Hello from Newfoundland

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Newfoundland

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:56 am

After a long winter of planning and researching our Goal is to build a lightweight low-voc mold resistant camper that's affordable.

I have health issues and we can't buy just any camper. So we started the journey to build our little non-toxic camping pod that can slide on to a utility trailer, have a place to wash up (very important with health issues) and be light enough to be towed by our 4 cylinder CX5. Everything inside will need to run off solar as well. After a winter of thoughts, we started the build, but it may have to evolve as we go.

For this trailer build we are challenged with finding materials that are lightweight, low voc and mold resistant.

We initially wanted to purchase an aluminum trailer but budget didn't permit it - so we purchased a Stirling 5x10 galvanized trailer.

The design we came up with will be similar to a truck camper in that the little camper pod will be able to be removed from the trailer - so we can upgrade in the future if needed - and we can still use the trailer for other things on the homestead.

We have to find low wattage appliances and have been researching unique solar solutions for appliances, hot water, toilets and the like.

After much research and with limitations in material options living on an island, we decided that we would go with an exterior shell of ACM that can be bought locally at EM Plastics, ACM is Aluminum composite material with a polyethylene core layer and aluminum heat pressed on both or one sides, this product comes with a protective coating suitable for outdoor use, is flexible but strong enough that we can omit using plywood. We initially looked at fylon or coil stock aluminum but these option require a plywood base and we wanted to get away from using plywood if possible. They also require glues and the aluminum coil stock was unfinished so would require paint or a coating.

For the insulation we opted for SilveRboard is a rigid insulation board made from Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) covered with a layer of polypropylene reflective lamination on both sides - We'd prefer to go with Newfoundland Styro as it's a local product but were unable to easily source it - Foil backed EPS t's not prone to mold and will not hold moisture like batt insulation.
I'm leaning toward using the fiberglass reinforced polyester for the interior walls and ceilings but haven't tested it yet to see if I'm compatible, if not we will go with aluminum coilstock.
For the cabinets we will use whatever leftover ACM we have unless we can find affordable Metal, PP or PE cabinetry.

The frame will be constructed from standard spruce lumber and perhaps some strong ties.

For adhesives, sealants & caulks, I'm going with what I know works for me that is readily available, that's PL Premium Fast Grab which works as a great adhesive to almost any surface and meets LEED standards due to its low-VOC, toluene-free formula. In the past I've used Dap 100% pure silicone caulking without issue once it's fully cured but there are other caulking on the market now that may be better - so I'll have to try them out.

So that's the idea for the shell, we've already started the construction and things may evolve as we dig into the project but stay tuned we'll show you how it's coming along as we progress and I'm sure we'll have some questions as well.

Hubby is posting the progress on his youtube channel. (Buddywhodoesstuff)

Here's the idea:
[img]
White%20Blue%20Design%20sm.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
White Blue Design sm.jpg
White Blue Design sm.jpg (87.59 KiB) Viewed 282 times
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Hello from Newfoundland

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:56 pm

Welcome!

Best wishes on your new trailer build!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pchast » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:25 pm

Good luck with your new build... :thumbsup:

Wish you showed a side elevation of the design.
You need to have a concern for weight distribution
with the height you envision. Upper cabinets are a
factor in balance. You may be affected by winds
:thinking:
I am most interested in your approach to materials
available there that fit with your needs and allergies.
I also have many.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:58 am

S. Heisley wrote:Welcome!

Best wishes on your new trailer build!

Thanks so much!
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:05 am

pchast wrote:Good luck with your new build... :thumbsup:

Wish you showed a side elevation of the design.
You need to have a concern for weight distribution
with the height you envision. Upper cabinets are a
factor in balance. You may be affected by winds
:thinking:
I am most interested in your approach to materials
available there that fit with your needs and allergies.
I also have many.

Sorry to hear you suffer from allergies too...It's trial & error finding materials, essentially I have to test everything first. I was happy to find that PL is an adhesive I can tolerate once dry.
I design and have built small footprint homes but this pod was a first for me and much more challenging than a static house. Yes we've considered weight and will also balance it out with water storage, the trailer we bought also has an adjustable axle. The side profile is in the photo, both sides will look the same. There are more photos of the design in this video if you'd like to check out hubby's videos, he's also posting build updates (non-monetized channel just for sharing ideas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hE0CR4skI&list=PL3xH6AKVUIyhKBBMhYYJ7pHxtnjzy8D0V

We're learning as we go :)
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:45 pm

I understand "learn as you go", I did.

I shall be interested to watch and
learn with you. I usually shun videos.
Yours was short and clearly informative.

Thanks.
Pete
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves