Foamie trailer camper wantabe

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Foamie trailer camper wantabe

Postby coco-serrano » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:49 pm

Hello to all you amazing innovative people!

I've been wanting a camper trailer for many years, and spent much time looking at them online, going to places where there are rentals and used popups for sale. The key reason we have never purchased one is we drive Toyota Sienna's. The old one is 2005 and has the towing package, so can tow more, but we don't trust it too far from home. The new one is 2011, can pull 2500 total weight.

When I came across your forum it was like a dream. We own all of the tools, I craft in paper, which is very similar to wood, IE, must be accurate, so have the skills. My husband is and engineer, so can handle the electrical part. We are ready to build.

But what kind! Oh the planning is so exciting! The three aspects I really do care about, but you could convince me otherwise, are light, height and Air conditioning. You see we live in Katy, TX where we run the A/C 9 months of the year. I can't even imagine sleeping at the state parks without A/C.

My husband is 5 ft 11 so I needs to be 6 ft 6 high. I've already constructed the floor with 6 ft 6 in wide by 10 foot, but there is a cantilever for 1 ft so the actual floor is 9 feet.

And my van, again, can only tow 2500 lbs.

The plans for the canned ham with dropped floor is basically what I'm building, but instead of using all the wood, I'm going to foamie! At least I plan to.

Anyway, that's my intro! I need to find my pic of the floor framing, which you have all seen, since it's on an Ironton 4 x 8 trailer! That's a long story, but I finally found one, and was happy to pay full price (always the bargan hunter)

Since I have some questions about Foamie's I think I will put a topic over there with those questions. See ya'll then!

Bobbie in Katy, TX
coco-serrano
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Foamie trailer camper wantabe

Postby popper » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Hello!

Sounds like your tow situation is similar to this fellow wanttuhbee right here. Also when I found out about this diy tiny trailer thing it was like a dream.. I know what you mean. Lightweight insulated walls, and relatively easy and affordable to build. Sounds like you have good width to work with at 6.5 foot, a lot of the guys with narrow rigs later regret not going wider.

Like you I am wanting 6-8 foot height, so thinking about trying a pop up. The popper downside is loss of the K.I.S.S. quality of a solid build, for sealing out temperature and bugs. The advantage is the storability, and fuel dollar savings. For me I think the benefits are outweighing the downsides of a pop up.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Foamie trailer camper wantabe

Postby coco-serrano » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Of course, time ran off with all the plans I've been dreaming of. But I've constructed the floor and will have to send some pictures. The concern we have now is we can't store the foamie in the garage with it on the trailer, would have to take it off and put it on while on the driveway. Funny, I never measured the garage door opening, but it's only 6 foot 7 inches. Weird! Also VERY OLD AND HEAVY. Probably needs replaced.

I'm headed over to the foamie board.

See ya'll there!

Bobbie
coco-serrano
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves