New guy, new build, 5x10 for hunting and fishing adventures

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New guy, new build, 5x10 for hunting and fishing adventures

Postby Stronggbow » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:33 pm

Hello,

I just picked up a 5x10 trailer today. I've been reading thru all of the build threads and am ready to get to work. I plan on retiring this spring and I want to get it ready to go by then.

I picked the 5x10 because I have a 2019 Toyota Tacoma for my tow vehicle and this trailer fits right behind it. On the 75 mile trip home I did average 16 mpg. And it fit right under my 7' garage door so I can work on it this winter. I live in central Minnesota, so working on it outside is out of the question this time of year.

I'm ready to start taking the walls down and get it insulated. One question, should I install the windows and roof vent before or after I insulate? I've see YouTube videos showing it both ways.

Thanks in advance!
Mark ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Stronggbow
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New guy, new build, 5x10 for hunting and fishing adventu

Postby flboy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 pm

Best of luck on your build and congratulations on your forthcoming retirement.

I always have installed the windows and etc. before Insulation so I can test for leaks prior to "buttoning it all up". Also, needed to be able to frame the window since I had to cut one or more studs to fit the window. I welded in frames ,so that needed to be done beforehand also.

Maybe not necessary if you are installing small windows between the studs?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gulfcoast » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:40 am

I installed vertical windows (eBay) that I did not have to cut any of the frame out. It was easier to install everything while I had my plywood out. How does the Tacoma handle the trailer?
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Postby Stronggbow » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:50 am

I’m planning on installing windows between the metal studs.

It pulled very easily, averaged 16mpg at 65 mph and about 2200 rpms. But it was a calm day. A couple years ago I borrowed a 8x16 trailer to haul a couple pieces of furniture up to my FIL. It was a 200 mile trip and it towed that trailer awful. Hard to maintain 60 mph and got 10 mpg. That factored into my decision on what size to buy, and the being to fit it in my garage cinched it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stronggbow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Stronggbow » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:16 pm

I did get a start on my trailer. I removed those luaun strips that were stapled over the seams and spaces with before and after pictures ImageImage

Stronggbow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Stronggbow » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:19 pm

I used this tool to pry them off. It worked pretty nifty. It's a panel popper used in automotive interior work, like popping door panels and such off when installing new speakers. Which is what I bought it for. It was part of a kit of about 15 different shapes and sizes. ImageImage

Stronggbow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BC Buck » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:47 pm

Are you putting up a vapor barrier and how thick you insulating . My next build will be 2" thick all the way around. I dont know what is worst. 95 deg in sun or zero temp.
BC Buck
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Stronggbow » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:23 pm

I removed the walls, ran wiring, and insulated it. By vapor barrier, are you talking about lining it with plastic also?

I'm doing this in my unheated garage, but the space heater takes a little of the edge off it. ImageImage

Stronggbow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bullchuck1 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:31 pm

You have a good start and looks good. :thumbsup: When it warms up I will be back on mine.
Thanks Mark
bullchuck1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cjlangellier » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:45 am

Your build is looking great so far. Are you planning to heat the trailer and use it during winter? Only reason I ask is that I converted my cargo trailer for ice fishing and snowmobile trips. I insulated my trailer much the same way you did. My biggest regret was not insulating the metal framing with spray foam or using furring strips between the metal studs and the interior paneling. When the temps are below 30 and the heat is running I get a good amount of condensation on all the screw heads due to the temperature difference between the metal studs and the internal paneling. The other regret I had is using single pain RV windows in the build. I get a large amount of condensation off the windows as well. I keep extra hand towels handy to mop up the condensation every couple hours. Just thought I'd offer up my experiences if they can save you any heart ache down the road.
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby Stronggbow » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:13 pm

I've been going back and forth on using the spray foam, I even have 2 or 3 cans of it. After retiring from the USAF, I was a 2-way Motorola radio tech. Part of that job is installing radios into vehicles of all kinds. Sometimes problems in the wiring from the 12vdc power source to the radio would pop up- a bad crimp, nick in the wiring, crimp with corrosion, etc. Because of that, I want to stay away from the spray foam insulation in case I need to remove panels to get access to the wiring.

I plan on using it mostly in the early to late spring for fishing trips, and the entire fall, early to late for hunting and fishing. So I will run into cold weather at times. I'm planning on getting a Buddy Heater. I've read on here of people using cutouts of the rigid foam to place in the windows to keep the heat in.

Thank you for the advice, I'm still not sure which way I'll go on that, though I need to decide soon since I'll be putting the walls back up soon.
Stronggbow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby onehoser » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:27 pm

Stronggbow wrote:I've been going back and forth on using the spray foam, I even have 2 or 3 cans of it. After retiring from the USAF, I was a 2-way Motorola radio tech. Part of that job is installing radios into vehicles of all kinds. Sometimes problems in the wiring from the 12vdc power source to the radio would pop up- a bad crimp, nick in the wiring, crimp with corrosion, etc. Because of that, I want to stay away from the spray foam insulation in case I need to remove panels to get access to the wiring.

I plan on using it mostly in the early to late spring for fishing trips, and the entire fall, early to late for hunting and fishing. So I will run into cold weather at times. I'm planning on getting a Buddy Heater. I've read on here of people using cutouts of the rigid foam to place in the windows to keep the heat in.

Thank you for the advice, I'm still not sure which way I'll go on that, though I need to decide soon since I'll be putting the walls back up soon.

what i did in my 6x12 is put 1/2” styro over the studs without furling strips. when i installed the paneling i left 1.5” gap at the top where i ran the wiring, then i covered that with a piece of trim, very easy to access wiring if needed
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Stronggbow » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:29 pm

"what i did in my 6x12 is put 1/2” styro over the studs without furling strips. when i installed the paneling i left 1.5” gap at the top where i ran the wiring, then i covered that with a piece of trim, very easy to access wiring if needed"

That is an idea. I went and back and looked at your build again (I looked at a lot of builds here before I started on mine).

I'm going to get the basics done in the next month or so, and from there on it will be a continuing work as I add or change things as I see the need for them. I've already told me wife I'll be gone with the dog for most of the fall hunting, which she is fine with since our dog likes to push her buttons.
Stronggbow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Stronggbow » Thu May 18, 2023 10:47 am

I haven't updated in awhile, but I have been busy.

Installed the windows. I had bought 14 x 22" windows, but after measuring and drilling test holes, thru werent going to fit between the studs. My 30 day window of return with Amazon had expired, so I need to sell these. I installed 12 x 22" windows instead.

I also installed a roof vent, non-powered, low profile so I can back my trailer into the 3rd stall in my garage.

Also installed a fold down table, and a little counter in the V-nose section.

An old USAF foot locker up front to store my single burner stove, small Buddy Heater, extra propane bottles, dishes and utensils, etc.

All in all I'm very happy with it. ImageImage

Stronggbow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Stronggbow » Thu May 18, 2023 10:57 am

I took it on its maiden voyage 3 weeks ago up to the Minnesota shore of Lake Superior. Very happy with how it tows, doesn't stick above my Tacoma by much.

I sleep so good in it, my cot with mattress is very comfy, hard to wake up. The Buddy Heater heats it up quickly, and then I turn it off for awhile and when I'm sleeping. The coldest morning was down to 32 F inside, but was toasty in my bag. I spent a total of 7 days/nights in it.

I even caught a couple steelhead.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Stronggbow
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions