Hello from the Netherlands

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from the Netherlands

Postby TallGuy7 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:55 pm

After browsing this site for a while it was time to register and introduce myself.

My name is Menno and I am from Amsterdam in the Netherlands. I have been camping all my life, but like my parents 40 years ago, I no longer wanted to use a tent. They switched to a large caravan, but that is not an option for me, too big to maneuver plus... I simply do not fit in the caravans that are available in the Netherlands since I am 7' 11" tall. An other reason a caravan is not an option is my new car: its an EV with limited towing capacity (750 kg). So we decided to build our own traveling bed and kitchen and bring two Lafuma seats with us for optimal comfort.

I found a lot of information, designs and tips on this and other sites, thanks a lot for all the info and inspiration. I am now in the process of designing my own teardrop. It has to be high enough for me and my girl (6' 3") and long enough to accommodate a mattress that is big enough for the two of us. So super sizing the available designs and keeping it light will be a challenge! Another challenge is finding the right materials, but weight will always be the challenge.

Due to European regulations it is not allowed to build your own chassis. It has to be homologated and this is very expensive for a one-off.
I will be using the chassis of a wrecked caravan that has been refurbished. The advantage is that the chassis is homologated for use as a caravan. Only challenge: finding the chassis in the right size and configuration for my plans. However I am positive I will find that chassis soon.

As soon as I start my build I will try to post on my progress on a regular basis. And I probably will be looking for tips and advice during the build.
TallGuy7
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Postby rjgimp » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:42 pm

Welcome!

As weight is a primary issue for you I recommend exploring the idea of building with XPS rigid foam. It can be skinned with fiberglass, painted canvas, or a number of other things. There is an entire section of this site dedicated to this process.

Happy building and remember we like to see lots of :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: !!!
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby pchast » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:12 pm

Welcome! :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TallGuy7 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:36 am

Thanks for the advice. I already looked at the foamies. Interesting from a weight perspective, but I am not getting very excited about building a foamie myself. Main reason is that I am very comfortable using wood and have no experience whatsoever with composites, epoxy or anything else in that area.

I am currently learning my way around sketchup and making slow progress. When I minimize wood to where it is needed and fill all the spaces with XPS I should be fine.
TallGuy7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:49 pm

Welcome, Menno!

750 kg = 1653.47 lbs (USA)

This can be done fairly easily. If you don't want to use foam and make a foamie, use the thinnest plywood and boards you can find and justify using.

As a general rule, we use plywood no thicker than 0.635 centimeters (1/4 inch), half that, if you can find it, for the walls. For the floor, we often use plywood that is 1.27 to no thicker than 1.905 centimeters (1/2 to 3/4 inch). For support beams around doors and windows and sometimes as bracing under the floor, we generally use boards that are roughly 1.905 by 3.81 centimeters (.75 by 1.5 inches but are labeled 1x2" by the manufacturer :lol: ). Assuming you have never built before (?) you will need to use screws and a good glue when you put things together. We are fond of Titebond II and Titebond III glue because it holds very well and is waterproof. The main difference between Titebond II and Titebond III is that Titebond III gives more drying time before it sets up. You will also need some way to waterproof the entire unit once it's built. Of course, regulations in Amsterdam may define what you can use and do, which may be much different from USA regulations.

With what's happening in the Ukraine right now, I am not certain if wood, screws, glue and such will become difficult to find plus prices may increase so it might be wise to stock up now, if you can.

7'11" and 6'3" tall is quite impressive!

PS. You don't need to have perfect drawings. You can draw something by hand and take a picture of it and upload the photo to here. We'll be happy to see whatever you do, as long as it fits on the screen. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby TallGuy7 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:09 am

I am very experienced in DIY. Just finished a two year renovatioon of my house. The 5 years before that I completely rebuild our house (only the ouside walls were left standing). Had a DIY-sabatical planned for 2022... Lasted just over two months....

This is my first attempt of the conversion of paper to digital. Doors and windows will be added when I bought them. Parts are hard to find since no-one is building a teardrop and loads of people are converting their van into a campervan.

I have decided to source fabrication of walls and skylight frame to a local company with cnc equipment. Should save time to be ready in july 2023 for our tour of Italy bij Mustang & Teardrop combo.

Sidewalls will be fabricated from 18mm plywood, it is available in a sheet of 1500mm x 3660mm, exactly the size I have designed the teardrop in. The voids will be filled wit 18mm xps and both will be covered with a 3mm wooden plate. Outside exterior quality, inside ultra light plywood. Floor is something I have not decided on. Rigidity and weight are an issue. It also depends on the chassis I will end up using.

The roof (mounted on top of the 3mm plywoud) will be covered with what is called GFK. This is hail-proof roofing for caravans. It also allows me to cover the entire roof without any seams. The sidewalls will be covered with aluminum. I am considering using caravan-specific aluminium of 0,6mm. Downside is limited colouring options, but It is available in sizes that also allow the sides to be covered with one piece. Maybe I will add some colour bij applying a wrapping foil. They are available in very nice colours.
TallGuy7
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves