Pop em up MultiPurposeRoom, do want.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Pop em up MultiPurposeRoom, do want.

Postby popper » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:38 pm

Hey all, another intro. Been thinking about making a pop up or pivot up multipurpose room for a while now. Or maybe 2 or 3 of them. Specific scenario is low towing capacity vehicle, free low overhang storage available, existing trailer frames, and free old ply. Inspirations for wanting to give this project a shot are "chestercamp" "embracethechaostour" and "ryan prins" on the yutoubes.

Thinking I want these features- removable slide off, mudroom rear deck with rear door, aerodynamic front galley, translucent ceiling maybe. Keep changing my mind on the design as I see other's work. Also changing mind with that free ply versus shelling out for foam to save weight. Any how those features are wants. I might start off with a featureless PMF 8x4x4' 5 sided foam box with ply floor and an open rear, to see if I can even do any of this. Then move on to a more advanced one if that works out. Looking forward to doing some snooping here on this forum.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

transluscent ceiling PMF MPR possible?

Postby popper » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:36 pm

Have you guys seen FedEx or UPS delivery truck ceilings? They do an excellent job of letting natural sunlight in. Wondering if you did Swiss cheese plywood ceiling panels with white bed sheet titebond3 PMF and no paint how much sun will shine through. You could do a hundred small holes drilled with a hole saw or might be easier to cut out a couple of large center holes with clear plastic panels laid in. Should I be looking for a UV blocking clear exterior paint? Does standard glue even dry to a translucent finish or do I need to find a special one? Or just use extra coats of glue in place top paint layer.. Any experience or even educated speculation appreciated.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Pop em up MultiPurposeRoom, do want.

Postby DrewsBrews » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:09 pm

It is often still recommended to seal the wood underneath so I don't think pmf is technically waterproof by itself. It also isnt a self supporting structure like layered fiberglass can be if built up.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Re: transluscent ceiling PMF MPR possible?

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:32 pm

popper wrote:Have you guys seen FedEx or UPS delivery truck ceilings? They do an excellent job of letting natural sunlight in. Wondering if you did Swiss cheese plywood ceiling panels with white bed sheet titebond3 PMF and no paint how much sun will shine through. You could do a hundred small holes drilled with a hole saw or might be easier to cut out a couple of large center holes with clear plastic panels laid in. Should I be looking for a UV blocking clear exterior paint? Does standard glue even dry to a translucent finish or do I need to find a special one? Or just use extra coats of glue in place top paint layer.. Any experience or even educated speculation appreciated.

Most of the glue types people use aren't "water proof" . Have you seen this? https://www.npr.org/2011/12/28/14438528 ... n-a-bottle.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby popper » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:01 pm

I have seen that article before. Makes me wonder how the holes get sealed up from the rain, but the story does make the point of 'why not use the sun for daytime interior lighting' if you can. Its a zero watts draw, and hopefully the sun won't burn out before the trailer's useful lifespan is over. :FNP

Titebond *3* is supposedly totally waterproof. At least the maker claims it is.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:44 pm

popper wrote:I have seen that article before. Makes me wonder how the holes get sealed up from the rain, but the story does make the point of 'why not use the sun for daytime interior lighting' if you can. Its a zero watts draw, and hopefully the sun won't burn out before the trailer's useful lifespan is over. :FNP

Titebond *3* is supposedly totally waterproof. At least the maker claims it is.

The article mentions "sealing" around the bracket.
I'm not sure what the plan is for a pop up multipurpose room, but in my TD, I'm outside in the daylight. A way to let daylight in won't do much for me.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby popper » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:33 pm

Rent is crazy here and it would be nice to just have an extra affordable private chill out room. Even at 7' high 6x8' and in a parking lot, it would be nice to have. And building codes are restrictive for anything not on wheels. The fact that you can take it overnighting to camp spots is bonus gravy. Or use as an "enclosed cargo trailer" works with an open rear ramp door designed in.

The Swiss cheese ceiling plan's lack of insulation worried me at first, but then I realized like your link with the plastic bottle, there are plenty of clear objects which insulate. Plastic bubble wrap or plastic bottles or whatever you can stick in the holes. I think I have already over thought this, I am going to give it a shot.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:19 pm

:thinking: If you want to see the stars and let some light in, I'd go for an automobile's sun roof. ...Less to fix than holes, if something goes wrong.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby popper » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:53 pm

Would not be any holes at all in the fabric, just in the wood or foam layer. You would taking advantage of the fact that bedsheets and glue (or resin and fiberglass) allow some sunlight through.. I'm thinking find some thin clear plastic and sand it rough, then bond it into the roof to keep the fabric flat.

BTW love that pivoting roof..
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am

popper wrote:Would not be any holes at all in the fabric, just in the wood or foam layer. You would taking advantage of the fact that bedsheets and glue (or resin and fiberglass) allow some sunlight through.. I'm thinking find some thin clear plastic and sand it rough, then bond it into the roof to keep the fabric flat.

BTW love that pivoting roof..

Here is the math as I see it.
Option 1) perform an experiment on the roof that will take days or weeks to undo if it works. Even if it works it may not provide the light that you want, and over time could start leaking, especially if continuously exposed to the elements
Option 2) pick up some battery powered puck lights and stick them to the ceiling.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:08 pm

We get enough light durring the day through our side windows. As for light at night or star gazing a large homemade vent would work a treat. Just open it.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby popper » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:12 pm

DrewsBrews wrote:It is often still recommended to seal the wood underneath so I don't think pmf is technically waterproof by itself. It also isnt a self supporting structure like layered fiberglass can be if built up.

You bring up a good point about the non-self supporting nature of the top layer. Sounds like a thin plastic wouldn't be enough. I need to dig around and see what I could try that is more substantial. I don't mind trying new things and failing and try trying again.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:39 pm

:thinking: Would door peep-hole hardware do what you are trying to do? Those could be sealed in so they didn't leak.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby popper » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:44 am

I had in mind 75+ mm holes drilled evenly though out strong ply. I figured I'd try to find some discarded rigid clear plastic containers with a flat bottom that is compatible with a readily available hole saw size. Then hit it with some 60 grit and glue it in (to securely secure it to the ply, not for sealing). Then do the white sheet and glue thing over top. Theoretically you would have an uninterrupted roof of PMF with no seals to maintain that allows sun through. But will it even work... Still not sure on UV resistance or water resistance of PMF without paint. Would sun even pass through a layer of white exterior acrylic? I know there are automotive clear paints, but for houses? If I found one, would a clear paint even bond to PMF?

I have not yet bought supplies. Yes I am a complete newb at all of this. Just an idea..

Here is a link where a cutout in ply held up to 24 hours of exposure to water. I could not find much else about PMF over cutouts in ply. Personally I would never do a cut out without support behind it, but this shows that it can hold up to water even with nothing backing.

https://youtu.be/jZZK7geF01I?t=77

I rough measured the widest of my frames. Its 6.5' wide and 14 feet total length. The square portion is only 7.5' long. Very large triangle section, its almost half the length of the whole thing. But I am still thinking just doing a featuresless 4x8 plywood PMF slide on for my first build just to keep it simple. Just plop it right in the center. Maybe do some camping while I think about a larger better one.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby popper » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:55 pm

I have been looking at every disposable plastic container I can get my eyeballs and hands on for the past week. I can say confidently now that it will be no problem getting rigid freebie clear plastic pieces. Have you guys bought potato salad from the supermarket deli lately? There are some seriously beefy plastic containers out there... I also found some trashed flourescent square ceiling clear diffusion panel things from an office that upgraded their lighting to LED. I guess I could cut circles out of that clear plastic too if the food container thing doesn't pan out.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves