Hello To All From SW Florida

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello To All From SW Florida

Postby mikenwally » Wed May 21, 2008 7:46 pm

Long time lurker, finally decided to post.
My name is Mike. I just finished a six month cross country (20,000 miles)
trip with my Camp Inn 550. Started in Maine, wound up in California, spent most of my trip in the South West.
Last June I resigned from my job, sold my house, and hit the road. Had no real plans where I was going to go, just went.
Well reality has set in and I now have relocated to SW Florida, working ect..., Still managed to go to Long Key State Park last week....
Will post more pictures soon..
mikenwally
Teardrop Inspector

Pull up stakes

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed May 21, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi Mike,
Glad you decided to come out from lurking. You really did pull up stakes and made quite a trek cross country. Sounds like your no plans was a great adventure. Reality sets in.... :cry: but keep on camping.
Joanie
TDN :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby mikenwally » Wed May 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Teardrop Nanny
The no plan approach worked out well. When things went bad I found that it didn't matter so much.
Hit a mule deer in Big Bend TX, off the road for four weeks, lots of damage. Don't worry the deer jumped up and ran away.
Transmission went in Death Valley, so limped to Vegas and got rid of that puller. It was time for an upgrade anyway. If I had a schedule it would have been very discouraging.
mikenwally
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Wed May 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Image to the playground Mikenwally. So who is Mike and who is Wally? Glad you had such a wonderful trip. You have some great pictures in your album and I would like to encourage you to visit the Trips, pictures and Hiway tales and share. We just love the pictures and highway stories. :thumbsup:

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikenwally » Wed May 21, 2008 9:37 pm

Auntie M
Wally is my Airedale Terrier. Posted a pic of him in my album.
He didn't go on the extended trip, but does go on the 2-3 day adventures.
mikenwally
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu May 22, 2008 1:00 am

Mikenwally, welcome to the un-lurkers. Good for you, that is an adventure that stirs up happy memories. We got rid of the house, left the job and took off on the road for almost 6 years. What a free and easy way to live. I envy you for being able to do it.

I trust you still have the Camp-Inn, it is a great trailer. Naples is now your new home, and I'm sure you will be able to hook up with other Floridinians, (is that a word?) who live in your neck of the woods. Breaking down in Death Valley is not the best place for that to happen. Hope it wasn't in the middle of summer. Looking forward to seeing pics of your cross-country travels.
Roly :applause:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu May 22, 2008 8:08 am

Mike,

Welcome!

That sounded like the TearDrop dream adventure. I've been planning a trip something like that just as soon as my wife gets a job! :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikenwally » Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 am

Thank-You to all for the welcome!

Roly, yes I still have the Camp-Inn, will for a long time.
Part of my consideration in choosing a teardrop was, besides being cool, is the fact that they are a timeless design and all I need. Plus if needed I could suspend my trip and back it in a storage unit if needed. Did just that after the deer strike in Big Bend, 2 months before Death Valley problems.
It was October 07 when transmission started to fail, second time! So it wasn't too hot. Ford 4 speed overdrive AT, the weak link in there products!

Wanted to build but was involved in a major house renovation and a timeline crunch to get it listed before things tightened up even more in the market.
Had to put the tools away and travel!

Deer Damage
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=36030

New Rig

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=36032

Thinking of going to Sebastian inlet next week.....Hmmmm
mikenwally
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Thu May 22, 2008 11:30 am

Sebastian Inlet is my old stomping grounds. We lived just on the mainland side so it was a 20mile trip. Grew up fishing off the jetty, went back after they remodeled the place, it's pretty nice now. Almost too nice if you ask me. The campround is on the South side of the bridge, opposite from the jetty and tide pool. There is a rock jetty on the South side but it isn't as nice.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu May 22, 2008 8:46 pm

asianflava wrote:Sebastian Inlet is my old stomping grounds. We lived just on the mainland side so it was a 20mile trip. Grew up fishing off the jetty, went back after they remodeled the place, it's pretty nice now. Almost too nice if you ask me. The campround is on the South side of the bridge, opposite from the jetty and tide pool. There is a rock jetty on the South side but it isn't as nice.

They did fix it up really nice, great campground and access. Isn't that the shark bite capitol of the world?
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikenwally » Thu May 22, 2008 10:57 pm

mikenwally
Teardrop Inspector

Mikes excellent adventure

Postby Jim T » Fri May 23, 2008 10:28 am

Mike,
One of the best vacations I have had in 50+ years is when my wife and I took off across the west for a camping vacation for a month. Your trip must have been superb! I am beginning my first TTT, so hopefully another of these trips is in my future! Welcome to the fun!
Jim
Jim T
Teardrop Advisor

mikenwally welcome

Postby gatorbuc47 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:16 pm

Hello and welcome :D we are new to this and we look forward to your pohots from your adventure. I to am from fla. so i know you are haveing fun. just watch out for alligator ally lol :shock: they can sneak up on you. oh if you get the chance to hunt alligator the meat is good BBQ :Flippin Burger: :lol: talk to you later.
gatorbuc47
Teardrop Inspector

opps i did it again- mikenwally

Postby gatorbuc47 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:18 pm

sorry i can't spell lol not sure what po hot :thinking: is but photos we would like to see :lol:
gatorbuc47
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves