Hello from Iowa

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Iowa

Postby Jon_in_Iowa » Sat May 24, 2008 12:20 am

Just wanted to say hi. I just found your site through Google and have had a fun time readin some of the forum posts. I recently got interested in teardrop campers after seeing one a cousin of mine has and after seeing a show about them on the Travel Channel. Anyway, I have an older hard side pop up camper that the top finally rotted away on, and I was having a hard time deciding what to do with it. After seeing the show on the Travel Channel I decided that instead of fixing the top, I'm going to convert it into a tear drop. I've got my desingn figured out, just deciding on what to use to make the new roof water tight. Been thinking about gluing sheet fiberglass like you see in truck stop restrooms on the exterior plywood and sealing the seams. Will post pictures as the progress goes. I think once its done, I'm going to enjoy it a lot more than when it was a pop up. Thanks for the great site.
Jon_in_Iowa
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sat May 24, 2008 12:33 am

Welcome aboard Jon...when building, just remember to have fun with your build and do what you want. It's a great bunch of people here both to camp with and ask questions of.

Something to think about on your build...make sure that whatever materials you decide to use on the exterior, that they are UV resistant. Some of the plastics available, won't hold up to the hammering that the UV will have on them. Just ask and I'm sure you are going to get the info you need. Best way to learn is from all of our mistakes!!! :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 24, 2008 7:41 am

ImageTo the playground Jon. I built mine on a pop-up frame and it was a bit more expensive. Took more work too. We love it.

Enjoy and do please keep us in :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: Keeps the bubble oil level. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Jon_in_Iowa » Sun May 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks for the welcom and tips. I'm looking forward to working on this project. I'm kind of combining my two favorite hobbies, building things and camping.
Jon_in_Iowa
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum.... remember to take pics too! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves