Ford Ranger towing a Pace 6 x 12 enclosed trailer?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby jeep9806 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:19 pm

I have to agree with Digimark when it comes to converted cargos! I tow mine with a 2.8 litre diesel in my Jeep Liberty and have never had a problem with any hills and my cargo is as heavy as they come! I was able to maintain any speed while towing it through the Smoky Mountain National park! And I barely had to hit the brakes on the way down because of the added engine compression! If diesel isnt an option, go with the v6, less stress=longer life!!
Todd
jeep9806
Teardrop Builder

Postby vrodjason » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Coming from someone who has owned almost every engine/trans combo Ford puts in the Rangers, I should tell you not to try to tow with the 4 cyls. Even if they are standard shift. If you are leaning toward the 3.0l get the standard shift. The auto Ford put behind it just doesn't work well for towing or hauling. I had a '98 ext cab 4x4 3.0l auto and traded it for an '01 F-150 with the 5.4l V8. The F-150 got better milage both towing and not towing than the Ranger. The 5.4l actually got better milage than the '00 model F-150 with the 4.6l.

Some food for thought- just because a truck has a big V8 doesn't mean it will suck the gas. I would rather be overpowered with ok milage than underpowered AND bad milage to boot.

With all that said I love my little '94 2.3l 5 speed beater Ranger and its 28.8 mpg! I just dont tow heavy loads(500 lbs +) with it.
vrodjason
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Ford Ranger

Postby satch » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 pm

ronaldito wrote:The dilema here. I have a Silverado 350 engine 3/4 ton and that will suffice towing 6 x 12 enclosed trailer where ever we need to, but I will not be towing it every day or every weekend. My thought was to grab a Ford ranger 2.3 or 2.5 standard for daily use and tow when needed to. The prospect here was to buy a newer vehicle with better fuel mileage...

Silverado 3/4 ton 5.8 engine City 16/20 highway 8)

Ford Ranger 2.3 City 24/? higway :R

If Ranger fuel consumption is grater when towing, that will compensate for my daily city use of 24 mpg. I just want to be sure pulling this size trailer is SAFE!!!!! and towable and not cause an accident.. :thumbdown:

Performance 2003 ranger
Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 2.3 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 4 Horsepower: 143 hp
Max Horsepower: 5250 rpm Torque: 154 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 3750 rpm Maximum Payload: 1260 lbs.
Maximum Towing Capacity: 6070 lbs. Drive Type: RWD
Turning Circle: 37.7 ft.

Looks like not much payload but enough towing capacity.
Pace 6 x 12 says GVWR 2990 lbs but i think that is maximum fully loaded and Pace distributor mentioned 1300 lbs empty weight, and im not putting much weight..

I have this truck. I towed a Dodge Shadow from SF to Sac (100+ miles)and pulled my 16ft speed boat with it. With a 5 speed, she did OK pulling, but dogged heavy on hills. Since I camp in hilly areas, I don't use her as my TV.
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Maximum Towing Capacity: 6070 lbs. Drive Type: RWD

That figure includes weight of the truck, passengers and any gear in the bed
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions