Emergency Shelter Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Emergency Shelter Build

Postby GTS225 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:05 pm

Here's something that could also help him out. If there's a large enough inverter available that could be mounted in the truck, he could operate off the truck's battery for a limited time, if there wasn't any shore power available. It might also work to charge the pod battery. Start truck, plug in battery charger, turn on inverter. Then again, if he's not very well "automotive familiar", it could be a monumental mistake to rig that capability.
I think Walmart still allows overnight use of their lots, but don't know if power is available. Local campgrounds might also have spaces available, even in winter.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby jwh92020 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:56 pm

GTS225 -

I like your idea, but your "monumental mistake" describes him perfectly, not to mention his automotive skills. I've talked to the Walmart in his town and they do not allow overnight parking. I found 2 campgrounds within 30 miles of him that allow 14 day stays, then you have to move (just like BLM land). They both offer restrooms (no showers), drinking water, fire pits and picnic tables. No hook ups of any kind. He can stay there for free, drive in to town if he has work,if not, he can stay put and no one will hassle him. When he does have work (he works for a home builder) he can park on the job site until it's time for landscaping. He'll have access to power, porta potty and be real close to town. In return, he provides job site security for the builder. This is allowed by the city (town) he lives in as long as the trailer is off the street, no open fires (fire pit) and no trash dumping. The city does not allow sleeping in vehicles on city streets. Unfortunately, he has no friends (if you knew him, you'd know why) that will let him park on their land. We did get him a gym membership so he has access to showers, and maybe he'll sit on a bike and pedal while he watches tv.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby GTS225 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:52 pm

jwh92020 wrote:GTS225 -
I like your idea, but your "monumental mistake" describes him perfectly, not to mention his automotive skills.

(Chuckle) OK, that's not in the cards, then.

jwh92020 wrote:and maybe he'll sit on a bike and pedal while he watches tv.

Hmmmm. Sounds like you've done a load of "legwork" for him already. What would be great is if he could pedal the "bike" to charge his pod battery. ;)

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:07 pm

As I said before, This is one lucky guy to have people that are willing to do something like this for him. I hope that this will inspire him to get his poop in a group and make the changes needed to have a life he can be proud of. Maybe someday he can help someone who needs it. That would make all this worthwhile.
So one thing that may be handy here is a porch lite. You can probably use a harbor freight or similar solar with motion detector and run a circuit to a lite inside to alert him that the lite is on and there may be a reason to check it out. I have one for RVs that is powered from house battery but it was expensive. I think you can find something similar much cheaper elsewhere. If you don't have windows this helps.
This is a good thing you are doing, I hope it works. You might want to hold the title in trust, so it wont be sold etc.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:30 pm

McDave-

I have a solar powered motion detector light in my collection of parts & pieces. I hadn't thought of putting it on the trailer, but I will now. Thanks. I'm titling it in my name in OK (he's in LA - the state, not the city) so that if something happens, I can drag it back home. I was going to put a 12 x 18 shed window in the side door, but it won't fit. The strap hinges and bar lock latch is in the way. Maybe in a sidewall, we''ll see.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby jwh92020 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:08 am

It took a bit longer to get it built, but it's done & delivered to my BIL. To say he was surprised would be an understatement. Here is a link to the video I did of the finished product. It was not meant to be a utilitarian sleeper with a couple of perks, not a conversion like I would do for myself. It will keep him warm, dry & secure.

https://youtu.be/o4K4ZBhrgi0
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Well thought out and executed build. I think you accomplished your objective with style and compassion. Nice work! Your BIL is a lucky man. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jwh92020 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:53 pm

Cindy - Thank you. I'd like to build more of these for folks that are disenfranchised, but I need to figure out how to finance them. It was different working on a small trailer vs something 6 ft+ tall.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby Modstock » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:19 pm

Wow, that was fast.
Those shed/playhouse windows sure are getting popular.
Almost too nice inside.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:20 am

I salute you Sir. What you have done here is inspirational. I know I have learned something today. Thanks for sharing with us.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:29 am

jwh92020, Howdy;

Pure-n-simple, can't get much more basic then that. Well ya could but ...
Basic creature comforts go a long way. Congratulations well done!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jwh92020 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:10 am

Thank you all for the kind words. He's been sleeping in it since Thursday and his leg swelling has gone down quite a bit. Hopefully he wakes up & realizes it's time to change what he's been doing isn't working and the trailer is a tool to build from
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions