OR, USA - Another still-just-planning-phase newbie :)

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

OR, USA - Another still-just-planning-phase newbie :)

Postby Fractangle » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:13 pm

*awkwardly steps up to the mic*

Hi, folks! I... haven't actually done anything other than lurk and plan for a while. Hopefully that doesn't make me sound like a supervillain in the making.

Anyway, I'm thinking of pursuing a small hybrid wood/foamie build with the intent of travelling in it full-time for a while. They say everything is a time/money tradeoff, and where I'm at in life right now, I uh, have a lot of time. I'm also pretty unafraid of DIY, have dabbled in woodworking for a few years, and love the idea of trying to use as many salvaged/non-first-use materials as I can in this. No sense letting stuff end up in a landfill if it doesn't need to, right?

My current plan is something like this: wood-framed box in the middle that houses the door frames, and is sturdy enough to stand on the roof of. Foamie front, but with the curve going from left to right like a horse trailer (but not as tall). This is because I'd like to put a clear lexan dome on the roof very close to the front so I can see the sky when I'm laying in bed, and also stick my head up into for a 360 degree view of the outside. Probably a foamie rear and hatch, but I still have much to learn about designing hatches for waterproofness. With any luck, it'll be towable behind my little VW beetle. I know I've seen others on here who pull teardrops with a beetle, so that gives me hope!
Fractangle
Teardrop Inspector

Re: OR, USA - Another still-just-planning-phase newbie :)

Postby DrewsBrews » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:09 pm

Welcome!

One idea for a free stove.. There are often old grills set out on curbs for trash. If you can find one with a side burner for pots those often have never even been used. They typically also have a built in flip up cover and seem to be easily be adapted into a counter.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Re: OR, USA - Another still-just-planning-phase newbie :)

Postby popper » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:17 pm

That is an excellent idea.. about the side burner from the trash.

The whole hybrid wood-foam thing is an interesting idea too! Ply strength only were it needs it, and less overall weight for the tow vehicle.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves