Newfoundland rebuild

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newfoundland rebuild

Postby Covebrian » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi all, I've been wanting to build or buy a teardrop for years, especially since moving here to Newfoundland from British Columbia. There's no flat ground here, and it rains or is cold a lot! Hopefully the teardrop will extend my camping season too. Car camping seems more appealing the older I get too...

I bought an ugly little trailer the other day (can't get pics to upload, doesn't matter though), realized its foundation was totally rotted out and tore it down to the deck. It seemed to have been built maybe 10 or so years ago and was built way too heavy for my Subaru Crosstrek: 1/2 in ply all around. 1/4 pine t&g inside...I could hardly lift the kitchen hatch by myself, and I'm not a small guy! Kinda knew when I bought it, it was just for the trailer steel, which is also surface rusted so I'll get that all cleaned up too. Its 4.5 wide or so on the deck, and 10 long. We're 6' and 6'4" so the longer the better!

So down to the deck and starting from scratch. I've built a couple plywood boats that still float, but I'm not much of a details man, as in it don't look to close or you'll see my messy lack of craftmanship. I know a few good cabinet makers though so hopefully they'll stop by to help. No plans yet, plan on buying Tony Latham's book to get me started. Also plan to build as light sturdy and cheap as possible, hopefully I can do it for around $1000. Looking forward to bugging you all with my questions (after I search the forum!) Anyone have any CAD plans they're willing to share to have a CNC machine do the panel and frame cutting?
Covebrian
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newfoundland rebuild

Postby jgizzi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:43 am

There is a Facebook group, DIY Teardrop Campers Community, and Tony Latham hangs out there. He has posted his CNC files for his build and is always helping folks with their questions. I highly recommend the group and Tony's book! We built a different shape than he does in the book but the techniques are the same. It is a great resource.

We really want to get back to Newfoundland!! Spent 10 days there on our honeymoon and had a fantastic time!! Folks thought we were crazy for honeymooning there but it was perfect.

Jim
Jim Gizzi
Ferndale, WA
Way up in the upper left corner ;-)
jgizzi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Covebrian » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:47 am

Thanks Jim! I asked to join the group. I spent a couple nights in Ferndale years ago when I lived on Vancouver Island. Newfoundland is either great or it’s miserable, you lucked out!
Covebrian
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:33 am

The profile was my biggest hurdle also very early on I had this discussion let me see if I can find it......

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13925&p=180832#p180832

Good God that was a decade ago ???? I wonder if Andrew is still with us ????
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:00 pm

One thing you will need to add brakes. Ours is all Aluminum frame and the walls a very thin inner and outer walls.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby tomhawk » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:21 pm

We recently finished building a "foamy" trailer and actually went camping for a weekend. I was somewhat terrified to take it out on the freeway. We hit 70 mph at one point. I held up fine, no worse for wear!
The inside dimensions are 56" X 78" so it is plenty roomy for me (6' 3"). Of interest to you is the weight that is a bit over 500 lb. I would think it should be quite easily towed by a Subaru.
The insulation from the 2" foam I used would be a plus in a colder climate. It got into the upper 30s F that weekend and we were quite cozy.

Now that we have a trailer I have been looking around for places to go. For some reason, Newfoundland caught my imagination. I am gathering that rural eastern Canada has loads of opportunities for camping? A web site inferred that if land is not posted as private property, you can pull off the road and camp in Newfoundland. One problem of course is the ferry ride to get there but I think that sounds like it would be enjoyable too.

I would appreciate any insight into travel and camping opportunities.

Thanks,

Tom
Evolution is driven by mistakes, not plans.

My build: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=75248
tomhawk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:01 pm

Helllooo...

Anyone have any CAD plans they're willing to share to have a CNC machine do the panel and frame cutting?

Here ya go...

https://www.tonylatham.net/teardrop-cnc-files.html

Let me know if you use them or have questions.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves