Mississippi checking in

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Mississippi checking in

Postby tinksdad » Wed May 07, 2008 8:55 am

Greetings and salutations to one and all.

It must have been 20 years ago that I saw an article in Mother Earth News on building a compact foldout camp kitchen based on a 40x48 trailer. It intrigued me, but I felt at the time there could be more. I hadn't heard of TD's back then. Any how.... at the time I had a wife and 2 young children who were not interested in camping in anything less than a full pop-up camper with real beds and the whole nine yards. Bigger would have better in their opinion. The kids have grown up and the wife is now an "ex". I came across Tear Drops while surfing the net about three years ago and fell in love with the concept. Unfortunately, at the time, I was living in an apartment and didn't have the space or where withal to do much else but dream about building my own Tear. I kept coming back to the forums and reading and looking at everybody else's ideas and finished Tears. I'm out of the apartment and the bug has bitten me big time now. I'm only in the visualization and planning stage; but I hope to have something completed enough to be camping in by early fall. I reloaded Google Sketchup into the computer and over the past two weeks or so, have designed/drawn and scrapped several plans. My tastes are rather simple, so mine probably won't be as tricked out as some of the pictures I've seen; just functional.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading and re-reading the posts in the Ultra-Light thread recently. My goal is to keep it as light weight as possible; but I think I will end up with some type of hybrid between framed and frameless Tear, mainly because of the hassle getting it titled. Using the info posted in one of the threads and pictures from their web-site, I did put together in Sketchup, a model of the TSC trailer that I am trying to base my designs on. (I like the idea that the TSC comes with a title!) I did have a thought cross my mind at work last night about using a boat trailer and going the Ultra-Light route. After all, a boat trailer is really nothing more than an axle and a tongue with some extra brackets added here and there. So it could end up being a modified Ultra-light. And boat trailers come with titles.

The thought of building the galley hatch still intimidates me; but I will have no choice but to get over it when the time comes.

This was supposed to be just a short intro. It has gotten rather long. I will end now and give everybody a chance to take shots at the new kid on the block.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 07, 2008 9:23 am

The galley hatch is just a big door. Mine was cheap and dirty.

My galley wall was 2x4 studded and the top plate was a full 2x4 following the curve of the side profile. The curved members ( There are 4 but only 2 are in this shot) were engineered lumber rim board 1 1/8 x 11 7/8 monster boards. I traced the side profile and added a 2x4 top and bottom. there are 4 ~ 6"strap hinges screwed into the galley wall 2x4 and following down each rib and screwed into the top galley lid 2x4 and the ribs to keep them from seperating. I used a bottom seal for a garage door on the side profile for a weather seal. The hinge area was covered with tyvec house wrap under the hinges and under the top. After the top was added I covered again with black rubber shelf liner and anchored top and bottom with aluminum strips 1/4 x 1. Has sat outside all winter uncovered and works great.

Yeah ! I'm the nut with the see thru roof .
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tinksdad » Wed May 07, 2008 10:47 am

I LIKE the see thru roof!!! It's hard to tell from the picture. Is it just on the galley? Or is the main cabin done the same way too??

DUH JERRY!!! Just go look at the pics in the album! Boy, being a newbie is really showing today. It must be what's left of my blond roots.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 07, 2008 10:59 am

There is a shot look up through it and if you go back to page 6 or 7 there is a shot of the galley wall partially built.

You didn't even ask about the can goods I am surprised !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tinksdad » Wed May 07, 2008 11:01 am

I saw them as I was looking through the album. I was going to comment on it. I like the idea!! One moving part and Mother Nature (Gravity) provides the force required for operation.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 07, 2008 11:12 am

It was a prototype throw together self leveling shelf. I still want to run one full length. with a back and a small front lip. When in transit it would be closed against the hatch. It's real handy and not in the way at all which surprised me. At the top select sdtrippers2.index scroll down to #5 for the galleys. This one index will solve just about every problem you can think of and a very valuable tool.

Look for the "Galley gallery " there were hundreds of great ideas in it and it shows how many attacked the hatch build.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 08, 2008 8:23 pm

Image to the playground. The Generic Benroy plans will get you as quick and easy as you could ask for. So also the Ultra lite.

We just need one thing----keep the bubble oil level with lots of :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Dean_A » Thu May 08, 2008 8:35 pm

Welcome! The curved parts always seem harder than they actually are. I just finished my hatch, and I put it together in a weekend. Just some curves cut out of plywood with a sabre saw, some 1x2 supports, and some thin plywood over the top. Nothing to it! Just take your time.

Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby gipsey » Thu May 08, 2008 9:08 pm

welcome , be happy don't worry. I've built 5 tears and all five had different hatches. there a lot easyier than they look, good luck. roger
gipsey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mike C. » Thu May 08, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi tinksdad,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you know what you want to build, so now all you've got to do is build it. Be sure and post lots of pictures along the way. This keeps everyone happy and allows us to see your progress, and also gives ideas where you're at, if you have a problem.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby tinksdad » Sat May 10, 2008 5:43 pm

For getting started the quickest, I should probably base my first build on the generic Benroy; but I like the curves of the Ultralight from that thread so much more!! I spent some time on Sketchup yesterday and put together some concept drawings. It is basically the Ultralight with the lower curves front and rear removed (and some other mods). Screen captures are in my album. Sketchup is cool, but there are a million and one details that I need to work out as soon as I get the hang of one of the CAD programs I downloaded. Basically my decision on what to build will be determined on what base trailer frame I choose. I don't weld, but having a frame custom fabricated is still an option. If that's the case, I will more than likely go with the full Ultralight profile.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby tinksdad » Sat May 24, 2008 3:36 pm

It's two weeks later (with some time off to attend my daughters college graduation)..... and I've finally come to a decision. I've tossed around a lot of design ideas; Benroy, Kenskil, yada yada yada!! I kept drifting back to the pics of Roly's Quarter Nelson and Dave's Frameless Woody because I want to keep the weight down to a bare minimum. I decided on a single sleeper with a smaller hatch that should meet my needs. I am single and too old to start looking for a camping partner!! The cabin will be 78x41 inches with a headroom of approximately 39" based on the HF mini 48x40 frame with 12" wheels. Just about the same interior room as the tent I am currently using. I plan on triangulating the tongue for my own piece of mind (as well as being able to add a battery or tongue box if I so decide). The floor will be a sandwich construction of 1 x dimensional lumber skinned on both sides with ply and will become a part of the structural integrity. Even though it will probably be a "shin buster" I am going to add extensions to the frame for a rear bumper so I can mount a carrier for my mountain bike. The current plan is to re-use the stock fenders and tail lights from the HF trailer for budgetary reasons, but that could change. Also haven't quite decided on exterior finish as of yet. I know it won't have much of a re-sale value; but what the H*LL, you only go around once!! And there is always the possibility of a second or third tear. if the economy keeps going the way it is, I might just end up living in it full time!!!

I drove into Memphis yesterday to the HF store; but they didn't have the trailer I wanted in stock. I ordered one (courtesy of George W. and the Stimulus Check!!), and when it arrives and get it assembled I know I will have to make some modifications to my design. I've taken the first step and committed myself now. There are probably a thousand and one decisions to be made along the way; but I will be uploading some Sketchup images to my album if anybody is interested in seeing what I have come up with thus far ("proto-quarter" is what you will be looking for). I left off the street side wall and the interior skinning, but it should be a good representation of my intentions. No pics yet, but I did layout the profile on some large corrugated packaging material (cardboard!!) that I absconded from work. As work progresses I will move this to a different thread.

Some quick calculations.... finished dry weight should be about 450 - 500 pounds. According to the excel worksheet, about 12.5% tongue weight (69 pounds). Overall length 112".

It definitely won't be campable by the Morrilton, AK gathering in June; but as of right now I do plan on throwing the tent in the truck and meeting some of the tear droppers and picking their brains!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 24, 2008 10:25 pm

:thumbsup: Tinksdad, sounds like you have a good plan going there. Enjoy and be sure to keep the bubble oil level with lots of pictures. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves