Pre-made cabinet.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Pre-made cabinet.

Postby digimark » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:17 am

I need to build a small cabinet for my trailer to provide extra storage and countertop and a place to mount some of the equipment. I know I can do it, but it will take a while and I'll probably have to re-do it several times until I get it right, and then it will still not be perfect.

Is there anywhere I can go to buy a pre-made cabinet that I can just screw in and be done with it? Something pulled out of a pop up or dead travel trailer? I don't know where to find such things relatively local to DC/MD... Maybe 4' wide and 2 1/2' deep, with drawers and shelf space behind a door...
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:26 am

mine was 4' by 15" deep. The addition of one of these little steralite drawer units can help keep the little things under control. I picked mine up brand new at a salvage store. Habitat re-stores have them now and then also. Newspaper ads will occasionally list some but you gotta be quick to act.

Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:43 am

These are in my teardrop. I bought the cabinet doors with hinges for $2.50 each. I simply ran 2 additional spars side to side and lined them up to hit level with 2 roof spars. layed 1/4 luan as top and bottom shelf. added uprights to hinge the doors to, total cost about $20.00 total with doors. It holds all the electronics and a ton of camping goodies, and clothes. I added a drawer unit in this cabinet by screwing down a little draw unit same as above.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Prem » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:52 am

digimark,

What bobhenry said: RESTORE - Habitat for Humanity's retail outlets! :thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby digimark » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think I tend to see putting in cabinets as harder than they are. For instance, I think I can screw cabinet doors right to the face frame I built for my shelf -- with the right flush-mount hinges and snaps it will probably be all I have to do.

I built an "L" extension onto the left side of my front shelf -- I'll get a picture up as soon as I've screwed it in and laid down the counter top.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby WA » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:28 pm

The box stores (the orange one and the blue one) have premade cabinets on the floor. Sometimes they have scratch and dent sales with stuff on clearance.

I am probably going to wait until this fall/winter to build my cabinets. I still have some hauling to do before I can begin my conversion in earnest. In the meantime I will use some Rubbermaid storage solutions.
Best,
WA
WA
Teardrop Builder

Postby caseydog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:35 pm

My only concern with pre-made cabinets is that most of them, especially the cheaper ones, are mostly particle board. I'm not talking MDF, either. Particle board.

In a stationery position, like a home bathroom, these cabinets may be alright. But, bouncing down a country road in a TD -- I'd be worried about the cabinets coming apart.

I have some cheap Home Depot cabinet and drawer units in my garage, and I had to reinforce the drawers to keep the drawer fronts from coming off after about six months of use.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby campinwi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Last week I bought a metal shelving unit from Sams club that had little storage drawers. I liked that idea better than the cheaper cabinets due to the moisture issue. Used it this past weekend for camping, worked great. I have a metal bakers rack next to it that I bought at fleet farm to hold my stove and bigger items
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby edcasey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:36 pm

campinwi wrote:Last week I bought a metal shelving unit from Sams club that had little storage drawers. I liked that idea better than the cheaper cabinets due to the moisture issue. Used it this past weekend for camping, worked great. I have a metal bakers rack next to it that I bought at fleet farm to hold my stove and bigger items

Sounds like a nice setup. Any pictures?

Ed
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby campinwi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:54 pm

Haven't taken pictures yet, will try to get some posted this weekend.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions