Another Minnesota newbie

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Another Minnesota newbie

Postby Moonage_Daydream » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:43 pm

Hello! I also was stricken by a bolt of lightening after seeing a program on teardrops on TV. I've been spending waaaay too much time researching, contacting manufactuers, and driving my husband crazy! He's not so sure we should spend the money. It seems all we can do to keep up with friends, family, jobs, garden, and house. He's afraid we won't use it much, and wants to wait and see. I want it NOW!

I'm still hoping to convince him, and I'm still researching. Without him motivated, there is no way we will build or even finish one in the coming century. So, what do people recommend? Yes, I know that is very subjective. So far, I've liked the Camp-Inn 550 model. What features do you consider essential?

Suggestions?
Moonage_Daydream
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:56 pm

Welcome! It's nice to see another Minnesotan! In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Camp Inn! The best way to see what is essential (to you) in a teardrop is to go to a gathering. We have a little get together at Wisconsin's Black River State Forest Castle Mound Campground. It looks like peope will be there from 18 July through 21 July. Some of the owners from Camp Inn will even be there! Here is the link to the thread on the little gathering. You should join us!

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=23791
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Sounds like me ( gung ho) and my wife ( so - so ) She was not the least bit interested until I got to the tiny kitchen ( call it the galley on here or you will get laughted at). We have been on 2 organized gatherings and she has to show pics of everything at work.

Is he handy with tools . I built mine for about $850 over 6 months That's about $35.00 a week that is literally lunch money. The first one if home built will have some flaws but if you enjoy the outdoors and getting away it's worth the time to build.

I help one of the guys here at work start his and he was watertight and ready to camp and a fellow walked up and offered him $1200.00 for it as it sat . So he sold it with barely $500.00 invested. He said as I got farther and farther into the build I realized what I would do different and better next time ! " well next time is here !"

Good luck in your adventure Bob

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby MrBuzz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Welcome to the forum!!
Nice to have more Minnesota friends on-board.
(I don't live in Minnesota but if I speak slowly McGinty generally understands)
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:42 pm

MrBuzz wrote:Welcome to the forum!!
Nice to have more Minnesota friends on-board.
(I don't live in Minnesota but if I speak slowly McGinty generally understands)

Yea and when I don't want to listen to him I pretend not to understand. He doesn't know the difference! :lol:
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby MrBuzz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:40 pm

...and you are good at it!!
Hey McGinty...get off the intenet and get your trailer done!! We need to see that bad boy in July at BRF!
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby Ratfinkster » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Welcome to another Minnesotan. You cannot go wrong with a Camp-Inn, as they are the king of the teardrop industry. However, they do have a long waiting list to get one. If you would like to see them in person, They always are on display at the "Back to the 50's" car show at the state fair grounds next week-end. We will be camping in our homebuilt for the first time at the "50's" and I can hardly wait.

Dennis & Faye : vroom:
Ratfinkster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Betsey » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Ratfinkster wrote:Welcome to another Minnesotan. You cannot go wrong with a Camp-Inn, as they are the king of the teardrop industry. However, they do have a long waiting list to get one. If you would like to see them in person, They always are on display at the "Back to the 50's" car show at the state fair grounds next week-end. We will be camping in our homebuilt for the first time at the "50's" and I can hardly wait.

Dennis & Faye : vroom:

Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words! Yep, we will be at the "50's" next week in our usual spot. Stop by and show us pics of your teardrop...we would love to see it in person, but aren't allowed into the campground unless we are camping. Have been able to view a couple of other tears through the fence...one an original Modernaire and the other a homebuilt Wildgoose/Kampmaster reproduction. Cool that you will get to camp in your tear there. Do you have a street rod you will be showing?

I think the wait time for a Camp-Inn is down to about 5 months now. The move into the new building has helped with that.

If anyone else is going to "Back to the Fifties," stop by and say "Hi." We are located on Wright Street, between Cosgrove and Cooper St.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Moonage_Daydream » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

1. My husband is handy, but I would have to wait until hell freezes over for him to build a trailer, even with my help.

2. Minnesotans have an average I.Q. of 200. The colder it gets, the smarter we get.

3. I'm planning on talking to the Camp-Inn people when they are at the fairgrounds.

Happy camping!

Moonage_Daydream
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Image to the playground Moonage. Buying is probably the fastest way unless the waiting list is too long.

Do go see the Camp-ins, they are beautiful. Now I know most people can build one because I did.

What ever you decide please send us some pictures to keep the bubble oil level. :thumbsup: 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mike C. » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi Moonage,

Welcome to the forum. Well, if building is out of the question, then buying is your only other option. Maybe you could negotiate, you buy a trailer and he gets to sleep in it. :lol: How about telling him you want one for your birthday? Anniversary? Tell him it will bring you both closer together, because in a teardrop, you will definitely be closer together.
Oh well, good luck, and I hope you can figure something out.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Moonage_Daydream » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:35 am

Mike C. wrote:Hi Moonage,

Welcome to the forum. Well, if building is out of the question, then buying is your only other option. Maybe you could negotiate, you buy a trailer and he gets to sleep in it. :lol: How about telling him you want one for your birthday? Anniversary? Tell him it will bring you both closer together, because in a teardrop, you will definitely be closer together.
Oh well, good luck, and I hope you can figure something out.

See you around. :thumbsup:

Well, I have mentioned that it would be romantic and cozy....I know the way to a man's heart and stuff. :twisted:
Moonage_Daydream
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ratfinkster » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Thank you Betsy for the kind words. Had the opportunity to tour your new building last September, and was very impressed to say the least. Our plan is to get registered at the campground on thursday and then pull the little rig up to you see you people. I had previously e-mailed you guys pics, but am looking forward to visiting in person once again.

See ya at the '50's

Dennis & Faye
Ratfinkster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Betsey » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:15 pm

Dennis,

What time are you planning on heading to the fairgrounds? You will probably be there well before us. Depending on what's going on here, we leave somewhere between 1:00-2:00, so we don't get there until around 4:00-5:00.

Cary is the email "guru & keeper of the pics," so I know he has seen them. :lol:

See ya there...(and keep your fingers crossed for nice weather).

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves