Intro, and a question

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Intro, and a question

Postby mnjeepguy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:41 pm

Hi, I am Dave. I decided I am sick of setting up my "glamping" setup at dusk in swarms of bugs, and am not interested in sleeping on the ground anymore. I'm looking at building an offroad squaredrop and the more I look, the more I think frame up is the way for me. Been all over the board for a while, I have looked enough I think this will be the best for me. I have to do some drawings to decide size, but I am thinking I will do 5X9 or so. Been researching, but it looks most likely I will use some glass over the outside ply and then a bedliner coating over that. Aluminum is possible...but less likely with my use case.

As I envision the build, I was thinking I would cut the walls together so they are perfect. That got me thinking. Why would I not build two identical units at the same time and sell one? The market seems red hot. The work may be double, but if it seems easier than doing two consecutively. Thoughts? It wouldn't be for a huge profit, or a business...more thinking I know friends will be interested and I could charge them materials and minor labor. Plus...if one is less perfect on the finish or something, I can keep the one I like better.
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Intro, and a question

Postby popper » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:07 pm

I like your thinking. It is red hot.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TimC » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:48 pm

mnjeepguy wrote:...
As I envision the build, I was thinking I would cut the walls together so they are perfect. That got me thinking. Why would I not build two identical units at the same time and sell one? The market seems red hot. The work may be double, but if it seems easier than doing two consecutively. Thoughts? ...

I think that is a good approach. I like the approach of building four walls, four doors, two floors, two headboards and two footboards and two sets of galley cabinets/counters. It'll improve efficiency a bit, maybe a bunch. It will also save time on research, gathering materials, saving shipping on components, etc.

I've been told many times I should build teardrops and sell them. That is flattering but I know that my teardrops will not satisfy the average enthusiast. So build to sell is never going to happen for me. After building three I know how much labor is involved. And no-one would appreciate (pay for) that labor as much as I would like.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:51 pm

Welcome!

The first is quite the undertaking and mistakes will be made. Not the end of the world usually, but you can take what you learn and make the next one perfect and sell the first. 8)
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby saywhatthat » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:35 pm

seem a lot think i am going to get rich building tears. Build a small box first . They seam to start at around $10 k then 65 soon $2500 are best offer. so might I suggest you do a small box before you get a lot of money invested and maybe get over your head .Saying that I don't know what type of tools you have or experience you have
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Postby mnjeepguy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:15 pm

popper wrote:I like your thinking. It is red hot.

Maybe I am not crazy! Or, we both are ;)

TimC wrote:
mnjeepguy wrote:...
As I envision the build, I was thinking I would cut the walls together so they are perfect. That got me thinking. Why would I not build two identical units at the same time and sell one? The market seems red hot. The work may be double, but if it seems easier than doing two consecutively. Thoughts? ...

I think that is a good approach. I like the approach of building four walls, four doors, two floors, two headboards and two footboards and two sets of galley cabinets/counters. It'll improve efficiency a bit, maybe a bunch. It will also save time on research, gathering materials, saving shipping on components, etc.

I've been told many times I should build teardrops and sell them. That is flattering but I know that my teardrops will not satisfy the average enthusiast. So build to sell is never going to happen for me. After building three I know how much labor is involved. And no-one would appreciate (pay for) that labor as much as I would like.

All this is part of my reasoning.

DrewsBrews wrote:Welcome!

The first is quite the undertaking and mistakes will be made. Not the end of the world usually, but you can take what you learn and make the next one perfect and sell the first. 8)

Gives me a way to try two skin types if I like as well.

saywhatthat wrote:seem a lot think i am going to get rich building tears. Build a small box first . They seam to start at around $10 k then 65 soon $2500 are best offer. so might I suggest you do a small box before you get a lot of money invested and maybe get over your head .Saying that I don't know what type of tools you have or experience you have

Not starting a business. Just figure it's not a whole lot more work. I've never seen $2500 or BO. Hell, not even close or I wouldn't bother building at all. Even if all I get is covering some of the cost of the one I keep, I am good.
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:04 am

Why would I not build two identical units at the same time and sell one?

I think what happens with most builders that progress to a second build is their design and building methods evolve. The motivator is usually after a person has camped and camped and recognized they could build a more functional teardrop.

As an example, here's my first galley I designed and built in 2013:

After cooking back there for seven years, this came about:

It's much more efficient.

In manufacturing, there's a concept called prototyping. You might consider building your first, spend some time using it and see what's good and what's bad about it and then build a second one.

That's a thought. :thinking:

I was thinking I would cut the walls together so they are perfect.

The easiest way to make perfectly mirrored walls –-in my opinion-- is to make a full-sized template from 1/4" plywood and then use it to cut within about 1/8" of final and then use the template with a top bearing bit to finish each wall off.

Here's my wife doing the finish cut on a wall:

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mnjeepguy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:48 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Why would I not build two identical units at the same time and sell one?

I think what happens with most builders that progress to a second build is their design and building methods evolve. The motivator is usually after a person has camped and camped and recognized they could build a more functional teardrop.

As an example, here's my first galley I designed and built in 2013:

Also a solid point. My way works there if I only mirror the shell and try #1. I am going fairly simple, so galley and skin are the two places I expect to want change once I use the galley and also see how the skin works. I was pretty into PMF till I looked at the difference and wonder why people are so worried about glass.
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:35 pm

My first SQ drop was started before I found this site #1

Haven't finished # 1

I worked On # 2 More then I did # 1 today

Some one posted a add here, I showed it to my wife she said should have ----

I took the time to find a current add today and I should have just ---- ;)
Attachments
Should have.JPG
Should have.JPG (59.48 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mnjeepguy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 am

twisted lines wrote:I took the time to find a current add today and I should have just ---- ;)

I strongly considered starting with an enclosed. Love the idea of standing up. But, I worry a bit about the offroad aspect I want/need. I saw some conversions, even a company in Colorado that makes them...but they look low IMO. Good ground clearance, but so many places to dent. Hell, maybe I will end up there, who knows? For now...once I clear some things off my plate I am thinking this will be my time killer in the winter.
mnjeepguy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves