Crazy Canuck...

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Crazy Canuck...

Postby grr8 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Yup - that's me. I have a 5X9 teardrop planned. I actually learned how to weld to do this. So the frame was done in the early winter. Pretty proud so far. And I am about to order the wood.
Call me crazy - because maybe I am.
But I am about to get underway again now that winter is over (yes it's been over for a while - slow start - not a good sign;-)
I can build with wood pretty well - I used to build houses - rough carpentry when I was a kid. But the steel work was interesting.
I built it out of 1/8 wall thickness 2X3 tubing. It has to be prepped now to prime and paint - this is where I am getting lost. I had no idea about all the complications with steel scale that has to come off.
The other issues are with making 16inch round portal style windows. I cannot source them from anywhere. And I am in Canada so it can be tough during these times.
Any tips are appreciated - thanks - I have browsed many other projects - very informative community!!

Cheers,
Glen
grr8
Teardrop Builder

Re: Crazy Canuck...

Postby OP827 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:15 pm

Hi Glen,

Welcome to the builders' site! You are definitely not alone, I've also built my first trailer with a lot of help from here. 16" round windows may be difficult to find in Canada. Did you consider making Wiley windows like in this build ?

I like how the Wiley design was simplified here.
My front side windows made like that and such design seems to work too.

Cheers,
Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Postby grr8 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:51 am

Hi Oleg,

Beautiful job on your trailer!!! Seriously amazing!!
I am also considering painting with gel coat (I think thats the term). Its super expensive though. But goes on with a roller?
I can attempt to match my car colour - which I love. Its a perfect blue colour. Kind of medium sky blue - not too light and not too dark.
There are so many hesitations at this point. I am held back by insulation ideas - which impact the framework, window thickness etc...
I am also considering making the windows. Water damage is such a worry. I worry about everything. ;-(
I could have a pivot post at 9 and 3 o'clock to open and close the window. But then I'd need a bugscreen. Not only do they take your blood but they suck the fun right out of it as well!
Thanks for the welcome Oleg!!
I'm chatty once you get me going. haha

Glen
grr8
Teardrop Builder

Postby twisted lines » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:15 am

Are you removing all scale or only where welding?
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grr8 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:57 am

twisted lines wrote:Are you removing all scale or only where welding?

All the mill scale needs to come off because I have learned it is a barrier in itself which will peel away any top coatings.
And aside from dipping in a large reservoir there doesn't seem to be a good solution.
What is your experience?

THanks,
Glen
grr8
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 am

I am also considering painting with gel coat (I think thats the term).

I think gel coat (thickened polyester resin with a thickener) is sprayed in a mold before laying or spaying fiberglass --and the subsequent layers chemically bond to it. I have not heard of its use as paint over metal?

I find using an oil-based paint such as Rustoleum applied with a roller works fine for the chassis.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:31 am

I thought you meant gel coat cabin but if Tony's reading is correct, I think gel coat for steel frame is not a great choice.

I do find roller applied gelcoat for recoating. Ot sure what substrates or prep is required. Please share, as I'm not sure on full glass or just paint on sealed ply.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby grr8 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:36 am

tony.latham wrote:
I am also considering painting with gel coat (I think thats the term).

I think gel coat (thickened polyester resin with a thickener) is sprayed in a mold before laying or spaying fiberglass --and the subsequent layers chemically bond to it. I have not heard of its use as paint over metal?

I find using an oil-based paint such as Rustoleum applied with a roller works fine for the chassis.

:thinking:

Tony

Ahh, I was referring to Oleg's camper - he did a beautiful white paint job with gel paint.
It wasn't about the frame.

The steel frame is outside of my experience - and the more I read the more confused I get.
It seems that not many people really seem to know about mill scale. But those that do are really cautious about it.
The welding forums talk about this as something that is part of the steel milling process - and it is a pain to remove.
I'm gathering info right now - not too sure about all this.
How long has your frame endured?

But perhaps I am also confused about whether I have hot rolled or cold rolled steel??
Apparently hot rolled steel has this milling to the surface and cold rolled doesn't.
See, I am a newbie... perfect term!

Thanks,
Glen
grr8
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:00 am

How long has your frame endured?

The one I built in 2013 is as it was then. I hit mine with a flapper disc and then 80 grit sandpaper on a random orbital (but not for long) before priming. I don't think scale is a big deal. The only place I see it is on my welds and it gets chipped or ground off.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:00 pm

grr8 wrote:

All the mill scale needs to come off because I have learned it is a barrier in itself which will peel away any top coatings.
And aside from dipping in a large reservoir there doesn't seem to be a good solution.
What is your experience?

THanks,
Glen

Journeyman; Certified all position up to 1" but not below 1/8" :oops:
Polished food grade stainless plumbing, Metal art work

(Leave It.)

Way south of you there is a toilet cleaner that sprays on very diluted in a pump sprayer (Destroys it). Pressure washes it off for larger areas.
I have a tank that's too large :lol:
If you heard that from your boss :frightened:
Either way it may be true if you'r welding; but very unhealthy in so many way's

I am Patching mine today after beating it around in the shop for 3 years. :NC
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grr8 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:12 pm

twisted lines wrote:
grr8 wrote:

What is your experience?

THanks,
Glen

Journeyman; Certified all position up to 1" but not below 1/8" :oops:
Polished food grade stainless plumbing, Metal art work

(Leave It.)

Way south of you there is a toilet cleaner that sprays on very diluted in a pump sprayer (Destroys it). Pressure washes it off for larger areas.
I have a tank that's too large :lol:
If you heard that from your boss :frightened:
Either way it may be true if you'r welding; but very unhealthy in so many way's

I am Patching mine today after beating it around in the shop for 3 years. :NC

Sorry - are you saying I should spray a thinner or vinegar etc (or is there a product u recommend?)
Or just take the easy road and just leave it.
I could also get it sandblasted right? Is this all overkill?
I am going to spend an enormous amount of energy to make this a fine teardrop so I want to be sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot so to speak.
I am sure I have hot rolled steel. I grinded really well wherever the welds are done. But the rest of the steel, if I had known in time, I should have dipped in a batch of vinegar and scrubbed it afterward. Now that the frame is built it's just too damn big to dip. I could also get it sprayed with a thinner in a shop.
Please enlighten me.
And what is unhealthy? The chemicals?
Tell me about this pump spray technique.
Thanks for all your comments guys. I really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Glen
grr8
Teardrop Builder

Postby twisted lines » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:36 pm

I was also a Certified Hasmat Technician.

What's Not unheathy about it sanding grinding Safety Equipment your most likely not using / Chemicals

Mine Is actually Stuck on, so I have more surface area covered then welding;
Hasn't been out of the shop yet either :thinking:

If Your Powder coating It they will blast it for you;
Otherwise NA its stuck good, It cracks if you bend the metal so clean that up.
I will be painting this afternoon.
One for my Last COO
Its true I always get runs so I don't paint.
But here it goes from steel - aluminum - wood under one coat should have sprayed it too.
I am rolling it again, my paint will break before that S--- comes off.
And that bag came out of the last wash that didn't get tossed :lol:
With runs

TL
Attachments
Bag of rag's.jpg
Bag of rag's.jpg (71.52 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:00 pm

grr8 wrote:Tell me about this pump spray technique.
Cheers,
Glen

PM sent
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi Glen,

Thanks! I did not use polyester gelcoat at all for my trailer finish. I used micro balloons epoxy mix and polyester body fillers for fairing, then sprayed a high build polyurethane primer with 1.8mm nozzle air gun, then finished with 2 stage system - color and clear coat using 1.3mm nozzle air gun. If I ever do such automotive painting again, I would find/make some enclosed shop space that is more suitable for such work, like a panting booth with good ventilation and lighting.

Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves