Stirring up Sawdust in North TX

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Stirring up Sawdust in North TX

Postby Birdie_NTX » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:31 pm

Howdy fellow builders. I'm FINALLY starting on my big ol teardrop. I started this plan 3 years ago when I purchased plans from a much more knowledgeable and experienced builder from the west coast - like totally green me vs a guy with a complete build, construction and electrical knowledge, and cad skills. So I felt like I was ready to roll with these amazing plans mapped out for me. And then... I wanted to tweak a few things. ...and I started looking at pinterest. ...and started reading forums. Oh my there are so many great ideas and different designs. You all have already steered me new ways and given me many things to think about. I've only scratched the surface of knowledge in these threads. So thank you to the contributors. I'm staying up late reading and browsing and researching here lately. I'm tired but inspired! ;)

So why am I starting this three years later? Well, I bought a home in 2018 that needed a few updates. That turned into some full on remodel projects and unexpected repairs. The last thing I wanted to do was jump into the camper build at the same time. I sold the house in January. And suddenly I have spare time and money without the old house draining me. So here we go! Camper time.

My teardrop will be 5' wide x 10' long x 5' cabin height. It's on a custom welded frame that I've towed around for three addresses now. :roll: It will have a typical galley, a narrow closet in front that I'm adding to the design with an exterior door for bike storage (important for me as this camper will be used for cycling weekend getaways), wired for shore power or battery (which I'm most uncomfortable with in this whole process and will likely hire someone to handle the electric), and an aluminum skin. Since I'm not broke anymore (oh that old house!), I've decided to splurge a bit more than expected on this build and might even do a fun wrap on the exterior when it's done. It will be a while though. I am learning as I go and I work full time. Besides, this is North Texas (Ft Worth area) and I decided to start this project in the summer. Sheesh it's hot in the garage! I'm currently working on the subfloor. I'm fortunate to have some awesome lumber companies nearby, including Plywood Co of Ft Worth which carries 5x10 sheets of 3/4" fir which will be the sidewalls. The interior face of the sidewalls will be 1/4" baltic birch which I've glued/brad nailed to the fir.

I have the tools, in fact more power tools and saws than most of my guy friends, but I lack brawn, being a gal with a desk job. So I've recruited a few friends to be available as helpers. They're pretty excited about it too. Note: I grew up with a dad who is a fixer, a do-it-yourselfer, and a builder of anything he could dream up. All of those times my dad asked his little girl to "help him" in his shop - knowing now he only wanted the company and the chance to teach - must have gotten me acquainted enough to take on little projects myself one day. :D

So we're off to a good start. I'll learn how to share photos and progress here eventually. I look forward to learning many more things from you all and sharing a little of my journey as well. It's nice to meet you all!
- Rhonda
Birdie_NTX
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Stirring up Sawdust in North TX

Postby pchast » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:27 pm

Welcome. I'm interested to see what you build. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:58 am

Welcome! I'm curious about your bike storage closet. Will you access it from the side or the front?
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Birdie_NTX » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:25 pm

Thanks for the welcomes.

The closet will be side access with a 15"w x 36"h door on the forward most end of driver side. (Cabin door further back on passenger side.) The closet will take up the front 19" of the camper. It's for a narrow road bike that will fit with a couple of inches beyond the widest point with the handlebar turned sideways with front wheel off. The top of the closet will be an interior shelf across the width of the camper.
This is the interior driver side wall with blue outline of closet door. The blue line toward back here sections off the galley.
20210713_220020_copy_1008x567.jpg
20210713_220020_copy_1008x567.jpg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Birdie_NTX
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves