The Villa—My 5X10 aluminum cargo conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

The Villa—My 5X10 aluminum cargo conversion

Postby broadcove » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:54 pm

I think of this camper as a substitution for vastly overpriced and inevitably filthy hotel rooms. I intend it for use in RV parks and campgrounds with hook-ups pretty much exclusively.

The trailer I ordered built is tailored to my tow vehicle—a 2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5 (V6, 4X4, 4940 lbs empty, 5000 lbs max towing capacity). I am determined to limit the packed-and-ready-to-roll weight of this camper to 50% of my vehicle’s towing capacity—2500lbs—and to have its aerodynamic footprint be as close to that of the 4Runner alone as possible. I'm happy to answer any question about what I've done already.

1. Tow Vehicle—2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5; added Redarc Tow Pro Elite brake controller; OBDII Scan Gauge to monitor transmission temp; may add air bags if rear squats too much

2. Trailer—2022 Ez-Hauler 5X10 aluminum; electric brakes added; upgrade to 3/8” OSB from luan; extended electrical cord by 3 feet to compensate for 4Runner’s offset plug receptacle; deleted wall vents; interior height 64”; interior width 57”; interior length just short of 12 feet counting v-nose; double barn doors; 890 lbs total weight, 130 lbs tongue weight, as confirmed at CAT commercial scale
Attachments
IMG_1921B.JPG
IMG_1921B.JPG (46.48 KiB) Viewed 484 times
IMG_1919B.JPG
IMG_1919B.JPG (46.61 KiB) Viewed 484 times
IMG_1917B.JPG
IMG_1917B.JPG (36.29 KiB) Viewed 484 times
broadcove
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Villa—My 5X10 aluminum cargo conversion

Postby broadcove » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:42 am

I'd like to seal the underside of the osb decking, which is listed as "water resistant." Asphalt based sealant is out, as I don't want the smell, and I've read that rubber based often cracks and fails. I've seen one build that used Kilz primer on the inside decking. Would that work outside too and would sheet vinyl glue stick well to a Kilz covered osb floor?

My trailer has a gap at the top of the walls hidden by aluminum panels, now removed, to make wiring easier, I assume. The wiring and wiring fixtures will be in the way when I fill that gap when finishing the walls. Any thoughts on how best to deal with this?

Am I correct in assuming that after I remove the osb wall sheathing the structural integrity of the trailer will be compromised and I should not use the trailer on the road for hauling until the osb sheathing is back in place?

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
IMG_1934B.JPG
IMG_1934B.JPG (46.46 KiB) Viewed 408 times
IMG_1933B.JPG
IMG_1933B.JPG (31.08 KiB) Viewed 408 times
IMG_1932B.JPG
IMG_1932B.JPG (27.64 KiB) Viewed 408 times
broadcove
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:30 am

broadcove wrote:I'd like to seal the underside of the osb decking, which is listed as "water resistant." Asphalt based sealant is out, as I don't want the smell, and I've read that rubber based often cracks and fails. I've seen one build that used Kilz primer on the inside decking. Would that work outside too and would sheet vinyl glue stick well to a Kilz covered osb floor?

My trailer has a gap at the top of the walls hidden by aluminum panels, now removed, to make wiring easier, I assume. The wiring and wiring fixtures will be in the way when I fill that gap when finishing the walls. Any thoughts on how best to deal with this?

Am I correct in assuming that after I remove the osb wall sheathing the structural integrity of the trailer will be compromised and I should not use the trailer on the road for hauling until the osb sheathing is back in place?

Thanks for the help!

I've read where different people have been told not to remove the plywood or OSB, because it changes the integrity of the trailer. I could see where it might some. In the framing of my trailer, there is no cross supports, either horizontal or diagonal between the metal studs..

On the sealing of the OSB, I'm not sure about kilz primer.. ( I have never used kilz).. But yes, a primer would work to help protect the OSB for sure. Latex is an awesome sealer for wood.. OSB is so open grained, it make take several coats to get it sealed well..

I use the following primer on wood products exposed to the weather. And I coat at least 3 coats, letting it dry before recoating.. about an hour.. applies easy with a brush or roller...

169572 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zinsser-Bulls- ... oz/3439970

And has a mold and mildew resistant film...

On the gap above the walls, use a piece of trim to your liking, to cover up the gap when finishing the walls.. of course being careful not to nail or screw through the wires.. my trim will be attached so it can be removed incase I need to ever rundown or fix a short in the wiring..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby broadcove » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:05 pm

Thanks very much for the info, David. I'll look into the Zinnser primer. The gap at the top of my walls may turn out to be a benefit, not a problem as I first thought. Fitting a plastic C-channel in the gap and then running the same channel down inside both walls to outlet level may be just the ticket. I've got to work out my electrical needs asap.
broadcove
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JasenC » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:50 pm

Kilz and Zinsser are probably equally good products. Not sure about the longevity of it in this situation, but you can always slap on another coat.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby broadcove » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:32 pm

Thanks very much for the info, JasenC. I'm learning that osb floor decking is rare and probably undesirable, and that it doesn't like water in any form, and so prefers oil-based sealant. As Kilz Original oil-based is unavailable just now, it looks like I'll use a Zinsser product, if I can find that. Not a great time to convert, I fear.

Happy trails, Anthony
broadcove
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JasenC » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:36 pm

Another option would be Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams, but there's a bump in the price.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions