New from Oregon

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New from Oregon

Postby MarkR » Sun May 18, 2008 8:54 pm

Hello, All. My wife and I had been looking for a way to enjoy camping but sleep on a mattress and lose the tent. Then I stumbled across a teardrop trailer - sleep in a bed and get a kitchen to boot!

At first, I liked the idea of building (me, of the shop full of tools) but Meg had other ideas, reminding me that I had enough projects. (I like the way the woman thinks, talking me out of more work this way.) So we've struck on the idea of buying a trailer and modifying it over time to fit our needs.

I've been lurking on this list for a while, trying to learn everything I can. And also shopping for trailers online. So far, I'm most interested in Silver Shadow (we'll see one in person in a couple of weeks), Hunter (but haven't gotten a price yet) and Cozy Cruiser. I'd been emailing back and forth with the folks at Cozy Cruiser, and was going down to visit, but haven't been able to contact them lately. Now their website is down, so I'm not sure what is going on. Hope all is well with them. Their trailers look beautiful.

After mocking-up the sleeping space, we've narrowed it down (or widened it up) to a 5' model. Not sure if we need a 10', and most of the 8' units are quite a bit lighter - nice when the tow vehicle is a Subaru. Any input is welcome. Rookies can always use the wisdom of the veterans, and I know enough to know I'm a rookie in this game!

Thanks for being here.

Mark
MarkR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby del » Sun May 18, 2008 9:43 pm

Welcome Mark. One the ways to get lots of info is go to a teardrop gathering, there are several on your side of the cascades, where you will meet a great group of people, and see working tears in person. And do not worry about showing up with a S.S.T. (soft sided tear aka a tent) a great time will be had.

Now the 8' verses 10', the kitchen and storage in the kitchen will be impacted. Do you like a big kitchen with lots of storage or do you want something simple with just what is needed?

I leave you with a pic of my subaru pulling the jelly belly.
del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Dean_A » Sun May 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Welcome! Portland is one of my favorite cities to visit. I used to do a lot of work with HP up there in Vancouver, so would visit often. I loved staying downtown at the Governor, and eating at Jakes.

I would highly recommend a 5' wide. Most folks, when asked what they would do differently in their next tear, say they would go wider.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:28 pm

Welcome Mark. Send me a PM if you want to see a 5' X 8' in person.

Subaru pulling my teardrop.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Mon May 19, 2008 12:25 am

Mark,

New or used?

Welcome to the fun times, you should go to the Spring Fling and see lots of teardrops

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby james tillitt » Mon May 19, 2008 7:32 am

Welcome aboard. If you are interesrted in Cozy Cruisers you might want to check this one out. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/679229259.html It's not mine but looks pretty nice. :thumbsup:
james tillitt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pgwilli » Mon May 19, 2008 8:09 am

We have a Hunter Fat Shadow - 5'x10'- that we're thinking about selling.
Its got all the options & follows our Outback nicely. We get ~ 21 mpg on trips(without the kayak :D ).

We're planning on using it for the Spring Fling in Morton this weekend. Send me a PM if your interested.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Mike C. » Mon May 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi Mark & Meg,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you know what you are looking for, now all you gotta do, is find it. As far as size goes, attending a get- together and checking out a variety of trailers might help you decide. Anyway, what ever you decide to buy, be sure and post some pictures, so we can see what you get.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:16 am

pgwilli wrote:We have a Hunter Fat Shadow - 5'x10'- that we're thinking about selling.

:o :o :o :o
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Thanks for the Warm Welcome...

Postby MarkR » Tue May 20, 2008 10:34 am

...invitations and information. Unfortunately, we have plans for this weekend, so won't be able to get to Morton, but looking forward to future gatherings.

As for new or used - not sure. You folks have provided me with a couple of leads on used trailers that I'll be following up on. Have a great time this weekend! Looks like we'll be having some good weather, too!

Cheers! - Mark
MarkR
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves