anyone use an icemaker? pros and cons?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

anyone use an icemaker? pros and cons?

Postby onehoser » Mon May 11, 2020 12:41 pm

i'm considering getting a table top icemaker to make ice for the cooler. i have pure sine wave inverter, 100 and 40 watt solar panels and 12v batteries. my thinking is make ice while the sunshines for drinks and the cooler. anyone have any experience with icemakers? any recommendations?
Last edited by onehoser on Mon May 11, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Re: anyone use an icemaker? pros and cons?

Postby MtnDon » Mon May 11, 2020 1:05 pm

We used an ARB 12 volt refrigerator 15 years ago when 4 wheeling in the backcountry. It could be used as a fridge or a freezer. The ARB made the ice for the Extreme Coleman cooler. Froze the water in jugs and just kept moving them from one to the other. The trail driving during the day was enough to keep the batteries up and the freezer working. Plus we had freezer space for frozen foods including ice cream. The only "con" back then was the cost of the ARB.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon May 11, 2020 2:04 pm

We were tent campers but had a chance to use a big deluxe class A motorhome back in 94.
Took the family for a weekend in it.
In the middle of the night the ice maker dropping cubes into the bin woke up the wife. She asked what it was, I told her.
She spent the next two weeks smiling and "complaining" about the hardships of having the ice maker wake you up when camping.
:lol: :lol:
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:28 pm

MtnDon wrote:We used an ARB 12 volt refrigerator 15 years ago when 4 wheeling in the backcountry. It could be used as a fridge or a freezer. The ARB made the ice for the Extreme Coleman cooler. Froze the water in jugs and just kept moving them from one to the other. The trail driving during the day was enough to keep the batteries up and the freezer working. Plus we had freezer space for frozen foods including ice cream. The only "con" back then was the cost of the ARB.

Great idea!

I have a $120, 1.1 cu. ft. mini freezer from Walmart that will freeze a couple gallon jugs of ice in short order. :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby onehoser » Mon May 11, 2020 5:59 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:
MtnDon wrote:We used an ARB 12 volt refrigerator 15 years ago when 4 wheeling in the backcountry. It could be used as a fridge or a freezer. The ARB made the ice for the Extreme Coleman cooler. Froze the water in jugs and just kept moving them from one to the other. The trail driving during the day was enough to keep the batteries up and the freezer working. Plus we had freezer space for frozen foods including ice cream. The only "con" back then was the cost of the ARB.

Great idea!

I have a $120, 1.1 cu. ft. mini freezer from Walmart that will freeze a couple gallon jugs of ice in short order. :thumbsup:

any more info on the mini freezer? make, model?
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Tue May 12, 2020 11:55 am

I use a tabletop icemaker when I travel with my wife as we usually have the freezer full of food stuff for smoothies and etc. I love it. It works great with the inverter and etc.. I do not use it when solo because I leave room for a few small ice cube trays. I can produce enough ice that way for my needs.

Mine is a white Igloo 26lb version. Not sure they make then anymore... but there are many similar on market.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:44 pm

onehoser,

Here is the link to the mini freezer I bought from Walmart, even though it now says currently out of stock.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-King- ... /248677244
Last edited by featherliteCT1 on Wed May 13, 2020 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby onehoser » Wed May 13, 2020 3:13 am

featherliteCT1 wrote:onehoser,

Here is the link to the mini freezer I bought from Walmart, even though it now says correctly out of stock.

i'll see if i can source one elsewhere, thanks!
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:56 am

featherliteCT1 wrote:onehoser,

Here is the link to the mini freezer I bought from Walmart, even though it now says currently out of stock.

At the beginning of April, I wanted to buy a chest freezer. With this coronavirus, and the anticipated food shortages, particularly meat, there was a stampede to purchase freezers, and I found that they are all on backorder.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ParTaxer » Wed May 13, 2020 6:59 am

A portable ice maker will work well. That being said it will need water constantly.
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:16 am

ParTaxer wrote:A portable ice maker will work well. That being said it will need water constantly.

Thanks for that important info! ... and so the plot thickens :twisted:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jwhite » Wed May 13, 2020 11:12 am

I bought one and thought I would use it in my trailer but I never did , it worked great for a year or so but it started to give me trouble and finally it gave out and I threw it away.
personally I feel like it was a waste of money.
I wish I had bought a 12 volt referg / freezer with some of the money I spent on ice over the years. I always ran out early but I go to shooting events and the use a lot so I can buy it easily.

I have been looking on amazon and they have so many I saw this video and it looks like the one I will buy ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJpLU6xqO7I
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Wed May 13, 2020 5:01 pm

jwhite wrote:I bought one and thought I would use it in my trailer but I never did , it worked great for a year or so but it started to give me trouble and finally it gave out and I threw it away.
personally I feel like it was a waste of money.
I wish I had bought a 12 volt referg / freezer with some of the money I spent on ice over the years. I always ran out early but I go to shooting events and the use a lot so I can buy it easily.

I have been looking on amazon and they have so many I saw this video and it looks like the one I will buy ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJpLU6xqO7I

i checked out the alpicool 16 quart unit, i liked the price $329 cdn but amazon wanted $200 shipping.
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onehoser » Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 pm

i bit the bullet and ordered the chilly moose 12 volt freezer/fridge from amazon for $399 cdn, free delivery. thank you for all the input helping me decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby fredryc » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:00 am

I have Multiple Sclerosis and wasn't getting enough water in my system because I'd have to go downstairs often to get ice and water. I didn't go down as often as I should because of the fatigue and pain. I have this cozy Portable Ice Maker upstairs and that alone raised my drinking of cold water. The ice cubes are empty on the inside of an otherwise solid piece of ice, which does make it work fast. I fill the little basket with ice cubes (takes a few cycles of making them) and use most of the ice in a 16 oz cup, and then use "cold" water from our tap (we have good water in this area), and I end up with some of the ice melting from the water while still leaving some ice, which makes the perfect glass of water, esp since I drink kind of slow but my main water cup is stainless steel and double walled so that lasts until I need more.
I ordered this one from here https://houseandbeyond.org/best-ice-maker/ and it is so satisfying and an investment in your health (partially regulates blood pressure too by thinning of the blood with water.
fredryc
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions