Greetings from Central Wisconsin!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Greetings from Central Wisconsin!

Postby johnvan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:27 am

Hey all! I've been reading this forum for a bit, trying to get as much info as I can before my first build. My wife and I are avid tent campers, but she's always wanted a pull-behind so I recently decided that I would build one for her.

Just ordered a 5x8 Northern Tool Aluminum utility trailer, and will build the camper out of foam as we'll be towing with a little Toyota Corolla for now. Planning on more of a squaredrop than anything else, but the design continues to evolve! (And I'm guessing it will continue to do so right till the time I cut the foam and maybe even beyond!)

Excited to try building one of these, but a bit jealous when I see how little builders in the recent past spent on their campers. (Thank you pandemic and inflation!) What I'm looking at now will run about $5k, without electrics package. I have basic woodworking skills and decent tools, so my biggest concern going in is with the electronics system (solar and shore).

Will be doing some initial tripping around the upper Midwest, but hoping to take the completed trailer to Florida this winter as our first big trip. (I will be taking two weeks to canoe the Everglades Wilderness Waterway, and my wife will relax at campgrounds with my niece and nephew while I am on the water.)

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has contributed so much great info on this forum. It's already been a tremendous help.

Cheers,
john
johnvan
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Greetings from Central Wisconsin!

Postby twisted lines » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:06 am

johnvan wrote: Hoping to take the completed trailer to Florida this winter as our first big trip.

Paste this on the fridge ! :lol:

Still changing mine.
& on #2 :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:53 pm

Hellooo!

...so my biggest concern going in is with the electronics system (solar and shore).

Don't sweat it. This place is like a living encyclopedia. Ask away and somebody will explain how it's done.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:14 pm

Welcome aboard.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves