So you think you want a tear????

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Re: So you think you want a tear????

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:24 am

I see it is your 1st post so 1st welcome aboard. The next thing it to let you know of the search button up top put in "motorcycle" and you will get 2,891returns as several of us have smaller teardrops behind our bikes.

Here is a pic of Eggbert before I lengthened the tongue.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 pm

List of Motorcycle Pulled camper/trailer Threads.

Here is a list of motorcycle Pulled camper/trailers threads I have seen on this forum. This list is not complete.

This is harleykamper's
Motorcycle tent trailer

Started Sat Feb 2013, Still in work.

This is St1100 ( Tom from Bavaria )
Stainless Steel Micro-Airstream behind motorcycle

Started Feb 2013, Still in work.

This is tahoekid’s
started my motorcycle foamie today
and this link
motorcycle foamie update

Started Nov 2012
Finished Dec 2012
This is gl1800mike's ( Mike Rand )
Motorcycle Teardrops

Started Feb 2013
Finished Mar 2013

Idaho Bedroll Teased us by showing us this great little sleeping cot style, Teardrop shapes, galley in back, expandable trailer. The last we heard the "SPUD" the designer is working with a trailer manufacturer to see if it can be made for production. Google Idaho Bedroll or Google images Idaho Bedroll for more pictures.

web link and video of it in his sight
http://idahobedroll.com/

There might be other as well I’ll try to update the list if I find more.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14222&p=185094&hilit=eggbert#p185094

Some older conversations about motorcycle trailers
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rstaab » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi,
This is my first post. I'm from Dallas. I have become intrigued by the idea of building my own teardrop, but I think I'm going to buy a used one first and get used to the whole thing. Plus, I'm short on time now, unfortunately. I also don't know much about camping other than tent camping and I would like to learn more about the electrical side of what you can do with a teardrop. I've always wanted to build something with wood and metal and all that jazz, but I haven't really done much yet.

Yall seem like a very nice and helpful bunch of people.
rstaab
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ssrjim » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:13 pm

rstaab wrote:Hi,
This is my first post. I'm from Dallas. I have become intrigued by the idea of building my own teardrop, but I think I'm going to buy a used one first and get used to the whole thing. Plus, I'm short on time now, unfortunately. I also don't know much about camping other than tent camping and I would like to learn more about the electrical side of what you can do with a teardrop. I've always wanted to build something with wood and metal and all that jazz, but I haven't really done much yet.

Yall seem like a very nice and helpful bunch of people.

If you know about tent camping then you know about Teardrop camping. It just requires a little less set up time or more depending on who you are:)
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby georgecardonajr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:14 am

I got the TEARDROP Bug!

I'm planning to build one myself!

This forum is great!

I've never been part of a forum, and I look forward in sharing my experiences with you all!

Best Regards,

George Cardona
georgecardonajr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PontiacPureBred » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Well I guess I will jump on here too as opposed to starting my own thread. First post, been lurking for a long while.

I am a lifetime camper, I have tent camped in state parks, little campgrounds, finished sites and "rustic". I have canoed across the BWCA with tent and all my gear on my back. I have also been completely spoiled by family that had a 5th wheel trailer decked out to the 9's. I have a mechanical background, I love to restore classic cars, boats (oh yea love me some boating as is evidenced by my avatar) and I am renovating a 1959 house. So I got some skills 8)

That said, never attempted anything like building my own travel trailer and honestly my wife is skurred. :shock:

I will start a thread when I am up and running with this (still lurking and planning) but I am thinking of a hybrid design, it must have at least A/C and some electrical inside (yea I am old and wimpy and that's why I want a trailer in the first place - comfort) probably classic teardrop style back hatch galley and possibly if the wife has input a port a potty. (I know sounding like a standee - but I want it small/light enough I can pull it with my 2005 GTO and leave the wife's truck free to pull the boat.)

Long winded much?

Thanks to all the inspiring builds on here, this is an AMAZING community.
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
Charles Lindbergh (1902 - 1974)
PontiacPureBred
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:20 pm

PontiacPureBred Welcome into the TnTTT world. I was also trying to build a trailer to meet the towing specs of my small cars (HHR & Cobalt, both 2.2L), rated at 1000lb. towing max. Are you going by what I just read in Edmunds, that the '05 GTO is rated for just 1000lbs also. Or are you basing your weight goal on the Aussie rating for the Monaro, which is a more realistic 1600kgs (1600kgs x2.2lbs/kg = 3520 lbs)? I read it on this site: http://m.mynrma.com.au/motoring/reviews/car-reviews/holden/monaro-vz-cv8.htm With the power of that V8, that should be an easy tow.....and to RandyG you said that your HHR had a1200lb. tow rating. My owner's manual said 1000lbs. I hope you're right, it'll certainly help!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PontiacPureBred » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:47 am

I am going for something in between. :lol:
I have no doubts the engine can handle it, but the breaks and suspension are my concern. I have upgraded to performance drilled and slotted rotors, but I'd feel better if it had big old brembos on there! Additionally I have coilover shocks on front and rear and I will need to look into what their load rating is.

Overall I am shooting for 1500lbs or so loaded as a max weight.
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
Charles Lindbergh (1902 - 1974)
PontiacPureBred
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DoctahDeane » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:02 pm

I can already tell this is a great community of people. Reminds me of the time I spent on the VW Westfalia forums rebuilding/restoring a 1989 Westy. Man, that was fun but I couldn't stand to watch what New England winters were doing to her so, here I am some years later. I really could use some advice about getting going. I am not shy about doing research, I have a very good mechanical friend/welder about 2 hours away, if needed. I have all the basic tools and I have a budget (at least to begin with LOL) of between $2K-$3K. Should I automatically go with Kuffel Plans and and basic $400-$500 trailer kit? My biggest concerns are water and electricity. I'm a gadget guy so I would love to have nice ambient lighting, efficient galley and nice trim throughout. I will not mind spending a little bit more for nice finishes and trim (there goes the budget) but my biggest concern is to be aware of my inexperience. I'd hate to sink a bunch of $ in and have it leak, for example. I guess, here, I am looking for general tips to get going, make a plan, develop a design, etc. I welcome any feedback that anyone would be willing to share. Thanks a million, folks!
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi DoctahDeane. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to build a teardrop. You're about to have a whole lot of fun and meet a lot of great people.

You are dealing with the same concerns that probably most of us had in the beginning. I didn't have a clue and questioned myself all along the way, but here I am and my teardrop works great, looks pretty nice, and doesn't leak at all. There were challenges getting to this point. The hatch was particularly challenging. If you're interested you can check out my build journal. Maybe you'll see something that will save you some money, work or anguish along the way.

I will say I did spend far more than I needed too for a number of reasons; choosing construction methods that were way more complicated than they needed to be (and overbuilding....lots of people do it), from changes (buying parts and materials ahead of time to do things one way and then changing my mind later), and from mistakes (usually as a result of one of the other two).

If there is any advice I can offer it is to keep your methods and materials as simple as you can while still accomplishing all of your objectives regarding appearance, structural integrity, and amenities.

Read a lot of build journals. Go to the hall of fame, finding teardrops that have some of the same qualities you are looking for and check out the builders site. Check out the galley gallery for lots of galley ideas. You will find everything there from simple and basic to absolutely opulent. There will be something there that seems to capture your style and they way you would like your galley to function. And then just have fun creating your perfect teardrop.

And speaking of build journals....please start one and include lots of :pictures: because we love them and the newbies that come behind you will appreciate the opportunity to learn from your journey.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks, Ragb - much appreciated. I will check the resources you mention and will definitely provide a journal once I get going. Thanks for the encouragement!
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby David Niver » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Beware, they are additive and last. Doc built ours the winter of 2004 and 2005. the kids helped him more than I did. I got to decorate, Early problems were smell of poly inside the first time out, only one koa would not let us camp in ga. he had to figure out how to get paint on the metal teardrop, he recycled part of wardrobe for inside drawers, drawers from desk for galley, later made us a icebox. we freeze 3 2ltr pepsi bottles for the top. He built a benroy style 4x8. would recommend 5x8 instead. we have 2 doors, helps me a lot. note to woman, beware. you will make friends and have fun and take lots of pictures. downside your husband will wonder around a lot. then after adding a slanted shelf above our head inside for my books, your husband will say enough. I can't make any more improvements, I have to work to be able to camp. :D :D :D 8) :worship: :roll: Marsha
David Niver
Teardrop Master

Postby bowhuntersd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:48 am

Hello all, I am a camping enthusiast or nut. I typed in "how to make a tear drop" and got so much information I couldn't stop browsing and getting ideas cause this is going to be my winter project to pass the time. I am up there in age and can't do to tent thing anymore. I have a 32' camper parked on a lot next to the Missouri river here in south Dakota but it takes me 2 hours to get there. I'm a little tired of going there and need a different view. I am a woodworker by trade and an all around do it myself kind of person. If I can't do it I'll research it until I get my answer. Words to my boss would be "instructions? I don't need no stinkin instruction" I will try to keep this updated as I want full documentation of this build, personally this is going to be exciting and challenging so I say bring on the challenge!! :?
bowhuntersd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:56 am

Have wanted a teardrop forever and finally pulled the trigger in Nov. 2013. Was just about to build a Kenskill Clone when I found a 2012 Kenskill build in Az. for what was real close in price as to what it would cost me in materials so I jumped all over it. The wife and I have a 30' 5th wheel which we enjoy but for the 2 or 3 day get away it's a lot of work, this is perfect for my quickie fly fishing trips over the hill, hook up and go!
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Agreynolds » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 am

Hi, Asha here I became interested I teardrop trailers this May. I was watching the travel channel and then I went camping with friends and at a site near by there was a convention going on. From that point on I've been addicted. I am still researching; however, I have a whole year or so to start this project. Im a college studnet so in the mean time I'll saving. I'll be asking plenty of newbie questions. My wood working stills are rudimentary. The design im going for is a more 1950 vintage (classic) design on a 5 foot trailer. I need the 5 ft frame because both my bother and boy friend are tall men. Anyway im very excited and will appreciate any help a long the way.

Thanks

Asha
Agreynolds
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves