Ordering My New Trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Ordering My New Trailer

Postby Augie Dog » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:57 pm

FYI...kind of a long post but looking for your thoughts! I have been lurking on here for a couple of years now gathering idea,designs,what works what doesn't and I'm ready to go!
I'm ordering a Diamond Cargo 8.5' X 20' X 6'-6" (78") inside height, with minor build changes .030 skin,66" tongue extension,one piece aluminum roof,straight axles (trailer ground clearance) and an additional roof vent. I am struggling with should I go with an 18 ft. instead of the 20 ft.?? Quite the conundrum! Anyway I'll figure that out later. I have in my head /paper how this will be laid out and I'm keeping it VERY simple. Trailer is replacing my 10' X 14' tent and my previous owned 26ft travel trailer that sprung a leak and the back section rotted off!!! :shock:
I was explaining to my son how I plan to do my electric and he is asking me WHY?? (damn educated kids 8) 8) 8) ) My plan is to do 12 volt for lights,radio etc. on one circuit and 110 for A/C,microwave,refrigerate etc. The 110 will be mainly in the kitchen/galley area. My son says it would be easier and cost less if I do ALL 110 and then do inverter for 12v items. His reasoning is all electrical components can be sourced locally with no waiting for RV style electrical components. I want the ability to dry camp when needed and other times have a 110 power source. I do intend to do solar down the road but I just want to get this project going so I can get back camping. What y'all think? :beer: :beer:
Last edited by Augie Dog on Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Re: Ordering My New Trailer

Postby jwhite » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:51 pm

you didn't mention interior height unless you and everyone else is short you will probably regret not getting the extra height , I had to have it for the golf cart I was going to haul around but it makes it feel larger inside.
I built mine 10 years ago and some things I got right was the rv screen door really worth the money and I also had rear stabilizer jacks installed, things I wish I had done was have larger windows installed and had a awning installed from the factory or installed myself, I know they are expensive but well worth it. I know most want to use the ezyup's but they are a pain to deal with.
I would go with as much 12 volt as you can the jackery solar chargers are nice but expensive one thing I have found at Walmart they have some 12volt lights that have a wireless remote they are great, they have a 3 pack for 25.00 and they will work up to 50yards away they are perfect I also have glued some strong magnets to the back so you can stick the anywhere you have metal like your truck.
get some AA rechargeable batteries and charger and your good to go.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:04 am

Actually, if you go all 110vac you would need a converter to power 12vdc appliances. Inverters can make 110vac from 12vdc sources, converters step down and rectify 110vac to 12vdc. I still think that having the ability to use either power source is pretty handy. I have a RV style converter/charger/fuse box/ breaker panel. WFCO model 8955. I also have a generator and a inverter. No solar yet, but that would be really nice to have. Maybe someday. I can run autonomously with the battery and charge with the genny or plug in if power is available. I can also charge from the truck. It's nice to be able power everything except air conditioning without having 110 available. I can run the A/C from the genny if needed. If you ever plan to boondock you will need 12vdc and/or a generator, probably. Just my thoughts.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Augie Dog » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:20 pm

McDave I had that set up in my travel trailer and for me going that route seems to be way too much planning and wiring,etc,etc. My talents are very limited and I would most likely have to have someone install an RV 110/ VAC
for me if it is to be done correctly and safely. But then again I may be way off on my thinking. But I'm still open to suggestions as I put all my plans into place.
Augie Dog
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions