Lighter Weight Trailers

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Lighter Weight Trailers

Postby Franklin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:40 pm

I was looking at some old TT plans and saw some that would fit nicely in a v-nose but when looking up weights on different websites, they all seemed really heavy and we wouldn't be hauling that much or putting like 2,000 lbs of stuff in it. At one point I thought someone was making a lightweight fiberglass one but can't remember who it was. We want to do our own but are working on an older house and figure this would be a quick and still "us". Who manufacturers some of the lightest, yet durable of course. Thanks, Cathy
Franklin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brian_bp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Trailers Unlimited here in Edmonton, Alberta, makes cargo trailers under the Shuttle brand name, with moulded fiberglass bodies at quite reasonable weights. They'll do custom sizes to some extent. Catrinkabuilt her trailer from one of these.

The Shuttle has a tapered (in both width and height) nose - I don't know if that fits the plan as well as a constant-height v-nose.

In general, I think the key is to ignore the obvious suggestion in the product line descriptions to pick the "best" cargo trailer, because that usually means the heaviest. Since you don't need high load capacity, the cheaper line from a given manufacturer is probably more suitable.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mdvaden » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:33 pm

brian_bp wrote:Trailers Unlimited Since you don't need high load capacity, the cheaper line from a given manufacturer is probably more suitable.

That's how I approached buying mine.

A bit less beef, and a bit less weight.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Postby brian_bp » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Just to be clear... the Shuttle line from Trailers Unlimited aren't cheaply made or too light. What I'm getting at is that for a camping conversion if you were getting a 6x12 trailer you would want a single-axle trailer (eg. Shuttle 2000-S6), not the higher-capacity (and thus heavier) tandem of the same box size (e.g. Shuttle 6000-T6). Other manufacturers similarly offer "light duty" and "heavy duty" lines.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Shuttle Q

Postby MegC » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:38 am

Newb here with a question... the Shuttle trailers look like they might be just the ticket for what I've got in mind, but I'm wondering about their pricing/availability in the states or if there's anything else comparable worth looking at.
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:19 am

MegC,

Why don't you call the manufacturer and ask about sales to the states and shipping to a Washington state point of entry. Their phone number is on their website.

NICE trailer for sure! :thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions