward and build!

My first building projects were wooden kayaks (Yare, Coho, Arctic Tern), so I think I should be able to handle the building process with some additional tools. I am hoping to be finished in time for some late summer camping with my wife, but living in California means that there are plenty of places to enjoy year-round!
8)
Let me also say that the support and wealth of knowledge available on this site is absolutely incredible. From this site I have been able to download the free Generic Benroy plans (thanks, by the way), decide on where to get a trailer made (going with a welded up model for a 5x8 with 14" wheels), and find information on every component of the future teardrop. Unbelievable. Thanks in advance for all your comments and support...I am looking forward to sharing my building process with all of you!
Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

— Captain Rex Kramer, in the movie 'Airplane.'
darhymes
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Welcome!!! Do I foresee a woody in the making? This should be a piece of cake for you. I paddled one of those Pygmy Sea Kayaks a couple years ago and really liked it...I don't remember which model it was...but the builder had bought the full kit and I was impressed with the quality of materials.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:42 pm

Image to the playground darhymes. :twisted: Looking forward to this one :thumbsup: That is a request to please remember to take lots of :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: cause it keeps the bubble oil level. ;) 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby darhymes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:48 pm

Sorry folks...this teardrop is going to be all aluminum skinned for durability and ease of maintenance (besides I really like aluminum) so no woody. As for the Pygmy Kayaks: There is probably not a better kit kayak on the market...I have built two beautiful kit kayaks from Pygmy and will be building a third (this time a double!) later this year. The first kayak I built was from plans and is certainly the reason I ended building kits later (the plans had incorrect measurements). I certainly hope that I am making the right decision to build from scratch on the teardrop!

Thanks again for the support in my efforts. I will be sure to take many pictures and document the process as completely as possible (don't worry Miriam) for everyone to view. I am on a trip right now, but when I get home I will begin the process by ordering a trailer. To be continued...
"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back-- Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. BEGIN IT NOW." -Goethe (maybe)

Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

darhymes
Donating Member

Postby Dean_A » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:42 pm

Welcome! If you can build a boat, you can build a teardrop. My skills are strictly of the weekend handyman variety, and I've had no trouble at all. I'm still not done, but that's another story.
I'm also going aluminum. I just love the look!
--Dean
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:41 pm

I certainly hope that I am making the right decision to build from scratch on the teardrop!

8) :lol: Just remember when you get all those lines marked---lay down in it and make sure you fit. :twisted: If I can do it most people can. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum... Aluminum is nice too... so take lots of pictures! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu May 01, 2008 1:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, the place with all of the answers. That sure is one nice bi-plane you are pictured with. I suppose you are a pilot too, and if so, fly on down to French Valley and I'll pick you up and we can talk a little flying and a lot of teardrop. The coffee is always on.
Roly, Wildomar, CA :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

supplies

Postby kartvines » Thu May 01, 2008 4:45 pm

You have So. Cal Teardrop in your area, Gabe is a great guy to work with , bought many of my parts from him, you can find him at 10767 S. Monte Vista in Ontario, 909-590-2700
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby darhymes » Thu May 01, 2008 11:49 pm

I took my wife over to SoCal Teardrops the other day just to let her see one in real life. She is very excited to begin construction. I wasn't sure if SoCal Teardrops sold parts individually, but they do have some great ideas (galley pass-through, nice electric fan, stout trailer with welded fenders, etc...). We would really like to purchase the kit, but the price is a bit out of range for us. Beautiful teardrop, though, and very sturdy.

Thanks for the invite, Roly. I haven't been to French Valley for a while so it would be a good excuse to fly out there. Talking about flying and teardrops over a cup of coffee is time well spent!

darhymes
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves