Awakened biker building a tiny-home to enjoy the country

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Awakened biker building a tiny-home to enjoy the country

Postby Chief-John » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:24 am

Well, I'm 72, retired electrician and Army vet. I found TTTT over at TearJerkers a couple hours ago. Saw Cindy's post about Beaver's bend and now I'm booked into Beavers Bend April 20 to 24, #34...
Hopefully, In my 4'x6'x5' point nose w/ramp Cargo trailer conversion. So far, added: 2-12x22 windows and the 26x36 Amazon side door; 5ft tongue extension for a 48"x68" aluminum diamond plate front deck and 10" wide side steps in front of the fenders. Planning on: 32" TV on a 28"x48" cabinet in the point with stereo and all electric controls; 5k btu air conditioner; a 6' couch sitting on stacked storage boxes that support the 3 piece hinged bed boards and mattress pads; 2" rear hitch for a 'back porch' rack to offset tongue weight and that also holds 2" sq tubing support for the floor of my 'ramp room' which will be a rear kitchen & add'l space bringing interior to 4x9; Roof rack will hold 2 solar panels and duffel bags for clothes, bedding, etc; Trailer Doubles as a toy hauler for a People S200 scooter!
Wish me luck.... I have 23 days to finish it!
Last edited by Chief-John on Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chief-John
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Awakened biker building a tiny-home to enjoy the country

Postby Chief-John » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:36 am

LOL... "TEARDROP INSPECTOR"...? Are these 'titles' automatic?
Growing up, I went to Mineral Wells high school and college at Tarleton in Stephenville... So I fit in to the 'South Central' club pretty well.
Chief-John
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Greg M » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:38 am

Welcome aboard, and good luck :thumbsup:
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby friz » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:36 am

Should be a cake walk for someone with your background. I did the same thing. I booked a trip 6 months out, ordered my kit and made my deadline. Had a blast. Peddlers Jamboree, Missouri 2017. Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Gold5one » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:42 am

Welcome- I'm electrician too, since 1971. - at least we have nobody to blame but ourselves, if the trailer lights quit working. :-)
I managed to get a job last year for a couple months in a steel mill in New Bedford, MA= 50th year of work in my trade. Good luck on your conversion. Working on my build has been a great retirement project for me.
Mark
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby friz » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:08 pm

Gold5one wrote:Welcome- I'm electrician too, since 1971. - at least we have nobody to blame but ourselves, if the trailer lights quit working. :-)
I managed to get a job last year for a couple months in a steel mill in New Bedford, MA= 50th year of work in my trade. Good luck on your conversion. Working on my build has been a great retirement project for me.
Mark
A&P and electronics tech here. Same boat.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Chief-John » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:44 pm

Thanks for the welcomes and sharing a little about yourselves.
WELL, The countdown is at 19 days now and we're still working on the exterior with no floor in the trailer yet!
Still needing to Wire: The 120V shore power to the inverter and 120V outlets; Trickle charger for the batteries. The brake and clearance lights; New 7-pin RV trailer socket on the car and the matching plug on the tongue.
After wiring, and reinstalling floor and front deck, Insulate with closed cell spray foam. Then build interior ceiling, walls, trim out lights, switches and plugs. Build cabinets, tables, bed, etc...
I may just put the plywood in it, throw in an air mattress and sleeping bag and go! But I'll see what I can get done in the next 2 weeks....
Chief-John
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chief-John » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:50 pm

Gold5one wrote:Welcome- I'm electrician too, since 1971. - at least we have nobody to blame but ourselves, if the trailer lights quit working. :-)
Mark

"Retirement Project" is a good way to put it... I'm beginning to think there may be no end in sight! But the trailer has been a lot of fun! I hope I have as much fun using it as I have had building the danged thing... LOL
Chief-John
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chief-John » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:14 am

friz wrote:Should be a cake walk for someone with your background. I did the same thing. I booked a trip 6 months out, ordered my kit and made my deadline. Had a blast. Peddlers Jamboree, Missouri 2017. Image

Friz, Your teardrop is a work of art! So, 2017? Happy 5th yr anniversary! 6 mos would have been a more relaxed pace... I gave myself like 26 days?
Chief-John
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:28 am

Chief-John wrote:
friz wrote:Should be a cake walk for someone with your background. I did the same thing. I booked a trip 6 months out, ordered my kit and made my deadline. Had a blast. Peddlers Jamboree, Missouri 2017. Image

Friz, Your teardrop is a work of art! So, 2017? Happy 5th yr anniversary! 6 mos would have been a more relaxed pace... I gave myself like 26 days?
Mine was not "done" when I took it on its maiden voyage. I used it without a head liner for a couple seasons. I have added things, changed things etc. If I was in your position, I would make a list of mission objectives, prioritize them, and let the level of "done" fall where it may. Dont let your "fun" project stand in the way of a good time. Stop on occasion and have that beer while admiring your handywork. Your little camper will be your travel companion long after this deadline.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Chief-John » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:28 pm

friz wrote:
Chief-John wrote:

Mine was not "done" when I took it on its maiden voyage. I used it without a head liner for a couple seasons. I have added things, changed things etc. If I was in your position, I would make a list of mission objectives, prioritize them, and let the level of "done" fall where it may. Dont let your "fun" project stand in the way of a good time. Stop on occasion and have that beer while admiring your handywork. Your little camper will be your travel companion long after this deadline.

Thats a good idea Friz, Unfortunately, insulating with closed cell spray foam limits future changes inside the walls. The stuff sets up almost dense as solid wood... But, it adds tremendous structural strength w/o a lot of weight! Plus, still haven't cut in the a/c yet. Son wants driver side in front of the axle, adding tongue wt. I wanted passenger side near the back corner.
I noticed some of these teardrops are double layers of 3/4 plywood. That's a whole lot heavier than .025 aluminum siding and 'z' bar studs...
Chief-John
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Donatello1 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:53 am

[size=150] Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie and having my 6 x 9 ttt built by Ok schooners. Only trouble with that is the build time. Going to be early June before we get on the road. I'm an old biker, now retired and doing the cage thing. Just wondering how the teardrop pulls behind the bike.
Why does everyone type in such a small font?[
The Beavers Bend Campground , that's in Oklahoma , right? size=150]
Donatello1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby saywhatthat » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:37 am

noticed some of these teardrops are double layers of 3/4 plywood. I think you better check that out I don't think that ever happen
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:31 pm

Welcome to the asylum, John. You appear the type who will fit in just fine around here. Hope to cross paths sometime.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Chief-John » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:40 pm

Donatello1 wrote:[size=150] Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie and having my 6 x 9 ttt built by Ok schooners. Only trouble with that is the build time. Going to be early June before we get on the road. I'm an old biker, now retired and doing the cage thing. Just wondering how the teardrop pulls behind the bike.
Why does everyone type in such a small font?[
The Beavers Bend Campground , that's in Oklahoma , right? size=150]

Thanks 'Don'... 6x9 is huge compared to my 24 sq ft 4x6... Yeah, I'm in OKC so I jumped on a meetup that close! I have a friend that pulls a small popup camper with a goldwing trike. On YouTube, I've seen some DIY 'Foamies' pulled behind a bicycle! they're 1 1/2 styrofoam glued together and layered in fiberglass or PMF/canvas/glue and paint. I'm sure you can make a camper to haul behind a regular motorcycle... I haul a small scooter in my camper for campground mobility and ice runs. lol
Chief-John
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves