Hello from Pittsburgh

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Pittsburgh

Postby Cheeks » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:28 am

Hello everyone, I found this place linked in the DIY Camper Group on FB and figured I'd come check it out

Some quick backround, I have a chevy s10 that I road race and auto-x and recently there have been some events popping up (One Lap of America and Summit Racing Auto-x Week specifically) that require you to travel for a week to different tracks, race and pack up to move to the next one, in some cases, doing 3500+ miles in a week. In an effort to save on hotel costs, I'm looking at building myself a teardrop camper I can tow behind a lowered s10 (with a lot of power and big racing brakes) that won't beat my expensive rear suspension up so much traveling between races. We're limited to using a 4x8 trailer footprint, so I'm looking at using a HF trailer because they're close by to me. I've read about the bearings needing repacked and strengthening the frame a bit, I'm a slightly above average welder so its not alien to me to fab and do metal work.

To make this a reality, it also needs to appeal to my wife (she already lets me spend money on racing!) so AC is a must, a decent albeit functional kitcheonette and a rack on top or on the sides to carry her kayak, pop up tents and misc other stuff would be nice as well, although I THINK using round bar and welding a "cage" around the tear drop body and anchoring to the frame would work?

In any event, I can't wait to dig into this, its going to be an exciting adventure and I appreciate all of you for input you've already given!
Cheeks
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Pittsburgh

Postby pchast » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:11 pm

Welcome. :D

I'll be interested to see what you build
and how it works out for you.
:pictures:
Pictures are always nice....
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Hello from Pittsburgh

Postby JasenC » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:19 pm

Sounds like you're going to be hauling some gear, calculate your weights, something like this can get away from you in a hurry and not beating your truck to death is a key priority.

Other than that, jump on in, show some pics, ask some questions, share some knowledge.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves