Fridge options 12v vs 110v

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Fridge options 12v vs 110v

Postby hankaye » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:20 am

Howdy All;

Some folks need to not just assume things.

The debate about running with the propane "on" to run a fridge is a long one.
YES, it is illegal to have an open flame at a fueling facility within "X" many feet of the pumps.
YES, it illegal to have the propane system "ON" while driving through a Tunnel and you will have to
detour around some that go under a body of water even if the system is "OFF".

Generally propane appliances have a fail-safe built into the system so that IF the flame goes out
the propane is shut-off. The best example is the "Sail Switch" that is part of the furnace. Those
of you that have a RV style heater in your builds will notice that when the thermostat activates the system
to generate heat you will hear the fan kick in then 5-15 seconds later you will hear the burner ignite. Well
during that time the sail-switch is sensing the flow of air, not enough and you don't get ignition. (Google;
sail-switch in RV furnace),
The vented door (air inlet), for the RV fridge is designed to operate with the wind blowing past it or directly at it.
Think about it a moment. Do the fridges blow-out when it gets windy ... NO. I've been living in an RV for the past 10 +
years. It gets windy out here in the High Desert (no wind breaks). Never had to re-ignite the fridge.

Please show me where " It is illegal to be running on propane while driving in most jurisdiction, "
My emphasis
What about Propane powered vehicles???
:thinking:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 am

Not just tunnels many ferries too.

But that is often for propane full stop, even new sealed bottles.

Propane vehicles are not running down the road with an open flame inside your living space.

Most developed countries are much better regulated than the U.S.A., try debating these issues with Herr Inspektor at a border stop.

Yes sometimes the law is an ass, often needs to go further, use common sense. "Been doing it for decades haven't blown up yet" is IMO not an acceptable counter argument.

But of course, do what you like
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Thank you Hank for pointing out how it's safe.

John, no one is saying to do it because I haven't had a problem (which I haven't), it's that it's safer than you think. Running down the road and running the refrigerator on battery, well believe or not, some vehicles just can't do it. Several of another forum (as I've mentioned) can not. Here, peoples system are smaller and probably a few have a refrigerator the size of mine. With what it consumes for power, that's one heck of a battery bank if you decide to stay put for a few days.

I offer the propane solution to this mainly because I've done both and see how well it works.

Your choice which way to go. Both are safe.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:05 pm

First principles of extended living off grid

Only install super-efficient devices, that require a tiny fraction of the energy consumed per 24hrs compared to thirsty appliances designed to work off mains AC.

In other words, maybe a grand total of one hundred 12V Ah per day, at most say 500 with the ability to scale down by 80% without too much sacrifice.

Have available multiple sources of electricity available.

I have yet to see a vehicle that can't produce several days' worth of energy from alternator in a supply run, maybe 2-3 hours.

It would be stupid in this context to own a fridge that needs more than 20-30Ah per day, yes a freezer's maybe triple that.

In decent insolation conditions there should be no reason to use ICE sources at all.

I suppose a super tiny trailer pulled by a super tiny vehicle will have trouble with 1kW of panels and a 6-800Ah bank - is that large in your view?

But that just means it's even more important to reduce energy consumption as much as possible.

I'm not saying everyone should scrap their propane fridge if they prefer to go that way, but I will always advocate for 12V compressor, or some of the Peltier models, as a far superior option these days.

And I will **never** accept that it's OK to run them off the propane option while driving.

Do what you like yourself of course.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:40 pm

John16CT, Howdy;

From your choice of words I'd reckon that you are from The UK or Canada or as
John Wayne may have stated, "Pilgrim, yer not from these parts are ya?" (chuckle).
What and how you believe is all up to you, zero argument from me on that point. So,
when you say " And I will **never** accept that it's OK to run them off the propane
option while driving. " That's up to you and your Government to figure out. But you
might state which Country you are referring to when making statements such as;
" It is illegal to be running on propane while driving in most jurisdiction, for obvious reasons. "

Ok, movin' on along...

I don't have much information on those Peltier cooler boxes, so I did a quick check and the
majority of 3 outta 5 articles mentioned that It's kind of like a heat-pump. Does a fair job
but has it's limitations. Most quit heating when the outside air temp. gets to about 30*F.
Here is a link to Wiki's (Roll-eyes, ya I know),
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoele ... weaknesses
That covers the Pros & Cons and efficency ...

So. I'll happily stick to my Propane.

Cordially;

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 pm

hankaye wrote:But you might state which Country you are referring to when making statements such as;
" It is illegal to be running on propane while driving in most jurisdiction, for obvious reasons

I thought it obvious I was not talking about within any one nation.

My point was not "the law" (so often an Ass) so much as the fact that those laws exist in those more civilised, better-regulated societies

is for a very good reason, which should IMO be (again) obvious to anyone thinking about it.

And yes, most Peltier "electric coolers" really suck.

Lately some full-fledge proper **fridges** have come on to the market, largely eliminate the usual failings, very efficient **and** effective.

Me? I'll stick to compressor type until they've proven themselves for many more years, multiple trustworthy community members raving about their reliability.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:04 am

John61CT, Howdy;

Ok, from what I can tell and judging from your reply you just want a good
argumentative type of conversation. I really don't have the brain-space nor
the patience to put up with that sort of distraction. So, attempting to learn
from my experience ... that was the realm of my last ex-wife. Haven't heard of
her demise yet so I don't believe she may have passed the pin that stuck out
of her butt that, she believed, the World spins upon on it's axis.

:thinking: , :roll: , :)

So, I will be invoking the Ignore button regarding any and all of your postings.

By-by.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions