Retired Forest Service - Mods & DIY

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Retired Forest Service - Mods & DIY

Postby dchurch » Tue May 17, 2022 11:34 pm

After 31 years of working in the field it was time to hang it up. Now we drive the backroads strictly for fun. We spent over 40 years in love with tent camping. But now we camp far more often and year round.

The time was right to buy an RV. It didn't take long to zero in on an off-road type teardrop. We spent about a year looking, thinking, and visiting builders.

Although I've designed and built boats, kayaks, our home and umpteen different projects, my wife insisted we just buy a teardrop. I reluctantly agreed because as she says I tend to go overboard.

So now I'm satisfied with the never-ending attempt to make our manufactured teardrop better in anyway possible. Lol

Along with teardrop and shop projects; I like: Sharing ideas on YouTube, fishing, making bamboo flyrods, playing harmonica, hiking, bicycling, kayaking and surfing.

Youtube---> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1Kw ... XkS3fUY_gn

Web site--->
https://teardropcampnews.wordpress.com/
Last edited by dchurch on Wed May 18, 2022 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dchurch
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Retired Forest Service - Mods & DIY

Postby QueticoBill » Wed May 18, 2022 6:08 am

Wow. A lot of useful YouTube's. Thank you.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby TimC » Wed May 18, 2022 8:01 am

+1 on WOW! Nice set of videos. I'll be watching those soon. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your retirement...
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 18, 2022 9:39 am

Hey, nice webpage. Where was your last FS post (Forest/Region)? It sounds as if you may have been an SA?

Anyway, welcome to the club.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dchurch » Wed May 18, 2022 11:39 am

Thanks guys!

Tony,
The short answer is R6/F12/D05,4,3 LEO (Oregon/Siuslaw NF).

I was asked to consider a SA position at one point but office work was always my least favorite duty (no thanks). I retired as a zone LEO (three districts).

At the risk of too much information:0... I started in '77 as a volunteer and paid employee while fighting fire. By the end of the season I was hired at the Oregon Dunes NRA (recreation department). I was soon recruited by the enforcement/fire department and spent 14 years working at the dunes. I moved to full time District LEO and retire as a zone LEO (Waldport/Mapleton/Alsea).

Throughout my career I participated in the nationwide wildfire program (incident command system). About 25% of my ICS assignments were law related, the rest is a pretty long list. Over the years I worked from Alaska to the boarder of Mexico and as far east as Georgia. I was a Region 6 defensive tactics instructor for 20+ years and a technical investigative equipment manager/developer. The law and investigation branch has a mandatory retirement age. I planned for age 50 and made my way out at age 51.

I spent the first 5 years of my retirement working part time as a General Contractor while waiting for my wife to retire from teaching. At that point we became fully retired teardrop bums, Lol. We normally take one or two trips a months that last between one to three weeks.

Tony, Do you happen to have a FS or LE background?
dchurch
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 18, 2022 12:41 pm

Tony, Do you happen to have a FS or LE background?

Sorta. I hung up my BLM Pulaski in Alaska in 1985 as the AFCO for the Upper Yukon Zone. I was carded as a Type 1 Logistics Chief. (And that's the ultimate fire challenge in Alaska, in my opinion.) The next ladder rung involved full-timing in Fairbanks ––so I passed on that life and became an Idaho game warden. 'Retired since 2009. We know people in common.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dchurch » Wed May 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Hat off to you Tony,
I was an acting Logistics Chief for a few shifts in '88 at the Yellowstone fires. That's a heavy responsibility.
My time in Alaska was spend training/certifying the region's LE troops. It is beautiful country but I can't imagine working in the winter conditions.
We will be camping out of Boise later this month. Our daughter lives there and we just love camping/fishing Idaho!

"Retired since 2009" Congratulations big time! That is an awesome rig and photo you posted.
dchurch
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves