Snowmobile Trailer build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Snowmobile Trailer build

Postby Wookie97 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Finally made my decision on what to buy. Ordered my trailer last weekend from Mile High Trailers in Kiowa, CO.

25' x 8.5' V-Nose Snowmobile Trailer
Added 1' of extra height to give me 7' inside
Tandem Axle (Dexter axles with brakes on both axles)
Insulated from factory
Moved the Fuel doors to fit my needs. Going to use one as External Water Fill and Shore Power connector
Factory installed trap door for spare tire. Will Actually use this to hold batteries.

I know its not the most common trailer used but they gave me a great deal on it, should take about 5 more weeks for delivery.

Its going to take a good while to complete my additions but I hope to have at least the following done by hunting season:
Electrical- Looking at installing the PD4045
Heat - Atwood furnace is what im considering
Beds- Seen some good ideas on the site. Still debating if I want to fold down from the wall or lower from the ceiling. If I go with the lowering style I'll use Etrach and Shoring bars to keep the weight down. Will also add 1 fold down bunk bed.
Windows - one I pick up the trailer Ill figure out what size I want before I order any.

If time permits this year Ill add water, shower, and toilet. Not sure how im going to plan that out and run everything. Hopefully it gets here soon, im ready to start my build. Ill add pics of everything once I start
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Re: Snowmobile Trailer build

Postby rebapuck » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:45 am

I already like your idea for the batteries.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Wookie97 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:02 pm

So far we are 3 weeks into the order of my trailer so hopefully it gets here in the next couple weeks. I'm getting ready to order some parts so I can get going but have a few questions for the CTC Pros.

1. How well do those small tankless propane water heaters work? Ive seen two models that seem to be popular (Triton and Eco Temp). From the guys that have used them do they work well. When it comes to mounting I know they have to be outside since it vents out the top. Has anyone made one that is removable? When you at your site you can hang it up on the side and use quick couplers in a small door to run water and fuel. Seem easy but not sure yet.

2. It can get pretty cold in the mountains of Colorado so how well do the Atwood heaters really work? They seem like a good product but haven't seen any reviews on which size is the best. One looks to small and some of the others look like over kill. Any suggestions.

As soon as my trailer gets here Ill start posting pics of my build, right now its the Hurry up and wait game.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wookie97 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Finally!! Trailer arrived over the weekend and I was able to bring it home today. posting.php?mode=reply&f=42&t=62660#

Now I just need some time to start working on it. The square door in the floor is for a spare tire but I am gong to use it to hold my batteries. It is completely welded and sprayed with undercoat inside and out.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:16 pm

One suggestion I would make, consider a flexride axle they are adjustable for offset, an btw We have a Dexter.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Wookie97 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Shadow Catcher,
This trailer has the Dexter Torsion axles. Not sure how they compare to the Flexride but im going to give is a shot.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:45 pm

Ya got it use it!
I did not know you already had one. The flexride uses splined axle ends which can be removed and re set so offset can be adjusted. The only other alternative is an airbag or airshock to get more lift. I am working on it but have not yet found the right shocks.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Wookie97 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Finally had time to start working on the trailer today. First on the list was pull a wall panel and see how well the factory insulated it. At first sight im not to impressed. They used basic Styrofoam panels except in the ceiling, they used actual good insulation like you would find in a house. Pulling the rounded corners off to get to the wall screws was a Pain in the @$$!!!! Not sure how im going to get them back in without messing it up.

What is the general consensus on keeping this or pulling it all out and starting over?

On a good note I also installed the Fantastic Fan. This went a lot better than I thought it was. Pulled the old vent out and cleaned all that sealant off, That stuff is a mess!!

Added the butyal tape to the bottom of the Fantastic Fan.

Screed it all down and recovered with Sealant.

Was able to pic this up at the local RV shop.

Now its on to running the wires for the fan and figure out exactly how I want to lay it out.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby VijayGupta » Sat May 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Proposed floorplan?
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby Wookie97 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Here is the potential Layout. Ever time I walk in the trailer I come up with something new. My biggest problem is the Spare Tire compartment. When I ordered it they said it would be really far forward, not almost in the middle. That changed my whole idea of shower and toilet. From the edge of the compartment to the wall is about 32". I wanted to put a shower on one side and toilet on the other. My concern with it up in the front is all the additional Tongue Framework underneath, not leaving much room for tank. Going to do some research on holding tanks this evening to see what I can find.

Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Sat May 02, 2015 9:30 pm

You could do a shower combo. A shower pan ant toilet base with a holding tank mounted under toilet base.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Wookie97 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:57 pm

Padilen,
I was actually just looking at that type of setup. The toilet is mainly for the wife so I don't need a huge black tank. It does make it nice though in the winter whEnglish elk Hunting. I have a pretty good idea for fresh water tanks but my concern is running the shower drain if I keep the set up in the front of the trailer. Also thinking of changing the Murphy bed into a fold down bunk. Idea is to put another one right across from it. If the wife goes camping I could pull both sides down and add a center piece to make the bottom bunks one large bed and still have two upper ones for the daughter and if anyone else goes.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 am

The one I ordered is 10 gallons. But my "idea" is not to use that tank but a portable tank.
I have a free shower toilet sink tank combo- needs refinishing/restoring if your interested and close to Mi.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Wookie97 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Does anyone have any pics or a link to how theyes installed a Atwood furnance in their trailer? From what I see it installs from the outside in but nto sure how the edges are sealed and the outer door cover.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby Little R » Wed May 13, 2015 11:52 pm

I installed the atwood everest series furnace rated at 16000 btu in my 7x16. The hole thru the side is approx 3in by 5in. It does a good job keeping us warm.
I mounted the ecotemp water heater on the inside wall. Leaving the vent open and door cracked it works well. The controls of the water heater have to be within reach from the shower to control the temperature.
Little R
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions