Newbie With Questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Newbie With Questions

Postby mquinn1988 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:53 am

I have been following this forum for a few months and now I have finally joined. I want to build my conversion. I am ready to buy it but I have a couple of questions that I hope you all can answer.

1. Are you able to go to all campgrounds in these? We are mainly looking at KOA places and kid friendly campgrounds for my 5 year old!

2. Do you insure it as a trailer or camper?

I am looking forward to building... I just want to make sure I can use it for my daughters sake! Thank you all!
mquinn1988
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie With Questions

Postby kirkupnorth » Thu May 28, 2020 9:23 am

Hi, mquinn, and welcome!

I can tell you our experiences with these things. When it was time to insure our camper, I just called our insurance agent and explained what we'd done. I texted him a few pictures of the finished interior, including mechanicals, so he could see it was legit. He asked what dollar amount we wanted it insured for, and that's what he went with. He just added it to our existing auto policy, and now our trailer is fully covered for the amount we stated. I should add that our insurance agent is local, and we've had a longstanding relationship with him. That might have made it easier.

We have been to several KOAs with absolutely no problem. We really like KOA when we're not boondocking -- they're always nice, clean, well-run, and welcoming! I think they're really fun, safe places for kids. The only KOA that would not allow us in was in Las Vegas. Apparently there is a Las Vegas city ordinance that requires an RVIA sticker from the manufacturer to stay in any RV park within the city limits. When I spoke to the Las Vegas KOA manager, he said he'd love to have us but the local ordinance didn't allow it. Las Vegas is the only place we encountered any sort of problem.

At state park, state forest, and national park campgrounds, we have not had any problems. You might be surprised how many neighboring campers are curious to have a look inside and see what you've done.

Enjoy your build process, and take and post lots of pictures! I think you and your little girl will get years of enjoyment and lots of great memories out of this!
:)
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby mquinn1988 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 am

Thanks Kirk!

That is what I am doing it for! Simple and easy family time!
mquinn1988
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kirkupnorth » Thu May 28, 2020 12:49 pm

You are more than welcome! We're looking forward to watching progress on your build. 8)
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby Modstock » Fri May 29, 2020 5:35 pm

My insurance guy told me to insure it for the "value in it".
Like construction workers insure thier tools inside.
So I saved all my receipts. Haven't added it up yet but guessing I may be 700 into it. I probably insure it for a thousand.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Sat May 30, 2020 8:06 am

Modstock, Howdy;

Don't just use the materials used to build it. You can also
include the items that you keep in there so you don't have
to unload and reload all the time.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CoventryKid » Sat May 30, 2020 11:36 am

Hi Mcquinn:

My experiences here in British Columbia are exactly the same as kirkupnorth's.

In the past five years, we've had no problem in provincial/state parks and RV parks (both US and Canada).

Just recently, however, we tried to book a winter site for next winter with an established RV park here on Vancouver Island. When I gave them my card with our info on it as well as a picture of "our rig", the park staff were "confused" as to what they were looking at. Our tow vehicle, a high-top conversion van, looks very similar to a Class B which usually results in my explanation: "the van carries my wife's wheelchair and we live in the trailer."

In this case, that caused the park staff to say their problem was a "liability" issue - here in Canada we need a "Z certification" to be "legal" in their eyes. But as I mentioned, five years of touring and this was the first time.

Good luck with your build. It's really fun to realize a dream and create something that is functional for you.

All the best,

Doug
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Chickenthief » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm inside my seventh decade on this planet, and my experience after camping under all kinds of situations, in many different places, and in all manner and form of rig, is that there's always going to be a place somewhere where someone will tell you, "Hey buddy, you can't do that here, it's not allowed." It doesn't matter if you're driving a $175,000 class A, or just doing a leave no trace camp out with a backpack tent, there's always going to be someone out there somewhere who won't have it.

For me and a lot of other people the many advantages of having a CT conversion will always far outweigh the disadvantages. If some campground manager in West Palm Beach doesn't like my CT, it's not going to break my heart.
Chickenthief
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions