Greetings From California

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Greetings From California

Postby DWATTS76 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:24 pm

Hello All,
I'm stepping into the world of DIY and build my own Squaredrop.....I've reached a point where I'm tired of sleeping on the ground, too old, too arthritic...take your pick. Anyhow...I am hand drawing my versions of the SD I'd like to do. I'm planning on trying to keep things light and minimal....as the main towing vehicle is a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a paltry 2.5L...the back up tow vehicle is Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L (She shouldnt have any issues..assuming I can figure out the electrical issue).
I have design plans going good...and then my wife decided she needed to add the NEEDs to the SD vs the wants....so now keeping the weight down it gonna be a riot. (inside Toilet, because she doesnt want to have to get dressed and stumble outside to pee in the woods) Queen Size mattress because we travel with our 60 Staffie and shes a bed hog. and Plenty of room in the galley...*for what I know not... Oh..and she wants drawers built into the bottom of the floor for extra storage....(she keeps missing the part of WEIGHT)

All this is *Attempting to be put on top of a 4x8 ft HF trailer...or similar.

Any how.....Hi..I'm Dan, and Im new to this.
DWATTS76
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Greetings From California

Postby rjgimp » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:34 pm

DWATTS76 wrote:..I've reached a point where I'm tired of sleeping on the ground, too old, too arthritic...take your pick….

Heh… No one else around here has any of THOSE issues… :roll:

DWATTS76 wrote: I have design plans going good...and then my wife decided she needed to add the NEEDs to the SD vs the wants....so now keeping the weight down it gonna be a riot. (inside Toilet, because she doesnt want to have to get dressed and stumble outside to pee in the woods) Queen Size mattress because we travel with our 60 Staffie and shes a bed hog. and Plenty of room in the galley...*for what I know not... Oh..and she wants drawers built into the bottom of the floor for extra storage....(she keeps missing the part of WEIGHT)

All this is *Attempting to be put on top of a 4x8 ft HF trailer...or similar.

Any how.....Hi..I'm Dan, and Im new to this.

Welcome to the nuthouse! There is a way to meet your bride’s needs and the tow limits of that wimpy 2.5l Wrangler. Build with rigid foam. We have an entire section here devoted to the process. There are many many dozens if not hundreds of foam campers out there. They are easy to construct and maintain, very strong, and incredibly light. I suggest you read three build threads for inspiration: Foamstream, Canned Ham in Foam, and the Astroliner. You can easily find them using the search window in the upper right corner of the page.

Ask lots of questions and don’t be shy. Remember, we’re all just as crazy as you are…

“Building your own camper? Yeah, riiiiiiight… “ :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:26 am

Welcome to the fray and the learning curve!

BED:
If you haven't already bought it, go with a 5x8' trailer chassis instead of a 4x8' HF. It'll probably cost you and extra $100 or so(?) but you'll have the basic size of a queen bed as well as the width of your Jeep Cherokee and it will most likely be more sturdy. You won't be sorry. Put two doors in your cabin so nobody is climbing over somebody else in the middle of the night.

POTTY:
Get a shower-style tent for a Luggable Loo or Porta-Potty as well as for changing clothes while standing up. Put the potty next to her side of the bed.
Some shower tents are really easy to set up and take down and fold to almost nothing. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/ROPODA-83inches- ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

DRAWERS:
Drawers are not that difficult. Basically, you build a box and add purchased drawer slides.

You've got this!

PS. Most gatherings start in April. Check the index for your area (So Cal; Central; No Cal?) to see what gatherings are happening. That will give you a chance to look at some home builds or modified builds and get ideas and advice!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:09 pm

BED:
If you haven't already bought it, go with a 5x8' trailer chassis instead of a 4x8' HF. It'll probably cost you and extra $100 or so(?) but you'll have the basic size of a queen bed as well as the width of your Jeep Cherokee and it will most likely be more sturdy. You won't be sorry. Put two doors in your cabin so nobody is climbing over somebody else in the middle of the night.

POTTY:
Get a shower-style tent for a Luggable Loo or Porta-Potty as well as for changing clothes while standing up. Put the potty next to her side of the bed.
Some shower tents are really easy to set up and take down and fold to almost nothing. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/ROPODA-83inches- ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

Well stated. :thumbsup: :thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:23 pm

Thanks, Tony!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DWATTS76 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:54 am

Awesome!!!

And now that Ive broken my foot, I have plenty of time to research the designs in the Foamie section.
DWATTS76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby willll11Hill » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:18 am

Hi all. I'm new here. How are you guys doing?
willll11Hill
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves