Finally get to build my teardrop

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Finally get to build my teardrop

Postby boulderv7 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:29 pm

My wife and I are from West Michigan and we, finally, after years of dragging our feet, have decided to move from the tent/hammocks to a camper. We love to be outside and camp and want something small and cozy with a nice mattress. We love to cook in the outdoors, so a teardrop feels like a perfect fit.

I'm pretty handy and very creative, although my usual medium is textiles: hammocks, backpacks, tents, etc...

I love planning and executing projects. A teardrop is something I've always wanted to build and will be the largest project I've attempted.

I've been lurking and planning and I am getting ready to start buying materials. I am looking forward to sharing my progress and learning a lot from the experience members here.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
boulderv7
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Finally get to build my teardrop

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:35 pm

And helloo from Idahoo.

You two sound like the perfect teardrop candidates.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:33 pm

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I hope you incorporate elements of your textile background into your build. I'm a car guy so an Alcantara "headliner" made it into mine.Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby boulderv7 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:00 pm

friz wrote:Looking forward to seeing your progress. I hope you incorporate elements of your textile background into your build. I'm a car guy so an Alcantara "headliner" made it into mine.Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That looks awesome. I'm sure my wife will definitely having me make some custom curtains.

Now you got me thinking about a padded headboard though....

boulderv7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DrewsBrews » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:14 pm

Welcome!

Since you mention you like working with textile.. Have you checked out the tent trailer/explorer box idea? Could be up your alley if you still like tents (except the arduous setup and sleeping on lumpy wet ground). Overall they tend to be smaller, lighter and probably much quicker/easier to build than your standard tear... Not that I want to dissuade you, just extra options/ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AlFvvaXA4

Since others are showing photos.. I decided to DIY my frame. Prepping for paint currently. Won't be a standard tear. More "squaredrop"
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby boulderv7 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:54 pm

DrewsBrews wrote:Welcome!

Since you mention you like working with textile.. Have you checked out the tent trailer/explorer box idea? Could be up your alley if you still like tents (except the arduous setup and sleeping on lumpy wet ground). Overall they tend to be smaller, lighter and probably much quicker/easier to build than your standard tear... Not that I want to dissuade you, just extra options/ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AlFvvaXA4

Since others are showing photos.. I decided to DIY my frame. Prepping for paint currently. Won't be a standard tear. More "squaredrop"
Your frame looks great!

Yeah I've seen those tent trailers before, but I've always wanted a teardrop and the minimal setup is pretty hard to beat. I'm sure I'll make some custom awnings, I already have some ideas....

boulderv7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BLTillson » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:03 pm

Fantastic, My all your measurements be right the first time!
~BLT~

Δοξάστε τον Θεό από τον οποίο πηγάζουν όλες οι ευλογίεςt
BLTillson
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves