Functional toilet only bathroom size??

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Functional toilet only bathroom size??

Postby brianjonesphoto » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:12 am

I'm trying to figure out what the smallest functional size for a toilet only bathroom. My current sketch has a "room" where the V and side wall form a trapaziod for some extra shoulder room. The space is 24" at the back 36" at the "door" and 36" deep. I might end up using one of those swing out shower curtain rods for the door to gain some standing space. Privacy won't be ideal but hell it's a small trailer and it's just the wife and kids with me. Hopefully this will only be occasional kid use and night time needs.

Nose3.jpg
Nose3.jpg (171.13 KiB) Viewed 3045 times

Is this too small to be functional with a portable toilet? I was planning on placing the toilet on a platform for extra height is needed.

Thanks
brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Functional toilet only bathroom size??

Postby McDave » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:30 am

I think that would be pretty good for toilet only. I have a "wet bath" shower/toilet combo that is just about 24 x 24. You really have to sit to shower if you are a full size guy, but can stand for reg. toilet use. Should be fine for kids and wife.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:59 pm

As drawn, that is a comfy size. If you are not using a porta-potty, you may want to consider how the trailer framing impacts your toilet location.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:18 pm

I'd sit on a bucket and have the wife and kids hold cardboard around me to simulate walls. Then I'd see how much room I'd need for bobo access without the walls getting in the way.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:21 am

bdosborn wrote:I'd sit on a bucket and have the wife and kids hold cardboard around me to simulate walls. Then I'd see how much room I'd need for bobo access without the walls getting in the way.

Bruce

That's the best approach. A full size mock up.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:44 am

brianjonesphoto, Howdy;

Live in an RV with a totally independent W/C (thunder bucket room), with a fixed commode.
Measures 24" wide by 37" long. I'm 6'1" tall and wear a size 52L sport coat. It's snug in there
but not un-comfortable. Besides I don't stick around for any length of time, do my biddnes,
the paperwork and I'm outta there. Just thought ya might like a reference point.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Grummy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:18 pm

brianjonesphoto wrote:I'm trying to figure out what the smallest functional size for a toilet only bathroom.
Thanks

I had one travel trailer that was so small, you had to let your legs hang out in the hallway. May as well not had a "room" at all. Simply no way you could get things done behind the door.

In my Stepvan, I made sure I had plenty of side space (I'd have to measure,... dont recall, and I know I had nearly 48" in length. The way things worked out, I had an additional 18" behind the room with nothing in the way when the drivers seat was tipped forward, so I made the room "expandable" into that area which made room for a standup shower in front of the potti as the potti slid back with the moving wall.

Obviously, there is not that much room to give up in a cargo trailer. While I did not go this route in my current trailer, I did draw plenty of plans that allowed the FRONT WALL/DOOR of the bathroom pull out into the hallway or walk area when necessary. One would simply make the front wall door area connected to 1/4" ply that slides forward, always keeping the side walls appear to be intact. You can see some Promaster type vans being done similarily.

Perhaps that is something you can think about with your concept. Even if you did the sliding wall on the right side in your drawing, the left side could just be an accordion style section of vinyl. COMFORT while your there is a must !
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby brianjonesphoto » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:23 pm

I wanted to post a follow up. I mocked up my bathroom idea and it work just fine for my 6'6" 250lb self. Could even use a solid door, but that decision won't be made until it's acutely built.

brianjonesphoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tooldad » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:58 pm

We are doing a large 32ft cargo trailer conversion with a toilet only bath. My area is 23 1/2 x 36.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t05vI ... EUI0GBT2lg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t05vIP6q8P-HdwE83AAmIdEUI0GBT2lg
tooldad
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions