Hi

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi

Postby QuietOutdoorsman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:10 pm

I've been lurking on this board for a couple months and thought I'd finally crawl out from the shadows and introduce myself. :D

I am 32, living in Soggy Central...aka, the wonderful Pacific NW! Originally from Ohio, I have been in Washington for 7 years and love it. I am an Aerospace Engineer both by formal education and occupation. Yes, I could design your TD to fly along behind as you drive. :shock: No, I'm not going to do that....just to avoid having the Highway Patrol ask the obvious question of WHY????

I do not yet have a TD, but I am slowly working on the design for one.
I do have a landscape/utility trailer:
http://www.strongboxtrailers.com/page/Model_8000HD_Utility_Trailer_a
Due to working on my house I have to keep the functionality of the utility trailer, so I'm looking at making the TD cabin as removeable. Yes, for my first build I am going to jack the complexity up by a factor of 5, but I think I can do it. To answer the obvious question of why not just get a second trailer and go simple? I barely have room to store one trailer, and definitely not two. Besides...removeable means I'm just hauling cargo on my already licensed utility trailer, right? :thinking:

It will be months before I am ready to start building. I just wanted to thank everyone for this great forum and all the information available!

Dirk
QuietOutdoorsman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:24 pm

welcome aboard Dirk, looks like you have pretty well figured out what you want your teardrop to look like. By looking at your existing trailer, it sure looks like it will be able to handle the weight alright. However, the tall sides may pose a problem for any doors on the sides. I doubt if you can make a door above the top of the sides, unless you plan to enter the tear like a Nascar driver.

You might want to alter one or both sides of the trailer by installing a removeable section so the doors can be opened unobstructed. Another solution my be to enter the trailer from the rear, which some have done. Keep on planning and perhaps you can post some sketches as to what you come up with. Try to check some of the teardrops that some of your local builders have constructed. Better yet, swing by a TD gathering and throw out ideas and get valid answers. Good luck on your build.
Roly ;)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby mandy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Welcome,

There are several builders in your area and the Jefferson State tearjerkers are in your area too look for Dean or Eunice or Del they are nice people from your area.

Have Fun and take pics that makes us happy.

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby QuietOutdoorsman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Roly,

Thanks!

The utility trailer sides are removeable with just a couple bolts holding them on. Three stake side pockets welded to the trailer frame on either side, which I plan to use when I mount the TD onto the trailer. The front and rear gates to the trailer are also removeable, but can be flipped around to be load bearing extensions to the bed of the trailer. I might use the front one to support a trailer box (for wheel chocks and stuff). The rear one probably won't be used unless I want to bring along my other toy! 1972 Suzuki TC125 trail bike! 8)

Dirk
QuietOutdoorsman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby del » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Welcome Dirk from the east, the desert of Washington (yes we get less than 10" a year). Try to make it to a gathering this summer to see tears being used, and ideas galore. If you have to show up in a SST (soft sided tear, aka a tent) that will be fine.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby satch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:50 pm

If your worried about space for a second tailer,HF sells foldable 4x8's, they only take up afew feet when folded, just a thought. btw WELCOME!! 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:34 am

Image to the playground Dirk. So your an aerospace eng. huh. :thumbsup: This will be easy for you---just ignore those impulses to add support and stuff, make a big loop on the back of the TD so you can hook a rope to it and drive out from under it. :twisted: :thumbsup: Oh and do you U TUBE. :R 8) :lol:

Just joking but we need lots of pictures so keep Aunti's bubble oil level :pictures: :pictures:

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves