How Much Added Weight?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

How Much Added Weight?

Postby kempshark » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:19 am

I know it could vary greatly, but I have a question. Do any of you guys know about how much weight you added to your cargo trailer from your interior conversions? I'm thinking bed (or convertible dinette), kitchen, some storage cabinets, a/c, tv, speakers, etc. Like I said, it will definitely vary greatly build to build, but if anyone actually has any before and after weights it would get me some ballpark idea on the weight.

I'm thinking of a 6X12 with the above items. I will most probably be towing it with a 2009 Tacoma, 4-door, longbed, V6, with the tow package. It's rated to tow 6500lbs, but of course I would like to keep it light as possible so I stay as far down on tow weight as possible. Yeah, I know, I want all the amenities without the weight. I might be able to build the cabinets light to save weight for the entertainment system, refrigerator, microwave, stove, a/c.......... :roll: I know.......that's not really camping....but I have to keep the wife happy and be comfortable in the heat of Florida and the Florida Keys.
kempshark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hunter535 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

I am just stabbing in the dark on this one. :crazy:

I have installed insulation, luan, bedding (bunk beds and pullout for us), cabinets, countertop and planning on a small frig, table, stovetop and sink along with all our usual camping gear, 1000# extra over the trailer which weighs in at approximately 2000#.
Again just a guess!
hunter535
Teardrop Master

Postby kempshark » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:19 am

I've noticed that some of you guys have added sinks or I've even seen a stand-up shower or two. Do you put in a tank for the gray water from these? I'm new to anything but tent camping. I wasn't sure if you needed a tank and/or if some campgrounds had hook-up for such waste?
kempshark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:19 am

kempshark,

If you remove the thick, heavy plywood or waferboard (OSB) sides that come inside your trailer and replace with a nice, thin plywood (Luan, Oak, Birch, etc.) you will be starting a couple of hundred pounds UNDER what your trailer weighed empty from the factory.

It's almost impossible to add back even 400-600 pounds unless you're also hauling a motorcycle or a quad (or a load of firewood). The only things that weigh much in my cargo conversion are the steel frame of the futon and the canned food in the pantry. (MAYBE a 100 pounds together)

There's almost no room under a cargo for holding tanks. They are low to the ground. You could run plastic pipe with a conventional dump valve on it and do what you said, have it connected to the sewer at the RV park or campground. Keep the pipe up front or close to the axle so it doesn't get damaged going in and out of parking lots.

Best wishes,

Prem :coffee:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby jeep9806 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:27 pm

This is what we use while camping at a place with no sewer hookup at the site...

Todd
jeep9806
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions