Minimum bathroom closet size

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Minimum bathroom closet size

Postby steveonzakon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:37 pm

lrrowe wrote:
steveonzakon wrote:I asked this on another forum, and then found a shower/toilet combo pan manufacturer site. The smallest size has a width of 21" and they go up from there. If you are not too wide in the hips :lol: 23" would probably work.

http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_L ... egoryID=85

Thanks, but ouch the prices are sure up there aren't they? After I make the mock-up shower, if I do not like any shower bases that are available for under $100 (for example: http://www.jazzsales.com/index.php?rout ... ath=46_247), I think I might look into making my own as some other posters have done.

Not suggesting you buy from them, just using the examples as a sizing chart :)
Campers are for sleeping in, almost everything else should happen outside.
steveonzakon
Teardrop Builder

Postby lrrowe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:49 pm

steveonzakon,

Thanks, I understand that. I am leaning towards making my own from scratch. This weekend from work I will bring home some used backboard corrugated board (from a pistol range) and make a mock up. At least that is something I can do without having the trailer yet.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Doublacola » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:44 am

rsz_1cargo41.jpg
rsz_1cargo41.jpg (67.52 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
This is what we ended up with and we're not real happy with it. Thinking about removing it and going the porta potti route. In our 12' box I've used up a lot of valuable space. Also am going to try and shorten the table/sink combo.
Every time we go camping we come back with a list of "to do's". Does it ever end?

RT
Doublacola
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Spotman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:05 am

Doublacola wrote:
rsz_1cargo41.jpg
This is what we ended up with and we're not real happy with it. Thinking about removing it and going the porta potti route. In our 12' box I've used up a lot of valuable space. Also am going to try and shorten the table/sink combo.
Every time we go camping we come back with a list of "to do's". Does it ever end?

RT

You know as well as all of us, it never ends. Sitting in mine right now at Pocomoke, MD. campground making notes!! :thinking:

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:22 pm

I haven't installed or used mine yet, but I chose a 24x31 combo pan like those used in "Dolphin" type motorhomes. I am(was) planning a "simple" 6x12 toy hauler, however these things seem to evolve rather quickly. All I wanted was a hot shower, but the wife wants a private bathroom, so...

Now the plan is to build a wall with a sliding door just aft of the man door, to separate the "garage/sleeping?" area from the bath area. The bath area will be 4'x6' in total, with the shower/toilet walled off and a door, the rest of the room will also contain a refrig., microwave, and power center, stacked.(same wall as shower) Water tank and batteries are to be housed in benches across front of CT and the entire area will become a changing room, mirrors, cabinet etc.. It will have access from the outside thru man door and from garage thru sliding door.

Well, that's the plan as of today anyhow... We'll see
McDave
Donating Member

Postby angib » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:22 am

One way to deal with this issue with the minimum of space lost is to separate it into two areas:
1) permanent toilet compartment space which contains the portapotty itself;
2) standing area in front of the portapotty which needs only to be separated from cabin when in use.

Area 2 can be created by hinged doors that open to create the larger compartment when it is being used, but fold away the rest of the time.

Doing this so a shower can be used is difficult since the shower tray would be in area 2 - though I like the idea of a removable floorboard that fits over the shower tray so it can be walked on the rest of the time.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Doublacola » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:53 am

Has anybody done the expanding wall? Sounds interesting.
Doublacola
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:49 pm

I saw a guy who built a hinged, fold up shower pan. It was on the Harley Forums. Ill try to find a link.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:25 pm

I had the pleasure of sleeping in a Roadtrek motorhome this weekend. While using the bathroom in it, I thought that it seemed about as wide as the potty area in my own camper trailer; so, I measured it. Sure enough, when the doors were closed the seating width was 19". The difference is that the doors are on one side and can be opened to avail oneself of the aisle space. In fact, the shower pan and curtain track bumps out about an additional 4" at the point of "V" shape, beyond the closed doors so that, if you want to take a shower, you would want to have the doors partly open. (The shower is via a hand-held shower wand and the toilet set down inside the shower pan, with the sink and shower wand in the corner, in front of the toilet.) It seems to me that you might use the shower curtain when using the Thetford toilet, as well. They keep people from tripping on the shower pan by putting a wooden magazine-type rack on the bottom outside of the doors, as well as a wood-framed mirror on top, which increases the spacious feel and automatically make one walk further away from the doors and shower pan area. They did some clever things, including an "L" shaped drawer that allows one to use every possible inch of space while still allowing room for the wires of the Dometic refrigerator, below, and the range and faucet hoses, above. The walls were panels, covered in synthetic suede that appeared to snap on and off with suede-covered snaps; so that the inner works, such as wiring in the walls, would be easily accessible. Actually staying in a manufactured motorhome/camper causes one look at features that one might not notice if just walking through. Needless to say, it was an interesting experience that availed me of the new knowledge, above, that may benefit some of our trailer-builders.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby angib » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:02 pm

I thought I had a graphic for the expanding bathroom idea, but I didn't so here is one I've just made.

This is for the Compact trailer which has an entry door next to the toilet compartment, so adding two more sides gives a toilet-using space. The red door is the door to the toilet compartment and hinged to the back of that is the green second door - which is just a sheet of 3/8" plywood. Using the toilet without leaving the trailer is a bit of a challenge, but if both doors can hinge 180 degrees, it's possible.

I did do a variant of this design with a shower tray under the floor - lift out the floorboard over the shower tray before folding out the doors (sealing the corners becomes a challenge).

Oh, and credit where it's due - this design is a 100% steal from a boat my Dad had when I was a boy.

angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Doublacola » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:28 pm

McDave wrote:I saw a guy who built a hinged, fold up shower pan. It was on the Harley Forums. Ill try to find a link.

Thats interesting , would like to see that.
Doublacola
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Click the image to open in full size.

A removable hinged shower pan can be stored in the garage when not in use or in the upright position against the trailer wall than rotated to the floor (using the hinges with a drain that is accessed by unscrewing a pie hatch. A funnel and a 90º elbow diverts the water to the side and into a Barker Tote-Along Portable Grey Water Holding Tank
I am working on my shower that the pan will fold up flat against the wall than have a screw in 9" drain that, once the deck hatch is unscrewed & removed, the drain funnel is exposed so that is 90º to a left side outside fitting, hose, into a portable gray water tank. The hinges are "camed" to raise the pan off the floor, thus exposing my I-track. The shower curtain track fits (ceiling) so the curtain is just inside of the pan.

Click the image to open in full size.

I don't know if these pics will post so here's the link http://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-t ... -easy.html

There doesn't seem to be a follow up or finished pics. Look at FastHarley posts on pg.1 and pg.4
Last edited by McDave on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:36 pm

angib wrote:I thought I had a graphic for the expanding bathroom idea, but I didn't so here is one I've just made.

This is for the Compact trailer which has an entry door next to the toilet compartment, so adding two more sides gives a toilet-using space. The red door is the door to the toilet compartment and hinged to the back of that is the green second door - which is just a sheet of 3/8" plywood. Using the toilet without leaving the trailer is a bit of a challenge, but if both doors can hinge 180 degrees, it's possible.

I did do a variant of this design with a shower tray under the floor - lift out the floorboard over the shower tray before folding out the doors (sealing the corners becomes a challenge).

Oh, and credit where it's due - this design is a 100% steal from a boat my Dad had when I was a boy.

You did post it somewhere, Andrew; but, it was in a thread like this one, back about 2008; and, good luck finding it again, now. Fortunately, you saved your example elsewhere to resurrect it again, here! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby McDave » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Look here, almost to bottom of page and you can see finished? shower pan. http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage34.html
McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Spotman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Just looked at the whole link, what great ideas are popping up in my mind! Thanks McDave.
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions