How long can i run a satellite reciever and lcd Tv

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

amp hours

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:08 am

The way I see it, your gonna need about 75 watts or more (because your inverter won't be 100% effecient) out of your battery (a SWAG for sure but in the ballpark).

At a nominal voltage of 12 volts thats about 6 amps. More or less. A general rule of thumb is that you can get about 50% of the amp hour rating of your battery out of it before you need to recharge it. So, I don't know the specs of your battery but if you had a 100 amp hour deep cycle battery you might get maybe 8 hours out of it before it needed to be recharged. I doubt that your starting battery is anywhere close to a 100 amp hour battery.

I wouldn't recommend using a starting battery as its not designed for this type of discharge and it's always such a pain to get a jump start! I once encountered a power boat (I was sailing) about 20 miles offshore and they had run down both their batteries with the bait pump. I removed one of my THREE batteries and let them use it to get their engine started. I always had three on board and charged, lived off one only, and kept two in reserve. You can't hand crank or "push" start a 40 hp diesel in a sailboat, ha!

Hope this helps.

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions