Side door changes...?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Side door changes...?

Postby NathanL » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm

My cargo trailer has the traditional cargo design to it on the side. It has a big locking bar that slides down across the whole door into a padlock receiver mounted on the trailer.

What are you doing to replace this? I did look at the side of the door and the aluminum frame has the cut outs for a dead bolt to pass thru.

Talking about changing over to something like a tradition RV door opener that can be opened from both sides...and more importantly not be locked from the outside while I'm inside. :shock:
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Not sure who started it, but there's a solution to the "locked in" problem on this site! Prem has it, and at least one other member. I did the same thing. Eye-bolt through the wall, with a pad lock on it! Mine looks like this:

As for the door latch, I believe most RV stores sell the type you need to be opened from either side. Mine came with my trailer, but I know there's somebody on here who has installed their own, and will hopefully chime in. Here's what you're looking for:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Here is how I installed my side door RV latch. I just took my bar lock off. I was going to leave it on but it only takes a star socket to remove it so off it went. I sealed the holes with silicone and painted the frame so I can always put it back on if I want to.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 pm

That's the one Steve! Great post.

As for removing the cam-lock bar, I was going to do that too for convenience. However, the dealer I bought the trailer from said that over the years he has seen people do that, and then the door becomes loose and doesn't close as tightly as it should. He recommended leavaing the bar in for trailering and to maintain a good seal. Just a heads up from what he said.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Nathan,

Show us a photo of your side door and tell us how wide it is so we can help you.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions