Cheers from Minnesota

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Cheers from Minnesota

Postby straightriverrat » Tue May 13, 2008 8:43 pm

Just ran across this site and knew I had to join. I have a 19?? Kit Teardrop that I am now redoing for a second time. Remodeling this time includes - New ribs on the back hatch, All new cabinets, Refinishing interior, New side door hinge, New paint to frame, wheels, windows, and fenders.... Etc. For its age it is in quite good shape with all original plywood, skin, frame, axle and fenders. I have owned this for about twenty years and was told by a previous owner that this was the second prototype built by Kit in 1936. While I am a bit doubtful of this, it is unique in that it has older style steel fenders, only one side door and an axle with leaf springs with chevy six hole rims. From studying the teardrop, you can tell that all of these were original and not added later. It also has a "36" and a "2" stamped on the hitch. No matter what the year really is, it is a cool little trailer that attracts attention whenever we've had it out. Looking forward to getting together with other TDers' in our area.
straightriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue May 13, 2008 10:41 pm

Welcome to the board. Do you suppose you could post some pics of your "maybe" 1936 teardrop? That would help us all see what you have got and perhaps suggest some hints regarding restoration. Good luck.
Roly :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed May 14, 2008 10:30 am

Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan!
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

My Teardrop - "The Knipper"

Postby straightriverrat » Wed May 14, 2008 8:36 pm

Just added several pics of the "Knipper" my 19?? Kitteardrop. If anyone has a guess on the actual age I would be grateful. I do have more pics that I took before I started restoring if that would be helpful.
straightriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My Teardrop - "The Knipper"

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed May 14, 2008 8:38 pm

straightriverrat wrote:Just added several pics of the "Knipper" my 19?? Kitteardrop. If anyone has a guess on the actual age I would be grateful. I do have more pics that I took before I started restoring if that would be helpful.

If anyone can figure out the age of your tear just from a picture, it will be Gage.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed May 14, 2008 9:39 pm

Image to the playground SRR. Have you got a name? Your sign in name will make for some long typing. ;) that is a great TD. I don't do age but Grant or Gage will surly be able to tell you. I find the fenders odd in that they are so high. :thinking:

Keep the pictures coming. We just love them and they keep the bubble oil level.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

More pics

Postby straightriverrat » Thu May 15, 2008 9:53 am

I added more pics to help figure out my TDs age. Sorry about the long name I use but an old timer here in Faribault gave me that nickname years ago. (I live on the Straight River and paddle it often). My actual name is Gary. As soon as I can I will send some pics of where I am now with the TD. Not too far but the windows, door, hatch, and spare tire holder are off. The cabinets are out and the sidewalls are sanded. Bottom of front panel was loose so I replaced the wood behind it and added an extra piece of aluminum to the pitted bottom of the front panel. I can't find much time to work on it right now but it will be back on the road sometime this summer.

Gary
straightriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ratfinkster » Thu May 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Welcome Gary. Nice to see another fellow Minnesotan, plus a close neighbor. Would love to see your tear. Hopefully we can run into each other at a campground or gathering soon.

Dennis
Ratfinkster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu May 15, 2008 5:14 pm

There is a small gathering in Pine City, MN at the end of the month. Check out the "Suggest a Gathering" section.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Get together

Postby straightriverrat » Sun May 18, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks for the tip Tim but I don't think my Tear will be on the road by the end of the month. Right now my goal is to have it far enough along to pull it up north to a gathering with my wifes family on June 20th. LOL.

Gary
straightriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Few more pics taken today

Postby straightriverrat » Sun May 18, 2008 10:08 pm

Just added a couple of pics of where I am at with my teardrop as of today. When I said before that I was doubtful of a previous owner telling me this was a "36" well I now believe that was pure B.S. because his proof was the 36 stamped on the hitch. After some sanding today I found that the 36 was just part of a number. The whole # is 2713644. The last 4 is laying on it's back. There is also a 2 stamped a couple of inches above this # and another 2 stamped a couple of inches below this #. Will any of this possibly help me find out the year? I have never properly titled this TD and it would be nice to come up with the year so I could do so. Would it help to post this question someplace else on this site?

Gary
straightriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Get together

Postby TPMcGinty » Mon May 19, 2008 8:13 am

straightriverrat wrote:Thanks for the tip Tim but I don't think my Tear will be on the road by the end of the month. Right now my goal is to have it far enough along to pull it up north to a gathering with my wifes family on June 20th. LOL.

Gary

I don't think mine will be ready by the end of the month either. I will probably be in my tent, hopefully for the last time.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby kayaklover » Tue May 20, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi and welcome Gary,

Nice to see another fellow Minnesotan on here. There is a vintage trailer gathering in Montello Wi. June 19-22. There might be someone there that would know about your trailer. There will be several of us teardroppers there from the area and we'd love to meet you.

Lori
Lori
Co-Director
St. Croix Tearjerkers
kayaklover
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:57 pm

Does everyone in Minnesota spend their time in a kayak? Look at all the Avatars! :lol:

Here in Phoenix, where one must travel great distances to water, if one owns a boat, it is usually BIG! $>

I don't own a boat. Don't own a fishing pole. Don't do much that doesn't require motion. Would love to kayak - did it once in Hawaii - but no water here. :thinking:

Welcome, Gary!

- Cliff
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Thanks for all the welcomes

Postby straightriverrat » Thu May 29, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi All,
I've been working quite a bit on restoring my Kit. I'll send some more pics soon. Been doing some homework on the year and I would say it's a 1945 because it has only 1 door, it has fenders other than the fiberglass of the 1946 and it has leaf springs that were probably installed by someone that bought this as a kit. But... did the Kit Manufacturing sell a few of these in 1944 because the numbers stamped on the the tongue plate were 2713644?

Gary
straightriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves