Noob

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Noob

Postby mnswamp » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:05 pm

Hello from Minnesota and thanks in advance for all the knowledge/wisdom I've already gleaned from this forum!

By way of introduction, I'm a lifelong outdoors enthusiast but my back and the ground don't get along too well any more. On a whim, we bought an older class A, and my wife quickly decided that it was too - [big, slow, loud, stinky, etc] and that she wants to see the country at a little faster clip than 55 - at least on the freeway. So we've agreed to put it back on the market and get a teardrop. (Anybody want a 1987 Coachmen 30´?)
I am planning a 5x10 footprint on a welded frame, sandwich sides and an undetermined skin. I am part of a makerspace, so have access to MIG, CNC, and a bunch of other fun tools that will help make the build much easier. Gaining a lot of insight from Tony Lantham's book, Oregon Batman, and lots of threads on here. I'm in the process of sketching my ideas into CAD, and will doubtless be asking lots of questions as I move forward. I've not built a trailer, but have built several boats over the years, the latest of which is in my blog.

At the end of the day, I hope to have a TD worthy of this forum!

Until then,

marsh
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

I found my new calling - ¨Organizational chaos monkey¨
mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Noob

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:42 pm

Helloo from Idahoo!

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:08 pm

Welcome. :D

The biggest pitfall is keeping a rein on your want list.
I purchased some things still in the box. (unused)
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby popper » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:50 am

Maker space sounds great.. I'd lowball you on that class A but it'd cost a million dollars in fuel to drive down here. Fuel costs, another great reason for a mini ammIright!
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mnswamp » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:20 pm

Might not require too much of a lowball :lol:

The makerspace is great. I hit it at the right time and was able to use an unused room to build a safety/coach launch for the canoe/kayak racing club I coach in it. Having a place to build, and the right tools available made it possible.
Here's the build blog for the launch. https://skootacoachlaunch.blogspot.com/
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

I found my new calling - ¨Organizational chaos monkey¨
mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby popper » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:56 pm

2021 RV market is a strong sellers market here. I think because people are going stir crazy cramped up. Also rent is insane. Not just the RV market either, all used vehicles are going for record high prices. Probably the same everywhere. I am sure that A will sell in no time.

Niiice boat btw.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby timhill28 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:41 am

Welcome aboard, Marsh! Enjoy the forums
timhill28
Teardrop Builder

Postby rjgimp » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:16 am

Welcome to the nuthouse! Where are you in MN? I'm in the 'cleavage' of Mpls and St Paul right by the MN Fairgrounds. Just about to start on a foam standy build on a popup frame.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves