Opinions on layouts please.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Opinions on layouts please.

Postby gkaplan » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:12 am

I have put together a couple of layouts for two different sizes, and I'd like your opinion on the pros and cons as you see it. I have been a back pack camper in the past, and a car camper once I got married. Now I have two little girls. I want to get them into the out doors, but we all want a basic and safe place to sleep and hang out in bad weather. I live in Texas, and camp in Arkansas, so AC is a requirement.

After a long RV search I decided that they were too POSH as well as expensive. The cargo conversion occured to me, but the wife was not on board until recently. This due to this forum and the great examples of these conversions.

The layouts should are just the layout, I have not decided on build materials yet, but I think I intend to keep the install as modular and removable as possible.

The Nose layout is the same for all of them and shown here.

A counter for cooking etc, and a private spot for a wag bag potty. Nothing fancy.

In the 6x12 I have a challenge in that I am 6'3" and don't fit across the trailer. So I cam up with two alternatives.

The girls would share a bunk, and my wife and I would take the floor or cots.

Same arrangement for my wife and I , but the girls each get a bunk. This also provides a small amount of additional living space, when in sleep mode.

Bunks taken down for daytime use.

Used to haul a toy.

The next option is to go larger so that I can sleep across the trailer. I though a queen on the bottom, and a double on top for the girls to share.

I am interested in your opinions and insight into what works and what doesn't. I have read a few threads about the merits of windows. I am leaning toward them, but this pretty much means I have to order the trailer, unless I can install them myself.

I was planning on putting the propaine and battery in a box on the front.
Solar, panel, colman polar cub, and a small generator.

Thanks

G Kaplan
gkaplan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby depatty » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 am

I'd go wider. A few inches will make a world of difference. The TTT I'm building is 74" wide inside and I'm 6'1" or 73" tall. By doing that I was able to turn the bed sideways and used an old futon frame so we have a couch in the daytime and bed at night. Left more floor room for other things.

I'd go for small windows that open. The fresh air is nice and a little natural light makes a big difference. Also nice to be able to see out on a rainy (or any) day.

Just my $0.02... Good luck with your build! Keep us posted.
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby gkaplan » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:20 pm

I am strongly considering the 7 foot wide trailer, however the 7x14 adds almost 1 thousand pounds to the tailer. One of the things that appeals to me, is the possibility of towing this with the family mini-van. A smaller trailer will come in around 2000 pounds, which is well within the mini-can capabilities.

I am also thinking of getting one with a translucent roof, so there will be plenty of light. What do you think about flat roof verses rounded??

George.
gkaplan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby depatty » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:25 pm

gkaplan wrote:I am strongly considering the 7 foot wide trailer, however the 7x14 adds almost 1 thousand pounds to the tailer. One of the things that appeals to me, is the possibility of towing this with the family mini-van. A smaller trailer will come in around 2000 pounds, which is well within the mini-can capabilities.

Certainly helps to make the decision to go with the narrower one then doesn't it.. :shock:

I am also thinking of getting one with a translucent roof, so there will be plenty of light. What do you think about flat roof verses rounded??

George.

What about street lights/campground security lights and if doing the parking lot camp-out thing the lights in them. Could make for wakeful nights. Also get more heat buildup in the translucent ones don't you?

Personally I like rounded roofs. See my TTT. :) No place for the water to stand. And gives more head room in the center.

My $0.02 worth... ;)
depatty
Teardrop Master

round roof

Postby starleen2 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Ditto on the rounded roofs. I built two flat tops and was always concerned with standing water. Installing windows can be quite easy if you get the right type. Flange type (used on early mobile homes) install from the outside with an inner butyl sealant tape with little effort - mainly just cut the hole and screw it in place. I built our current trailer to sleep transversely (across the trailer) With the one before (sleeping in line with the trailer), it felt a little snug every time I rolled over and hit the wall. Now I have some open space and it doesn’t fell claustrophobic – Same size bedding in both trailers, just a matter of orientation. My concern would be the generator for the AC unit and the noise factor of the genset. Are you planning to use 30 amp shore power?
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby gkaplan » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:20 am

The weight is a concern, but I can always buy a new vehicle if needed. The family van can go to 3500. My daily driver a Honda Element can only tow 1500. I have had my eye on a new Tundra. :thinking:

I'm good on the rounded roof, I was leaning that way. Good points about the translucent roofs. With a couple windows, it should bring plenty of light in anyway.

Dave, I looked at your album. It looks like you have put quite a bit of work into your thinking and execution. How does it behave being towed at highway speeds? It does look like you have plenty of head room. :thumbsup:

I am concerned about the sleeping layout. 4x8 seems pretty tight for 2 adults and 2 children, which is why I am considering going larger. Did the layouts make sense?

Yea, 30 amp shore power is in order, though with a polar cub, I think I can get away with a 15amp. Maybe its just my perception, but I wasn't too worried about generator noise, since the air conditioner itself makes a lot of noise. I think the DB rating on the Honda is pretty low. I'm considering a Yamaha, tuned for multi fuel.

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com/

George.
gkaplan
Teardrop Inspector

power

Postby starleen2 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:04 pm

There are many options for connecting to shore power. This forum has many detailed schematics. I used a square D box and breakers with 30 amp breakers. Then I plugged in a four square receptacles with built in 15 amp resetable breakers for an added level of redundancy. One piece of advice – Ground fault breakers and or plugs. It just adds another level of protection. Pictures of my electrical are on our website. This is for a guide only - however all electrical is contained in one area.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby depatty » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:57 pm

George,

I was going by your original size layout of 6x12. I agree that 4x8 is way too tight for 4. When I was much younger (late 1960's) my dad bought a 1964 Ford Econoline van and converted it into a camper for the 4 of us. We did one or maybe 2 nights in that tin can and went back to the tent. The cargo area was about 4.5 x 8 in it and with 4 bunks (20 inches wide if memory serves) there wasn't room to turn over or take a deep breath.

With a 6x12 you could have wall mounted (fold down chain or cable hung) bunks for the kids and a day couch/night double/queen sized bed for you and wife, all running length wise.

Over all your layouts look good. The main thing to keep in mind is what is gonna work best for you. I sit and stare at the inside of mine all the time I am not working on it, trying to figure what could be done better or different and what it will look like and live like once everything is in place.

Haven't had that trailer/frame on the road since 1985 when I took it on one trip and parked it. Have moved it around here at the farm and it tracks and moves through the woods and up and down dirt tracks fine. Will let you know when I finish it, get the tag and take it out on the road. I'm wondering how it will handle too.. Hope to know in the next two weeks. ;)

HTH
Dave
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Have you considered going with a taller version of the 2+2?

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear47.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby gkaplan » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:33 am

That does look pretty cool. The main issue is my construction skills and time is limited. I am looking to either buy, or modify something mostly done.

GK
gkaplan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:51 pm

Nice work on the illustrations!

I understand the weight concern, but I don't see why a 7x14 foot trailer should be too heavy. My Boler B1700 has a body over 7' wide and about 14' long (17' overall coupler to bumper) and weighs about 2400 lb dry... with more content (stove with oven, large refrigerator, furnace, water heater, bathroom with shower and flush toilet) than planned here.

Perhaps a lighter cargo trailer should be considered; they come in varying construction for varying loads, and a 7x14 might be heavy because it is a tandem-axle designed to carry tons, rather than a single-axle which only needs to carry a few hundred pounds.

There's a nice cargo trailer made here with a moulded fiberglass body which is quite light if properly spec'd... it's the Shuttle that Catrinka used for her conversion. Unfortunately, it comes in 8' and 6' (and narrower) widths... but not 7'.

I would like my trailer to be narrower for air drag and to be able to see around it - I tow with a minivan, too - but the weight is okay.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions