Unusual "cyber"drop design input needed

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Unusual "cyber"drop design input needed

Postby brownj24 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:53 am

Hi friends!

Long time reader and lurker as I design my electric front hub powered three wheel teardrop. I am planning on towing this behind my ebike and travelling the world this way for a year or two. Here is a basic overview if you care to have a look:
https://youtu.be/CjDutTAW10g

I have calculated the CG, rollover angle, and various figures. But as this is my first build (besides a utility trailer for my bike, which taught me the importance of having a low CG). I'm eager to get some of you experienced people weigh in on my plan and tell me if these figures seem to be in the safe zone for stability in cornering and moderate to high wind.

Here are the calculations in a Google Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Does this generally look stable enough, even with the narrower wheel track of 36 inches?

Thanks!
brownj24
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Unusual "cyber"drop design input needed

Postby DJ Davis » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:15 pm

Brownj24,

That's a nice concept! I like the idea of the camper being powered to help on those hills and such!

As for the CG, I'm no engineer, but it looks like you'll have enough framing for weight to make her on the bottom-heavy side. My two-cents worth is go with XPS foam and Poor Man's Fiberglass (PMF) for the upper construction. Here's the Instructables link to my camper: https://www.instructables.com/Home-buil ... op-Camper/ The nice thing about working with foam is that if you make a mistake on a cut, gorilla glue it back together and cut it again...carefully! The best carpenters' rule I was ever taught - measure twice, cut once. Do I always follow it...? No. :oops: But...did I tell ya that you can glue the foam back together and cut again...? :lol:

As for looking at what someone has done recently, look up Lucy's video on YouTube where she helps a chap build a teardrop for towing behind his classic Vespa scooter. He posted a couple of other videos of his own, too. They should pop up once you find the main construction vids.

Best of luck on your project. Please take good pics and document your build on tnttt or create an Instructables page. If gas prices don't improve, this may become a trend for us that are serious about camping!

V/r,
Last edited by DJ Davis on Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Re: Unusual "cyber"drop design input needed

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:20 pm

Neat idea.

How will you control the trailer? Is the bike e-assisted as well? Will you have any braking on the trailer?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves