New from Upstate NY

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New from Upstate NY

Postby kay » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:46 pm

Hi,
I am new to the site. I have a 63 Scotty that I have been considering restoring but would really like a teardrop. I was directed to this site by someone from the Scotty group. Looking for a teardrop if anyone knows of any available in the North East.
Kay
kay
Teardrop Inspector

Postby del » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Welcome Kay, you could always build one, we will help. You have checked the classified section of this forum right (it is all the way at the bottom of the index)? Again welcome.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi Kay and welcome to the forum. There is an aweful lot out there in the way of Teardrops. You might want to get a little more specific in what you would like, location and most of all price. If you can't find it then you certainly can build what you want. (There are some amazing builders that can assist you).
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hinermad » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:09 am

Kay,

From another upstate New Yorker, welcome! There seems to be something for everybody here, so have a look around. I'm in the (slow) process of building a teardrop, along with my fiancee LindaH who is in Canada. But if you're looking to buy one you might check eBay and www.craigslist.com. (Although if someone can tell me how to search craigslist for items outside my local area, I'd sure appreciate it.)

Dave
Behind every successful man is a woman who wants a teardrop camper.
Hinermad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LMarsh » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:10 am

Kay,

I'm in Rochester and you can get pretty much every bit of information you need from this forum to build a teardrop if you decide to. I should be finishing up my first Tear this week (I hope). I need it by June 27th for Southwick state park to show off to about 20 of my friends! I know what Hinermad Dave means by slow though, its taken me probably 10 times longer to finish than I thought. I guess it'll be about 3 months of every weekend and after work in the evenings when the weather has aloud.

My neighbor's brother came over and looked at it and I guess has been planning on trying to build one. I was sort of thinking of making a second one for another project but keeping it on the simple side and selling it. It would only be a 4x8 and could be another month or two before I finish it, if I start it soon. Just something to keep in mind but welcome to the site.

Lucas
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby Tim C » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Welcome Kay. I am a newbie too in Rochester. Have yet to start building mine.
Hinermad, went to hf yesterday. They're out of the HD trailer and the sale is over besides... I have an online ad from HF and the henrietta store said they would honor it at $349..
On the Craigslist page there are other cities & states listed. that's how you get to theirs.
Tim C
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LMarsh » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Tim, go to Tractor Supply and get a 4x8' trailer for $300 rated at 2000lbs and you don't even have to build it.

Dave, I Google "craigslist" and then type what I'm looking for. Usually stuff will pop up all over. For example "craigslist dakota 4 cyl". Hope that helps.

Lucas
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby Tim C » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:16 pm

LMarsh,

You mean the 1500lb trailer for $299?
SKU 1000215.

Thinking I have to move the axle back and don't have a welder.
the HF trailer is easy to move the axle..
Tim C
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LMarsh » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Thats the one but the catalog I have says 2000lbs. I see your point though. I bolted and welded my HF trailer but over all it was a snap to assemble and I just swapped the right and left axle mounts and that moved it back to exactly where I needed it. I can't remember the measurement but I used the trailer calcluator thing found on this web site. Its just overall I wasn't impressed with the quality of the HF trailer. Actually I should have just bought a 5x8' and made my life easier.

Lucas
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby LindaH » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:18 am

Hi Kay Tim and Lucas,

Just saying hello (from the other half of Dave/Hinermad).

Also, Lucas - your bunny "Petunia" is a real cutie-pie!

- Linda
LindaH
Teardrop Builder

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:03 pm

LMarsh wrote:Tim, go to Tractor Supply and get a 4x8' trailer for $300 rated at 2000lbs and you don't even have to build it.

Dave, I Google "craigslist" and then type what I'm looking for. Usually stuff will pop up all over. For example "craigslist dakota 4 cyl". Hope that helps.

Lucas

That same trailer they sell in a 5x8 at Northern Tool. It normally is about $329 but they have it on sale on a regular basis. It was $239 last week. I picked that one up and am building on it. I don't think the axle placement will be bad where it is.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tim C » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks Tim

The only 5X8 on Northern's website is $529. Might you have the stock number of the one you got?

Tim
Tim C
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm

Tim C wrote:Thanks Tim

The only 5X8 on Northern's website is $529. Might you have the stock number of the one you got?

Tim

Nope. This one isn't listed online. You have to go to the store to see it and get the current prices. Sorry.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tim C » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:32 pm

None in NY. :( Thanks anyhow.
Tim C
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Tim C wrote:None in NY. :( Thanks anyhow.

Sorry. I made the mistake of assuming that Northern Tools were everywhere.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves